Comp list question

emlm21

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a YA, character-driven dystopian. In the past year or two, any free time was devoted to writing and I've only read a few books (mostly the Outlander series - such great books). Now that I'm working on my comp list, I discovered a LOT of dystopians now have this fantasy twist where most of the MCs have some sort of magical power. My MC is a totally normal person.

I've found a few books that I think might work on a few levels - style, darker themes, secret rebellion, two sides fighting against each other - but I'm worried they'll give off the wrong impression of what my book is. Say, for example, I use "Shatter Me," will the agent think there are powers/gifts (there aren't). Or "The Diabolic" that's more sci-fi or "Masque of the Red Death" that is described as "steampunk" (my book is neither).

Thoughts? I think I'm putting too much thought into this at times, since the agent should have a good idea of what my book is about from my query. I'm reading about a book or two a week and am trying to find books like mine.

Thanks!!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

One way I've seen this type of thing done is: Think [comp book title] with a non-magical protagonist.

Something like that anyway.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

rusoluchka

Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

One way I've seen this type of thing done is: Think [comp book title] with a non-magical protagonist.

Something like that anyway.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Completely agree. If you don't have something like, "Will appeal to fans of SUCH & SUCH," you can give the comp, but with your twist.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
You also don't NEED to force a comp or two into your query. My current agent I snagged with just the synopsis.

However, the problem you point out is that, having focused so much on reading, you aren't as familiar with the current state of the field as maybe you should be. So why you're querying I would dive back into reading, which will have the side effect of giving you more of an idea of how your manuscript fits into the contemporary landscape.

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
You can also use a comp that fits the mood or writing style. For instance, I compared my main character to Noah in THE RAVEN BOYS and Gat in WE WERE LIARS, even though the content of the books wasn't similar. In the query, I made it clear that I was comparing the characters (they all want the same thing/come from similar circumstances) rather than the books themselves.