high definition audio driver for win 10

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
My pc is only about 5 yrs old but Microsoft thinks it's about a hundred. Twice I have had to reset windows (my problems). The first time I was again able to find the right driver and install it, but this time I just can't.

Would getting a new sound card be the solution? Would signing up for an online driver finder, or whatever? I've contacted the maker of the motherboard but nothing. I've tried missing around in device manager quite a bit but nothing.

What can I do?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
We're talking about which bean made it fart. Maybe a set of symptoms and some hardware specs might help.

-cb

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I should have given you more. I had to reset windows 10 on my pc. Microsoft through out several programs it found outdated. Some drivers went with them. High Definition Audio Driver was one of them. I can't seem to find anyone that has another one I can download. I suppose a new sound card would be the best.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Unless you have very old hardware, sound cards are now integrated onto the motherboard. Users seldom buy a separate sound cards unless they have a very specific application in mind such as high-end gaming or movie / sound editing. Buying a cheap sound card could set back your PC to the good ol' days, which _may_ make the problem worse. Prepare to fork out some dough to have Win10-compatible gear, which I guess defeats the purpose in your case.

It looks like you are trying to upgrade a PC that was not certified for Windows 10, hence the lack of suitable drivers. The manufacturer should either have some notice for your specific board model & make or a list of compatible hardware.

-cb

Last edited:

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you cbenoi1. Was rated compatible by Microsoft several times and updated as well. Can almost buy a new pc to met my needs as put a new sound system in this one.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Like Microsoft cares. Stay away from online driver finders!!! Beware top search results, especially if using Bing. Get your drivers from the manufacturer of the computer or its soundcard. Device manager should give you the information you need. If not, manufacturer's specs for the computer (be very specific with model number etc.)

If you had it working in 10 before, you can get it working again.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Matera. It's been working with all the window's 10 builds except two. Got it working again once but can't this time. Realteck does not support the device anymore. I'm trying HP again now.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I finally solved the problem. I give you the steps here in case you need. Worked for me with an HP h9 1150 pc, may not for you. My pc is fully updated with latest windows 10 build and security updates.

Go to your pc control panel, device manager, sound.

Click on "idt high definition audio codex"

select
"update driver"

select
"browse my computer for driver software"

select
"let me pickup a list of device drivers on my pc"

select
"high definition audio device" (not idt high definition...) this is important.

A warning box appears. Ignore and click "yes".

Windows should update.

Last edited: