question about the word "Oriental"

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've only learned in the past year or so that the word "Oriental" is now considered derogatory. (It wasn't when I was a kid, to the extent that the Chinese family of a friend of mine had an "Oriental Market" -- their term.)

I say this to preface a problem I'm encountering with a memoir I wrote a few years ago, but still hope to sell. My parents collected what we called "Oriental rugs," which came from all over Asia from Turkey and Bessarabia to Persia (not Iran, because they collected antiques) and Azerbaijan to Samarkand and China.

I have a problem calling them Asian rugs, when we didn't call them that at the time...and I also have a problem with causing offense when no offense is intended. So the question is: is the problem with the term Oriental confined to its use in describing people, or does it apply to objects too?

For people, I use the ethnicity of origin or ancestry.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score

I've only learned in the past year or so that the word "Oriental" is now considered derogatory. (It wasn't when I was a kid, to the extent that the Chinese family of a friend of mine had an "Oriental Market" -- their term.)

I don't have an answer to your question. Just wanted to say I'm relieved I'm not the only one late to the "oriental is a derogatory term" bandwagon. I just found out in the past couple years myself and felt like a jerk for not knowing about it sooner.

It's not a word that anyone I know ever uses in conversation, which is probably why it took me so long to find out, but I always just assumed it wasn't used because, just like its counterpoint, "occidental,"* it was archaic.

At least we know now! Better late than never.

*Plus countless other words I only know from reading old books

Last edited:

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Merriam-Webster Dictionary tries to note when words have derogatory connotations. M-W notes that "Oriental," used to describe a person, often has a derogatory connotation. The dictionary doesn't note any negative connotation for "Oriental rug," which gets a separate entry.

I live in a college town in the midwestern US. I've heard people talk about oriental rugs.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live in a highly mixed community with Asians of multiple nationalities in the mash-up, and the word "Oriental" is indeed one that's not said here--except in the names of things, including Oriental rugs, markets that have chosen such a name, etc.

So the international carpet seller in business nearby still lists Oriental rugs among its wares--although in the nearby city with almost no Asian population, such rugs seem to have been renamed Persian rugs. I gather more of them are/were made in the countries that once were Persia than in the Orient anyway.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Orient originally meant "the east" which was subdivided into Near east and Far east (really!).

It became frowned upon in academic circles in the 1960s because it's not accurate, and it lumps very different and unrelated cultures together.

It became increasingly not accepted until the late 1980s when it became flagged in style guides as often derogatory.

The American Heritage Dictionary has a useful Usage Note.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It is complicated, because we still have "oriental markets" in my area, even though using the term to describe a person is considered racist here. It used to be used to describe anyone who looked like they had east-Asian ancestry. Now the term "Asian" is used instead--in the western US, at least.

I've spoken to people from the UK who are baffled by this, though. They point out that "Asian" is inaccurate, because people from India, the Middle East, and parts of the former USSR are also "Asian," but we don't use that term to describe their ethnic heritage or identity. I had a friend who grew up in Hawaii who was also baffled by the term "Asian," because in Hawaii, people were more inclined to identify as a specific culture or ancestry, such as Chinese, or Japanese, or Filipino, or Polynesian or whatever. White people were the minority group that had a special label there (Haoles).

I played a game a while back, one that was developed in the UK I think, that referred to the game's version of the middle East as the "Orient" and its version of Europe as the "Occident." I thought that was interesting, because of course the latter term means "The West," but when I was a kid, people never referred to people of European ancestry as "Occidentals." In the game, though, the European like land masses were north and the Middle Eastern like ones were south.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thanks, all, for the replies!

Calling the rugs "Persian" should only apply to those from what is now Iran. And a great many of the ones my folks collected didn't come from there...although many did. Not gonna use that moniker.

But I'm relieved to know that usage of "Oriental" for things is allowable. That makes life a lot simpler. Thanks especially for the dictionary link and references.

And yeah, half of my own genes come from the Near Eastern end of Asia, so I'm well aware I should be classed as Asian too...but usually am not.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Strictly speaking, “Persian”is a Greek word used by foreigners to describe the people of that region. The Iranians never called themselves “Persians” at any point in their history.

I don’t know if the distinction is important to Iranians. I don’t know anything about standard antiques and history terminology. I just point out that that people so far as I know has always called themselves “Iranians” and it is not a modern thing.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... Only Oriental rugs is fine; no other objects. But even then, suggest use with caution. Rugs vary by region and are usually identified ethnically. Orient is ok, but rarely used now. Never oriental to describe a person.

/shrug.

PS. Occident was commonly used a long while back.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, “Persian”is a Greek word used by foreigners to describe the people of that region. The Iranians never called themselves “Persians” at any point in their history.

I don’t know if the distinction is important to Iranians. I don’t know anything about standard antiques and history terminology. I just point out that that people so far as I know has always called themselves “Iranians” and it is not a modern thing.

The Iranians I've met have often called themselves "Persian," but that may be because the majority of them were selling rugs. I still won't use the word "Iranian" when referring to rugs because we never did that.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for stopping in, Snitchcat. And thanks for the caution. I only use the term when referring to the spectrum of rugs, not individual ones.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Hmm... Only Oriental rugs is fine; no other objects. But even then, suggest use with caution. Rugs vary by region and are usually identified ethnically. Orient is ok, but rarely used now. Never oriental to describe a person.

/shrug.

PS. Occident was commonly used a long while back.

There's a private liberal-arts college in Southern CA called "Occidental." I think it was named that because of it's West-Coast location, not because its a repository of western culture. I could be wrong, though.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score

I have no idea about the history of the terminology, but when I was little, my best friend was a refugee from Iran. I don't remember if she called herself Persian, or not, but it is definitely a word her family used. (For example, she tried to teach me to read Persian.)

ETA: Siri beat me to this idea. On the ball as usual.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for stopping in, Snitchcat. And thanks for the caution. I only use the term when referring to the spectrum of rugs, not individual ones.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
That makes sense - the generic 'Oriental' for that type of rug, specific names for rugs of specific origins.

AFAIR, the uptick in people calling themselves 'Persian' happened around the time that U.S./Iranian relations went bad, back in the '80s. People who had immigrated to North America didn't want to be associated with what was going on in Iran. So, they went with the older name.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm totally comfortable with the term "Oriental rugs". When I did a study abroad program in England with a bunch of other Californian students, we were horrified when we saw the "Oriental section" of Sainsbury's, and took lots of pictures of the sign. I lived there for years and I never got used to it, even though it was referring to items. I'd also hear it being used to refer to people, and I always felt the ick factor, although I was too embarrassed to correct people. I did correct them when they used "Chinaman" and "chinky" for takeout, though.

Err, in conclusion, I think it's okay for rugs, less okay for other items, and definitely not okay for humans.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Side note, for everyone:

"Chinaman", "chinky" and "chink".

All three terms are extremely derogatory and insulting. Not only are they bigoted, and racist, they carry connotations as bad as, or worse than, n***** and c****.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for the imput, Putputt!

Yes, "chink" is a huge no-no, and has been for a long time. When my mother was working in the Boeing plant during WWII as a teenager during the summer, she had to join the union. She was forced to vow never to allow n*****s, ch***s, or k***s into the union. She wanted to help the war effort, and she needed the money. She raised her right hand and crossed the fingers of her left hand behind her back. Her best friend at the time, and someone she's still in contact with, was/is Jewish.

On the other hand, my contact with Persian people in this book occurred in the 1960s, so the current situation has nothing to do with the name. They may also have simply been using the name they knew most Americans would recognize.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think the remnants of 'Persia' officially became 'Iran' in the 1930's when the Shah had it changed. So, I would imagine for older people, Persia would come more easily to the tongue, and how other people would still think of it. In 'Oklahoma', the '40s musical, set in the earlier 1900s, Ali Hakim is described as a 'Persian peddlar' (although this may merely have been part of his peddlar's mystique: 'exotic foreign treasures' etc). In the movie, he was played by Eddie Albert.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That sounds about right. The Persia to Iran switch happened in the 1930s. The huge popularity of Oriental rugs started in the 1920s. The Persian rug dealers may have moved to the US before the switch happened.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
The feedback I've often seen is "Don't call me Oriental, I'm not a rug." That indicates to me that it's using the term to describe a person that causes offense.

Based on essays such as Said's "Orientalism," it does seem that the term "Oriental" was created (or at least commonly used) to exoticize the East, and it may be this that people object to as it's sort of dehumanizing. Based on what I (a non-historian) have seen of language from different time periods it may simply be that the term fell out of use except in the case of a) referring to the "Other," and b) referring to rugs. As such, I wouldn't use it unless I was mimicking a particular historical era with reference works, or referring to decorative pieces.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Side note, for everyone:

"Chinaman", "chinky" and "chink".

All three terms are extremely derogatory and insulting. Not only are they bigoted, and racist, they carry connotations as bad as, or worse than, n***** and c****.

I would hope this side note is not even needed, but one never knows.

I would say yes to Oriental rugs, but no to anything else. My husband would have an absolute seizure if someone called him Oriental...and I wouldn't blame him. It's the height of ignorance. Although, in retrospect...the side note above would be much worse. But weighing worse-s gets one no where.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I'd hope that side note wasn't necessary too!

I've gone through the entire memoir and found two uses of Oriental that had nothing to do with rugs. Both referred to gardens. I changed both of them.

Thank you, one and all!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

And yes, "Orientalism" was a thing. You can hear it in Mozart's Abduction from the Seraglio (I'm not gonna try to spell the German title) and you can see it in the Royal Pavilion at Brighton. It was the West's take on the exotic East. I like both and am not suggesting a boycott of such historic works, but there's a difference between making art out of something exotic (the East did some similar things btw, you can see it in some Japanese prints and some Chinese porcelains) and "othering" people.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal