• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

The reverse edit

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
The most influential (writing) professor I had was a psychotic bastard. He was a good teacher, but a bit unstable.

Anyway, one of the editing techniques he taught was the reverse edit. Which is to go back to front, looking at each sentence (I cheat and do it by the paragraph) for errors. He believed that doing this allowed us to take the text out of context, and see it differently. I think it works.. but man is it a pain in the @ss. I typically follow this technique in the 4th pass edit - 4th because of the superstition that goes with the number 4 (meaning death).

Am I only one that uses this technique?

I just finished my 3rd editing pass... so guess what's next.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with that is that you're only looking at individual sentences, not at the work as a whole. So you're not editing the book, you're only checking things like grammar, punctuation and the flow of each sentence.

For a proper structural edit you have to work forward through the text.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather put through software to read it back to me in computer voice and edit what does not sound right to me. I think I'd get more out of it than reading something backwards. I'm not saying it might not be useful, but I think cost (time) vs. benefit might not be worth the investment.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've done this chapter by chapter, but only late in the process. It has indeed helped me find continuity issues, and places where I thought I'd set up a plot point properly but had in fact entirely forgotten to do so.

Sentence-by-sentence - or even paragraph-by-paragraph - would reduce me to tears, I think, in about ten minutes.

tharris

Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather put through software to read it back to me in computer voice and edit what does not sound right to me. I think I'd get more out of it than reading something backwards. I'm not saying it might not be useful, but I think cost (time) vs. benefit might not be worth the investment.

Ohh. This is a good idea. I never thought of having the computer read it back.

And I agree with the others that this is only catching sentence level grammar errors. I have a grammarly account that I use for that sort of thing (its pretty accurate on a sentence level).

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I would dearly love to drop the backwards edit. With it I only really catch duplicate or stray words...

What software do you use for text to speech? I'm game and ready to try it.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Yay. Added "Speak" to my MS word toolbar. Will check it out tomorrow!!

And Prof. Stephenson.... KMA.

vhilal

Registered
Reaction score
I'm jumping on this thread and finding all this great advice about text-to-speech. I'm going to give this a try as my final round of editing before beta-readers/critique group.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never used a text to speech facility.

Just tried that link, Enlightened. Not sure how long I could listen at one go but I must confess I found the available male and female voices were both pleasant to listen to, and the inflections and clarity were much better than I was expecting. Obviously emotion and pauses may not be as intended, but it is interesting to be able to listen and concentrate upon word choice and flow.

Hmmmm. Thank you.

This site works well. Let it prepare the audio file. No need to download anything, you can listen to it via the website....

http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/

Last edited:

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do just that. Obviously for grammar/sentence structure/typos and not big picture stuff. Hopefully it'll help me not get "lost" in what my brain wants to see.

Ztwist

Registered
Reaction score
I have edited some long, detailed texts for publication and sometimes I have used this technique for checking footnotes and bibliographies because they are divided up into stand-alone items. Editing the text itself this way probably isn't as effective though because I need to understand if the text is making sense and one sentence depends on the sentence before it. If I try this, I would probably have to be working with a paper copy and use papers to cover the rest of the text, just revealing on sentence at a time. It might be worth trying but I never have that much time!

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net

heza

Registered
Reaction score
As someone who does multiple editing rounds to focus on different aspects (and would already have done a structural edit), I do like it for finding typos. I haven't done it with a novel-length work, so I don't know how tediously crazy that would make me, but in the day job, I've done it with shorter pieces (like investor emails or release announcements that absolutely couldn't have typos).

I also like the idea of changing the font style/color/size, reading from a printed copy, or taking it to an unusual location to read to help separate your editor self from your writer self.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
My word doesn't have a "speak" function, and Man i looked.

For anyone else with a mac, I just highlight the section I want to hear, copy it into "Text Edit" and use the speech command from there. (20 pages or so is the max for me)

Listening really does help for hearing word rep, mistakes, and sometimes inspiring a change or flourish, so I usually take notes while I edit.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I've never used a text to speech facility.

Just tried that link, Enlightened. Not sure how long I could listen at one go but I must confess I found the available male and female voices were both pleasant to listen to, and the inflections and clarity were much better than I was expecting. Obviously emotion and pauses may not be as intended, but it is interesting to be able to listen and concentrate upon word choice and flow.

Hmmmm. Thank you.

Small chunks. I first heard of this for PhD students that may do this with writing their dissertations (to help with low-level editing for grammar, spelling, flow, and so forth). This is good for people who want it read back to them so they can "hear" what sounds good and not.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net

For anyone else with a mac, I just highlight the section I want to hear, copy it into "Text Edit" and use the speech command from there. (20 pages or so is the max for me)

Listening really does help for hearing word rep, mistakes, and sometimes inspiring a change or flourish, so I usually take notes while I edit.

Bummer. Must be a Mac thing though.

Caffrey

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to edit in stages as I go through. The only exception is the first chapter, which I will write and edit several times. This is so I have it as a reference in terms of voice, pacing, structure, etc.. I won't move on until the first chapter is as right as it can be.

I will then right another four or five chapters and then during breaks from writing I will go back and edit the previous chapters.

The first edit is very much about picking out sentences or paragraphs that need rewriting, deleting or expansion and dealing with those. The second pass looks at plot, structure and character development. The third run eliminates unnecessary detail. The fourth edit deals with specifics: dialogue tags, filter words and passive voice. The fifth pass is a general read through looking at all aspects of the story. Once all of these are done I'll then have a text-to-speech run through and the final part is a reverse edit. The reverse edit rarely picks anything up but it is still worth doing.

Then it gets read by Beta Readers and I start the process again.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Darien - check this out: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25639?locale=en_GB

It is quite robotic sounding, but worth a go.

I wasn't expecting Morgan Freeman - and so Stephen Hawking works fine. Two chapters in so far and I've caught errant words (ghosts left over from revising sentences), and one wrong word that I'd not caught in my own proof reading (stores vs stories). So I like it! This sure beats the old reverse edit.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting Morgan Freeman - and so Stephen Hawking works fine. Two chapters in so far and I've caught errant words (ghosts left over from revising sentences), and one wrong word that I'd not caught in my own proof reading (stores vs stories). So I like it! This sure beats the old reverse edit.

I'm glad the text-to-speech is useful for you!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Did you check out the Quick Access Toolbar? Click - Customise quick access toolbar - More commands - and select the Speak button. (Looks like a square speech bubble.)

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score

So happy it's working out for you. Technically, you can edit while you listen, but I tend to jot a nearby word or phrase and scrawl any new thoughts.

:)