question about the word "Oriental"

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I stumbled across it today and I really wanted to put in my two cents.

My honey is Japanese and he reallllly dislikes the word Oriental, and has for years. He rolls his eyes and mutters, "White people telling us what to call ourselves." He wants to be called Japanese. His take on it is that Westerners are particularly bad at identifying Asians. It's the whole, "Everyone looks Chinese" thing that bothers him. He says Asians can basically tell each other apart just by facial structure or body cues. Westerners have more trouble identifying Vietnamese from Korean from Thai, etc. My honey says Europeans can tell each other apart by these ridiculously subtle cues; someone's extra sharp jawline and particular height means they're Russian, not Greek. They can identify those miniscule cues, but they can't take the time to learn the same subtle cues in Asian faces and bodies. Instead of taking the time to learn the difference, they just slap a name on everyone and call everyone Oriental. He says Oriental is a lazy term for people who can't identify Korean from Chinese.

I also realize some of this can be taken as reverse racism, and believe me, him and I have talked about that. I'm not here to say he's right or wrong, I'm only voicing his view on why he dislikes that word. Haha, if we want to derail, I have lots of things I'd like to say, but I'll keep it on topic. I'm only here to express why he finds that term offensive.

However, the term oriental rugs or gardens would be fine for him. It describes a feature, and isn't an identifier so he doesn't find it racist in that usage.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
His sentiments echo mine, and I'm not Japanese. :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I stumbled across it today and I really wanted to put in my two cents.

My honey is Japanese and he reallllly dislikes the word Oriental, and has for years. He rolls his eyes and mutters, "White people telling us what to call ourselves." He wants to be called Japanese. His take on it is that Westerners are particularly bad at identifying Asians. It's the whole, "Everyone looks Chinese" thing that bothers him. He says Asians can basically tell each other apart just by facial structure or body cues. Westerners have more trouble identifying Vietnamese from Korean from Thai, etc. My honey says Europeans can tell each other apart by these ridiculously subtle cues; someone's extra sharp jawline and particular height means they're Russian, not Greek. They can identify those miniscule cues, but they can't take the time to learn the same subtle cues in Asian faces and bodies. Instead of taking the time to learn the difference, they just slap a name on everyone and call everyone Oriental. He says Oriental is a lazy term for people who can't identify Korean from Chinese.

I also realize some of this can be taken as reverse racism, and believe me, him and I have talked about that. I'm not here to say he's right or wrong, I'm only voicing his view on why he dislikes that word. Haha, if we want to derail, I have lots of things I'd like to say, but I'll keep it on topic. I'm only here to express why he finds that term offensive.

However, the term oriental rugs or gardens would be fine for him. It describes a feature, and isn't an identifier so he doesn't find it racist in that usage.

I'm sure this is true for some people, but I've been misidentified more times than I can count by people just walking up and speaking a (European) language they assume I speak, happily saying, 'you're <one of the two or three nationalities/ethnicities people usually guess that are all completely wrong>, right?!' or insisting I or my relatives must be from X, when they're from noplace near there.

I don't disagree westerners have a problem with not differentiating between Asian nations (just ask Jeff Probst), but I don't think most people are much better at discerning nationality from European nations.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Hmm, I may be wrong, but haven’t there been studies that show that people are better at identifying members of their own race? I’m pretty good at identifying specific East asian races, but not ...every other race, heh. Mr Putt and I once did a test to see if we could differentiate between European faces. He got like 90% correct and I got maybe 12%? I was like, “I dunno, you guys just look white to me!” :D I guess given how terrible I am at identifying other races, I wouldn’t hold it against anyone, not even other Asians, if they can’t tell which specific Asian race I am, heh.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard the term "Eurasian" lately, and technically Europe and Asia combine to make one continent. At first glance it seems like a word to offend everyone. But yeah, learned some time ago about "oriental."

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oriental applied to people has been regarded as offensive in standard U.S. English for a long time.

Here's the Usage note from the American Heritage Dictionary:

Usage Note: Oriental is now considered outdated and often offensive in American English when referring to a person of Asian birth or descent. While this term is rarely intended as an outright slur, and may even be thought polite by some speakers, it is so associated with stereotypical images of Asians as portrayed in the West during an earlier era that its use in ethnic contexts should be routinely avoided. However, Oriental retains a certain currency in referring to Asian arts, foods, and practices, such as traditional medical procedures and remedies, where it is unlikely to give offense.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

In the US, so many of us are mixed ethnic/mixed race that it's hard to identify specific nationalities. Only a couple of people have identified me correctly. It may be annoying, but it's not the stuff of prejudice. Not usually. (Except when I'm being judged by the turban, but that's a different topic.)

And yes, after I started this thread, I recalled a friend who is a Doctor of Oriental Medicine, not exactly a negative title.

And as stated upstream, I've checked everything with a fine tooth comb. Removing "Oriental" from the descriptions of the gardens has improved clarity and removed redundancy, so that's good.

Keep on if you wish.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal