Anyone heard of this: reMarkable tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
A student came to class with this digital notepad called a reMarkable, and I was thoroughly impressed with it - very lightweight, notes, organizing folders, very clean design and the UI looks very much like paper. The one downside is that it's $500!!!

https://remarkable.com/store/reMarkable-and-marker

Anyone seen or heard of these before?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
A student came to class with this digital notepad called a reMarkable, and I was thoroughly impressed with it - very lightweight, notes, organizing folders, very clean design and the UI looks very much like paper. The one downside is that it's $500!!!

https://remarkable.com/store/reMarkable-and-marker

Anyone seen or heard of these before?

It's brand new to me too Jason, and ouch at $500.00 but very intriguing. I'll be watching for it.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
What intrigued me most was when he showed me how templates work - kinda like Scrivener. He said it's built with writers in mind...so, figured I'd share here in case anyone might either be interested or know more about it and want to share their thoughts :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
What intrigued me most was when he showed me how templates work - kinda like Scrivener. He said it's built with writers in mind...so, figured I'd share here in case anyone might either be interested or know more about it and want to share their thoughts :)

The thing is, for 500.00, you could buy an iPad and Scrivener and a keyboard case. But yes, I'm going to be watching.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be watching, too. The price tag is out of my range for a tablet right now, but I am intrigued.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
If you already have an Android tablet or an iPad, just install OneNote. It's free.

The only advantage to this device is battery consumption. E-Ink is slow but it uses very little power.

-cb

Last edited:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I just wrote with it this morning and it's very smooth. I was pleasantly surprised with the GUI and the templates. Of course I have a lot of prior experience with Photoshop so the icons just made sense to me, but I really liked it. The college ruled paper template and the graph paper template were my two favorites. My one nit is that the pen doesn't seem to have any sort of clip that marries it to the tablet itself for transport, because apparently the tablet charges the pen via proximity.

The guy who brought it says he's had it since the Kickstarter back in October and he's only had to replace the stylus once.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you already have an Android tablet or an iPad, just install OneNote. It's free.

The only advantage to this device is battery consumption. E-Ink is slow but it uses very little power.

-cb

Actually, that's not accurate. There are some visual disabilities that have better usability with E-Ink than even a high res LCD.

And there are users who would prefer a dedicated writing device.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, that's not accurate. There are some visual disabilities that have better usability with E-Ink than even a high res LCD.

^This.

For me, too much time on backlit screens causes me to get headaches. I love my old fashion Nook (I think it's a glow light, but hardly ever use the back light feature) because I can carry dozens of books with me in a large pocket.

The price tag on this seems a bit excessive, but it is now on my list of wants if I ever have a big windfall (buying lottery tickets now to secure the future). I would like to see a video or something of it being used, I hate buying tech without using it for myself first, because I'm persnickety.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I use handwriting recognition most days: I love the AceCad Digimemo, have several of them and dread the day that they all break down and I can't replace them. They work really well for me and I suspect this would, too: but the AceCad has one huge advantage over this, for me. I end up with my handwritten work on paper, plus the digital copy the AceCad saves as I work. The ReMarkable doesn't leave the user with a paper copy too, so if there's a software glitch you could lose all your work. And that would worry me.

But yes, I've been drooling over them, anyway.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
That $500 seems to be an introductory price:

Price includes VAT, customs and duties.The current price ($499) is a limited offer.”

I’d expect that price to go up a bit once they reach final rollout.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
^This.

For me, too much time on backlit screens causes me to get headaches. I love my old fashion Nook (I think it's a glow light, but hardly ever use the back light feature) because I can carry dozens of books with me in a large pocket.

The price tag on this seems a bit excessive, but it is now on my list of wants if I ever have a big windfall (buying lottery tickets now to secure the future). I would like to see a video or something of it being used, I hate buying tech without using it for myself first, because I'm persnickety.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpUPpiV7gAo&feature=youtu.be

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe so, but still a bit too pricey for my budget :(

JayMass

Registered
Reaction score
My one nit is that the pen doesn't seem to have any sort of clip that marries it to the tablet itself for transport, because apparently the tablet charges the pen via proximity.

Actually, while being able to clip the pen to the tablet would be nice, the tablet does not need to "charge" the pen; the pen does not have what you could call a battery but a capacitor that gets power from the tablet's magnetic field when you use it, as you use it. While it does retain a very little charge for a little while (seconds, minutes at most), it is not a battery that needs to be charged before use.

This is how most modern tablet pens work today. Here is the time in the promo video where they mention this: https://youtu.be/zpUPpiV7gAo?t=141

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. I thought the iPad was the most expensive tablet.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I use handwriting recognition most days: I love the AceCad Digimemo, have several of them and dread the day that they all break down and I can't replace them. They work really well for me and I suspect this would, too: but the AceCad has one huge advantage over this, for me. I end up with my handwritten work on paper, plus the digital copy the AceCad saves as I work. The ReMarkable doesn't leave the user with a paper copy too, so if there's a software glitch you could lose all your work. And that would worry me.

But yes, I've been drooling over them, anyway.

How much is the AceCad digimemo? I need something that will convert handwriting to text because I write by hand a lot.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
How much is the AceCad digimemo? I need something that will convert handwriting to text because I write by hand a lot.

They aren't made anymore. You just have to try to get them on eBay when they come up. I've seen them for sale for anything from £5 to £100.

Make sure you buy one which includes MyScript Notes, as you need that software to convert your handwriting.

It will only convert work you write on the AceCad. You can't scan in handwriting which hasn't been done on the AceCad.

You could also consider the DaneElec Z-Pen (I think). Just search for "digital pen" on eBay and see what comes up.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
They aren't made anymore. You just have to try to get them on eBay when they come up. I've seen them for sale for anything from £5 to £100.

Make sure you buy one which includes MyScript Notes, as you need that software to convert your handwriting.

It will only convert work you write on the AceCad. You can't scan in handwriting which hasn't been done on the AceCad.

You could also consider the DaneElec Z-Pen (I think). Just search for "digital pen" on eBay and see what comes up.

OK. Thank you. :)

gimli

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.newperspectivestudio.co.za
It certainly looks very remarkable. I love the design , however i see no reviews on their site. Or specifications tht are in depth. I suppose most people would not care for that. wHO AM I TO JUDGE ANYWAY I REMEMBER WHEN hUAWEI first came out with crappy little smart phones and tablets and look at them now.

I would love to fiddle on one of these though although, like those toys we used to have as kids that had the metal pieces inside and the magnetic pen and you would shake it to clear it up .... only way better. In South Africa i have heard no mention of them. Give it half a year maybe a year and it should start popping up on our shores lol. Nice Find

Last edited:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Giddy as a kid at Christmas!

Was just on my weekly conference call with my manager, who has me ramping up on several new sub-fields in the telecommunications space (as in new to practically the entire world, so lots of technical papers to read, some internal content, new acronyms, and such). He had said he'd started to dive in and stopped because he had to take so many notes and it was too time consuming given everything else he had going on.

I said - ya know, funny you mention that, because a guy that actually came through one of the classes had this new device and now swears by it for all his tech notes - boss said to send him the link to it, and he'd think about it...

I thought there was no way in hell it would ever fly, but now - who knows? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.