• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Question for Americans

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
A few sheep-referencing idioms that are probably understood, and sometimes used, by most Americans.

Sheepish (to reference looking a bit embarrassed or chagrined)
Pulling the wool over someone's eyes
A wolf in sheep's clothing
gentle as a lamb
wooly (to denote fuzzy)
sheep being used as a metaphor for people who are passive followers
"sheeples"
Dodge trucks being "ram" tough
Counting sheep
Black sheep of the family
Separating sheep from the goats (Biblical reference, I believe)
Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb
Like a lamb to the slaughter
March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb
Two shakes of a lamb's tail
Butting heads with someone (I believe this idiom is derived from the behavior of rams, or maybe male goats).

Last edited:

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
You have your answer, but for the record, this --

I haven't heard "sheep's eyes" in a long time, but it was very common years ago and definitely used in the way you describe.

I'm almost 60 years old and knew of nothing British when I first heard "sheep's eyes."

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, when I hear "Googly Eyes", I first think of glasses with eyeballs bouncing on springs. And then I think of craft supplies. :)

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Heh, when I hear "Googly Eyes", I first think of glasses with eyeballs bouncing on springs. And then I think of craft supplies. :)

Ha, yes. Outside that context I'd think of "googly eyes" as eyes that are bugging out with shock. Very different from "goo-goo eyes."

bellsmuir

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's technically an American expression, but as an American, I like it and I'm going to steal it from the Brits. Maybe it'll catch on.

Lisa Driscoll

Lisa D.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sassycatchat.com
Absolutely as an American I would read "sheep's eyes" and stop to think WTF? It would ruin the flow of the moment for me. Others have given you good comments and I'd use puppy dog eyes if you're trying to convey either love or hopefulness.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Largely depends on the listener. A lot of people I know would say something along the lines of Geez, get a room.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I hadn't heard the phrase "sheep eyes" prior to this thread, but if I ran into it in a novel I'd probably figure out what it meant from the context and assume it was a regional or generational expression. Sometimes I think writers don't give their readers enough credit. I've certainly learned a lot of new expressions and words from seeing them used in print. It's one thing I rather enjoy about reading, actually.

In the US, I've most often heard the term "puppy dog eyes" to mean someone who is passively begging or pleading with someone else who has turned down a request. The answer is, "no," so stop it with those puppy dog eyes!"

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I tuned into yesterday's episode of Pointless (a quiz show on the BBC, in which contestants win by providing the most obscure answers to questions) and one of which was turns of speech involving animals.

Guess what was on the board? Ironically, instead of yelling out the answer as I normally do, I was mulling over whether it might instead be puppy dog's/cow's eyes.

By the way, I decided to avoid sheep's eyes in my piece.

Last edited:

Xenia

Registered
Reaction score
I am from the united states (NY) and have never heard that expression before.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I have an American character reflecting that two other characters are making themselves faintly ridiculous by making sheep's eyes at each other. Not sure whether that is a strictly British idiom, or whether Americans would also use it. It should be obvious from context what is meant, but if it is not something Americans would ever use, I shall have to give the observation to another character.

For the record it means gazing at someone in a foolishly amorous manner.
Midwest USA -

Doe eyes.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard "sheep's eyes" in a long time, but it was very common years ago and definitely used in the way you describe.

"Cow eyes" meant someone with big eyes.

"Puppy dog eyes" meant soulful, innocent eyes. (Mom always said, "Oh, don't give me those puppy dog eyes" when we wanted something. heh)

Way back then.

Yep. Puppy eyes is my kids trying to get something.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
From the American Heritage Dictionary, which focuses on U.S. language:

Sheep's-eyes

l.n.
Shyly amorous glances.

The OED for the phrase:

1. Phr.
Thesaurus »

a. to cast (also throw) a sheep's-eye at (or upon), now usually to cast (occasionally to make) sheep's-eyes at: to look lovingly, amorously, or longingly at.
a1529 J. Skelton Poems against Garnesche in Poet Wks. (1843) I. 121 When ye kyst a shepys ie,..[At] mastres Andelby.
a1586 Sir P. Sidney Arcadia (1590) ii. ii. sig. P3 Mopsa, throwing a great number of sheeps eyes vpon me.
1631 B. Jonson Bartholmew Fayre v. iv. 78 in Wks. II Hero..seeing Leanders naked legge, and goodly calfe, Cast at him, from the boat, a Sheepes eye, and a halfe.
1726 W. R. Chetwood Voy. & Adventures Capt. R. Boyle 247 Don Manuel cast many a Sheep's Eye at my Wife, and his good Lady at me.
1738 Swift Compl. Coll. Genteel Conversat. 30 I have often seen him cast a Sheep's Eye out of a Calf's Head at you.
1802 G. Colman Broad Grins 58 He, the beast! was casting sheeps-eyes at her, Out of his bullock head.
1809 B. H. Malkin tr. A. R. Le Sage Adventures Gil Blas I. i. iv. 38 I could not help casting a sheep's eye at the gold and silver plate peeping out of the different cupboards.
1847 Thackeray Vanity Fair (1848) xxvii. 236 The horrud old Colonel,..was making sheep's eyes at a half-caste girl there.
1888 J. Bryce Amer. Commonw. I. xix. 262 Local leaders cast sheep's eyes at the seat.

Notice that it's used in Early Modern English; pre-U.S. settlement by Europeans.

Last edited: