Moving to London!

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm American, and I'll be moving to London in August for grad school. I'd love to "meet" some other writers on here before I jump the pond! Any other Londoners, native or transplant?

Zoe R

Fluffhead! Fluffy fluffy head!
Registered
Reaction score
I am back in America, but I went to grad school in England :) Hope you have a killer time!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some videos that may be of use, if you know nothing of living in modern-day London....

In case you did not know of the crime trend of moped robberies in London, https://theconversation.com/five-fa...e-according-to-an-expert-in-criminology-86707

London moped attack example (watch for two guys on one moped coming up, and throw keys on the ground, away from attackers, if you ever find yourself in this situation): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoOdvvFkXaI

Watch this video from 3:25 to 4:02 for some info on stores in winter and more on moped crime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4Q6eQYHIg&t=6s

Watch the "Why British Hate Immigrants" and "work visas" videos, if you want to stay in London after you graduate: https://www.youtube.com/user/naveregnide/search?query=visa

British vs. American playlist videos are educational, if interested: https://www.youtube.com/user/naveregnide/playlists

Read up on the Higher Education and Research Act of 2017. Higher education institutions are deemed "higher education corporations." I think the public got fed up with government paying for citizens to go to school. I think it's an attempt to privatize higher education. Higher education is a different animal in England today.

There are different traditions you will need to learn about going to school in England, such as Michaelmas (first day of school at Cambridge, I believe). Other schools follow this, and not just in England. Check your school's academic calendar; at least know what Michaelmas is.

Look up Freshers Week, I think this is germane to undergraduate only, but I do not know. There's a lot of partying, so expect a lot of irresponsible kids, on campus, doing irresponsible things being away from parents for the first time.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm American, and I'll be moving to London in August for grad school. I'd love to "meet" some other writers on here before I jump the pond! Any other Londoners, native or transplant?

Have a great time!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Oh, you lucky duck! Which uni? What will you be working on?

London's great. So much to see and do. I haven't lived there for *cough* decades, so I can't offer any useful advice.

Watch the "Why British Hate Immigrants" and "work visas" videos, if you want to stay in London after you graduate: https://www.youtube.com/user/naveregnide/search?query=visa

British vs. American playlist videos are educational, if interested: https://www.youtube.com/user/naveregnide/playlists

Dearie me. What a pillock.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Helix: I think the video author's comments are valid concerns to know, whether you find his opinions stupid or not is your opinion.

Zoe R

Fluffhead! Fluffy fluffy head!
Registered
Reaction score
Helix: I think the video author's comments are valid concerns to know, whether you find his opinions stupid or not is your opinion.

I would say it's not a question of validity as much as intensity. If someone says they are going to NYC do you immediately tell them people get raped in Central Park, and you will probably get robbed? London is a lovely city, mix in some positives lol

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I live within a stone's throw of London - I spent more than half of my working life in the city - and I genuinely believe it to be one of the most accepting, free-thinking, vibrant, tolerant, clean, safe, fun cities in the world. There is crime, like anywhere, but a few sensible precautions would generally keep it away from you. Criminals pick the easiest targets. I have been mugged in happy hippy Glastonbury festival with its bells and crystal healers but never had so much as a close call in "crime-ridden" London.

Having worked there I have had a bit of a love-hate relationship with the place, but stand on one of the bridges as the sun goes down and the lights go up and even cynical old me is filled with pride and awe.

Welcome @s_nov, and enjoy.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I would say it's not a question of validity as much as intensity. If someone says they are going to NYC do you immediately tell them people get raped in Central Park, and you will probably get robbed? London is a lovely city, mix in some positives lol

I think the author's intensity had purpose. He felt, at the time, like he had little going for him, because the government turned the screws on him. In a later video, he speaks of acquiring a new visa for long term. I think he discusses it in the work visa video, but I forget. I haven't watched that video in a good while.

No question, there are wonderful things about London. There are nasty bits too. It's important to know how to swim before cannonballing into the deep end of the pool.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I think the author's intensity had purpose. He felt, at the time, like he had little going for him, because the government turned the screws on him. In a later video, he speaks of acquiring a new visa for long term. I think he discusses it in the work visa video, but I forget. I haven't watched that video in a good while.

No question, there are wonderful things about London. There are nasty bits too. It's important to know how to swim before cannonballing into the deep end of the pool.

He said, "Now in America, I'm a first class citizen. I'm a white, straight male. How much more privileged can I get? However, interestingly enough, that's not enough in the UK. Because I'm American, I'm actually heavily discriminated against."

Definitely a pillock.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some videos that may be of use, if you know nothing of living in modern-day London....

In case you did not know of the crime trend of moped robberies in London, https://theconversation.com/five-fa...e-according-to-an-expert-in-criminology-86707

London moped attack example (watch for two guys on one moped coming up, and throw keys on the ground, away from attackers, if you ever find yourself in this situation): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoOdvvFkXaI

Watch this video from 3:25 to 4:02 for some info on stores in winter and more on moped crime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4Q6eQYHIg&t=6s

Read up on the Higher Education and Research Act of 2017. Higher education institutions are deemed "higher education corporations." I think the public got fed up with government paying for citizens to go to school. I think it's an attempt to privatize higher education. Higher education is a different animal in England today.

There are different traditions you will need to learn about going to school in England, such as Michaelmas (first day of school at Cambridge, I believe). Other schools follow this, and not just in England. Check your school's academic calendar; at least know what Michaelmas is.

Look up Freshers Week, I think this is germane to undergraduate only, but I do not know. There's a lot of partying, so expect a lot of irresponsible kids, on campus, doing irresponsible things being away from parents for the first time.

For context, I'm from London and lived there most of my life, but have now moved away. My eldest is at Imperial College in South Kensington.

As cities go, London is incredibly safe and secure. Moped attacks are very rare. They make the news because they are so unusual.

We British do not hate immigrants. We love them, on the whole. And London is far more inclusive than much of the rest of the country. Immigrants have made our country what it is today, and having a culturally and racially diverse population makes for a much more interesting place. Yes, there are some people who are racist bigots but they're rare, particularly in London, where diversity is the norm.

I have no idea what Michelmas is, and my eldest doesn't either. It might be important at Cambridge but Cambridge is an odd place, full of ritual and tradition. It really isn't representative of the rest of the UK.

Freshers Week is not necessarily full of "irresponsible kids". It's a week full of special events, which is organised in order to allow new students to hit the ground running. It's an incredibly busy time. It gives them an introduction to their new university, shows them where everything is and how everything works, introduces them to all the societies and sporting activities available to them (for example, Imperial College has an Assassins' Club, where team members have to plan to "assassinate" other team members without actually hurting them for real: it's amazing what they get up to and it's a brilliant example of creative thought put into action).

Note also that the London universities are not campus universities. They are almost all part of the city around them, and not cut off from the rest of London's population.

He might have felt that our Government "turned the screws on him" but the terms of a student visa are clearly defined, and tuition fees are made clear before one even applies to any of our universities: it's not like they're kept hidden until you've committed to come here.

You do seem to have a very negative view of London that does not match my experience of the place, or those of my friends.

Anyway. I'm derailing.

OP, have a wonderful time in London. Prepare to work very hard, and make the very most of your time. It's a fabulous, inspiring city full of opportunities and excitement.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For context, I'm from London and lived there most of my life, but have now moved away. My eldest is at Imperial College in South Kensington.

As cities go, London is incredibly safe and secure. Moped attacks are very rare. They make the news because they are so unusual.

We British do not hate immigrants. We love them, on the whole. And London is far more inclusive than much of the rest of the country. Immigrants have made our country what it is today, and having a culturally and racially diverse population makes for a much more interesting place. Yes, there are some people who are racist bigots but they're rare, particularly in London, where diversity is the norm.

I have no idea what Michelmas is, and my eldest doesn't either. It might be important at Cambridge but Cambridge is an odd place, full of ritual and tradition. It really isn't representative of the rest of the UK.

Freshers Week is not necessarily full of "irresponsible kids". It's a week full of special events, which is organised in order to allow new students to hit the ground running. It's an incredibly busy time. It gives them an introduction to their new university, shows them where everything is and how everything works, introduces them to all the societies and sporting activities available to them (for example, Imperial College has an Assassins' Club, where team members have to plan to "assassinate" other team members without actually hurting them for real: it's amazing what they get up to and it's a brilliant example of creative thought put into action).

Note also that the London universities are not campus universities. They are almost all part of the city around them, and not cut off from the rest of London's population.

He might have felt that our Government "turned the screws on him" but the terms of a student visa are clearly defined, and tuition fees are made clear before one even applies to any of our universities: it's not like they're kept hidden until you've committed to come here.

You do seem to have a very negative view of London that does not match my experience of the place, or those of my friends.

Anyway. I'm derailing.

OP, have a wonderful time in London. Prepare to work very hard, and make the very most of your time. It's a fabulous, inspiring city full of opportunities and excitement.

^^^ Everything OH said, I have personally found to be true.

OP, congratulations, and I am so jealous!! I went to grad school in Oxford, and made trips to London as often as I could because, well, it's London! As a foreigner, especially a PoC, I found the people really welcoming in general. I didn't get a sense of "British people hate immigrants" there. A couple of times, when I started talking, people would snort and say, "Oh, an American." But it was always done in a good-natured way. I didn't feel snubbed most of the time.

Also did not witness, nor experience any moped attacks...? That's a really random thing to be concerned about. I think in general it's like many big cities -- be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. I felt safe roaming London all on my own, even at night. Much safer than I ever felt while living in LA and SF. :D

And yes, the terms of a student visa, and later on for me, a marriage visa, are VERY clear, and you know upfront what documents you need and so on. It's all very straightforward.

Have a great time in London, OP!!!

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm jealous too. Have a wonderful time. I'm sure there are crime and risks in London. It's hard to imagine any large city without any crime. But compared to most US cities? I don't think it's that bad. And even here, where visitors are often told they can expect to be gunned down on every street corner, most people get through their days without being robbed or injured. Be smart and aware of your surroundings, of course, and listen to what the locals tell you with regards to safe and unsafe places.

I've only visited London, never lived there, but I've found it to be an incredibly diverse and vibrant city, and the people were always very kind and welcoming. You'd have to live there for a while to enjoy everything it has to offer. Maybe it's different if you're an American living there, but the people I know who have done school or sabbaticals in the UK have had wonderful experiences.

Lise123

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. I lived in Paris for 10 years and recently moved back to the USA. I am American and my husband is French and we have a son that was born in Paris. My opinion about living in foreign country is mixed. First you will not need to learn a foreign language (that is a joke as the English say mind the baby instead of babysit and fancy instead of like). My experience with the British living in France is interesting. They do not like to hug generally. I think they try to look eccentric somehow. Sorry British. I never felt I had so little in common with people in my life as the English. I did date an English man. He was retired Royal Navy or something and an air traffic controller. Had huge issues puddy in a womans hand. London like all big cities are fun. Everyone should try one for a year. I guess I had this misconception that because English is spoken Americans had some sort of natural kinship with the country. My overall attitude is that it is an island. They have unique food. I guess my biggest advise is when you arrive look at everyones shoes and buy some local loafers or whatever is popular and buy a local book bag. Don't smile and be too nice ie over eager. But myself being American I guess we show up with our out stretched hands and big smiles and tennis shoes and fancy wilderness bags.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
London is fantastic. I went to UCL, lived in North London for a little while after I finished uni, and I still visit at least once a month.

Keep your mind open and you'll have a great time.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score

Hi! I'm a Londoner (a transplanted one). Exciting city. Can confirm that Londoners can't give two figs about where you're coming from, as a whole, which is rather refreshing. Do you already know where in London you'll be staying? I'd love to meet fellow London AWriters over a cup of coffee (not just online), actually.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Moped attacks are very rare. They make the news because they are so unusual.

We British do not hate immigrants. We love them, on the whole.

I quoted the parts I want to respond to....

1. My first post is meant not to deter the OP from going and having a good time. It was meant to serve as help, in the form of information he may never encountered. Maybe he never heard of these types of attacks. Maybe he will appreciate the info or no. I do not know if he ever been there or not.

2. The Why British Hate Immigrants video is misleading, granted. I think the author of the video implied the British government, not British people.

3. Michaelmas is the start of the first day of the academic year in some schools in the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland.

Examples....

First bullet, https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/term-dates-and-calendars
Trinity College Dublin: https://www.tcd.ie/calendar/

4. In America, Freshers might be a mix of rush week and student orientation. No argument, freshers is designed to orient new students to the campus community. There is an unofficial side to it though, and that's the element I attempted to focus on (if the OP did not know what it was).

5. Terms and conditions changed for him. Again, he later found a new visa type to allow him to remain in the country. Maybe I am wrong, but when Brexit occurred, wasn't the main drive to stop the influx of refugees into the UK (an obligation being a member of the EU)? I am sure sending resupplies of monies to financially-distressed countries (Greece maybe) is another reason. Maybe this was a main drive instead. Landwise, just England (of the U.K.), I believe, is the size of one-half of the U.S. state Colorado. Population density is very high. If the refugee element was part of it, I can understand the sentiment (too high a population density as it was, other reasons). Regardless, the information is useful in the video, because it is harder to remain in England than it was, for immigrants, than before legislation changed.

6. I do not have an opinion of London, England, or the U.K. I have to go there, personally, before I can form an informed opinion. My post is geared not to dissuade the OP. I met some nice British people, in my journeys, but I do not have experience of being in Britain. I think London, like many other big cities, has good and bad elements. I think it is valuable to know both.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
He said, "Now in America, I'm a first class citizen. I'm a white, straight male. How much more privileged can I get? However, interestingly enough, that's not enough in the UK. Because I'm American, I'm actually heavily discriminated against."

Definitely a pillock.

Evan Edinger is sarcastic and does a lot of jokes. He pokes fun at America and Americans as well. Taken verbatim, it sounds bad. Maybe first-class citizen refers to full citizen. He is an immigrant (his noting being American is just an example of an immigrant). This is true, because of the video title. You'd have to watch a considerable amount of Evan's content to see when he is joking and when he is serious. He was frustrated, maybe scared, and did not have the new visa type available when he recorded that video. Regardless, the video serves that things like this can and do happen. This is a good lesson for the OP if the OP may want to stay in the country after he graduates.

Last edited:

Lise123

Registered
Reaction score
Grad school in the US is usually a 22 plus age person up to early 30s.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
London is what you make of it. I was comfortable in London, felt accepted, more than anywhere else in the UK. Most of that acceptance was down to the normality of diversity.

Crime... if you go looking for it or stick yourself in such a situation on purpose.... anyway, yes, there is crime. It's a big city. Avoid Plumstead, Blackheath, and Woolwich (high crime areas).

General big city rules apply: be self aware, aware of your surroundings and the crowd, always know what's happening with your bag(s), don't flaunt money, and don't advertise "tourist". And as usual: beware of pickpockets.

PS., I grew up in, around, and near London.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Grad school in the US is usually a 22 plus age person up to early 30s.

I turned 35 the month I started earning my first degree (culinary). I earned my last degree at 40, a master's. People go back to school, or to school late in life, after years of working. There are people earning degrees in their 90s for not earning one earlier in life. People, in the US, earn graduate degrees at any age. This is true of other countries.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'd have to watch a considerable amount of Evan's content to see when he is joking and when he is serious..
A link to his video, sans explanation, might not be the best hook to hang your advice up on then...

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
A link to his video, sans explanation, might not be the best hook to hang your advice up on then...

The video author provided good information, in my humble opinion. Emotion is obvious in the video, and taking it with a grain of salt is good. I chose not to explain, because I did not want to appear biased and out to influence. If the OP watches it, allow the OP to formulate an opinion of the content.