Close Call With A Bullet

Alsikepike

Registered
Reaction score
I’m writing a story about a group of people running from a drug cartel. At one point, my main characters get caught in a standoff with one being taken hostage and used as a human shield. Let’s call her, “R,” to save time. It ends with another character (let’s call him,”T”) making a judgement call and shooting the hostage-taker when they have the opportunity. Surprisingly, it works, and R gets to live another day. At first, things are as hunky-dory as they can be for R when you’re running from a cartel and almost filleted by a madman. But later on, R realizes how close she came to death when she finds that the bullet passed right through her hair, about an inch from the side of her head. (The MC has pretty long hair, so it isn’t immediately noticeable.) This creates a rift between T and R because she realizes the positioning of the shot means that T fired when the hostage-taker was effectively almost completely behind R. While she knows that T was trying to protect her, and she would definitely be dead if he hadn’t intervened, it doesn’t sit well with her that she was more saved by dumb luck than any skill on T’s part.

My problem came when I realized I wasn’t sure if you would feel a bullet whizzing by you in the heat of the moment, rather than figuring it out later. So, is it plausible for you to miss a bullet flying by you in an extremely stressful situation? Even if it goes through your hair?

Not to mention, I’m not really sure how long hair would react to a bullet. When writing the scene, I imagined that a bullet would be so fast it would cut right through the hair without otherwise disturbing it due to it’s speed and lack of resistance. But, then again, a bullet might do more ripping than cutting, as hair can be around as strong as copper wire of the same length. So the sheer force might snag the hair and rip through it more violently. And that would definitely be felt. I don’t expect I’ll be able to get a straight answer, as I seriously doubt anybody would have done a study of such a specific scenario, much less firsthand knowledge. But, truth can be stranger than fiction, so maybe there’s hope. Does anybody have any ideas?

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hair is not secured at one end, so I imagine it will be displaced rather than cut or ripped.

Your ability to make whatever you want believable is what is at stake. I think the bigger issue is making R's feelings not sound too irrational to readers. Friendly fire happens. Shot selection is the big issue, at least to me.

Yes, a person can not notice a bullet that almost hit them. This depends on environmental conditions. R might have been in a life or death struggle when it happened. There are a lot of plausible scenarios to explain not noticing at first.

kneedeepinthedoomed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
spawnhost.wordpress.com
Bullets make a pretty loud sound as they travel through the air. I witnessed this firsthand during my army time. However, it would depend on the size and speed of bullet as well as the surrounding noise level, and yeah, maybe stress as well.

I'm not sure anyone could tell the difference in sound between a bullet passing two feet from your head or an inch. Meaning, if she can hear it, it's gonna be hard to tell how close it is. Easiest to have a machine running nearby to drown out the bullet sound, perhaps.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't add anything re hearing or feeling the passing bullet, but if I was being held as a human shield I would have a pretty good idea where the guy holding me was, simply from how he's holding me, and presumably firing his own gun - no? And she knows he was shot by her colleague in front of her. I'm not sure the hair thing would add anything to what she would already logically know. Just mentioning.

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
Whether she would hear the bullet is probably a question of range--if the shooter is close, the muzzle blast would probably overwhelm the much softer sound of the rip of the bullet through the air (the two things happening in such close succession that they might as well be simultaneous).

Interesting question on the hair. I could, if you like, experiment on a wig and let you know what happens.

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am no expert on this.

But surely, the pressure waves generated in the air around a bullet would be felt. It would depend on muzzle velocity and velocity at the time it passed by. If suprasonic, I can’t imagine it not generating a palpable pressure wave.

Whether, the character would notice it, is entirely different :p

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I have thankfully never been this close, but the 'POP!' is enough to make you take notice. You'd probably be reacting to this before you notice the feel of it whizzing by.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't add anything re hearing or feeling the passing bullet, but if I was being held as a human shield I would have a pretty good idea where the guy holding me was, simply from how he's holding me, and presumably firing his own gun - no? And she knows he was shot by her colleague in front of her. I'm not sure the hair thing would add anything to what she would already logically know. Just mentioning.

This ^

How would she not know at the time of the shot?

Alsikepike

Registered
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? That’d be amazing! Don’t go to too much trouble, though. I’m just some random guy on the internet, after all.

Alsikepike

Registered
Reaction score
That’s part of what I’m trying to ask. The hair part was more about the fact she now has real, physical evidence of just how close the bullet came to hitting her.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect if R is held as a human shield in a crossfire, she would not notice the delegate hair flying as a bullet whizzes through. Chances are she wouldn't even know she's peed in her pants. Noise likely wouldn't make a difference. Unless T is firing a gun with very slow muzzle speed (eg Colt 45), the bullet arrives sooner or about the same time as the sound of the firing*. Now if R is a superhero with exceptional senses, that's another story.

How about the bullet grazes R's shoulder or side, preferably with R wearing a jacket so she doesn't notice the bleeding during the standoff?

* Speed of sound is ~343 m/s; muzzle velocity of Glock 17, a popular modern hand gun, is 375 m/s; muzzle velocity of an old Colt 45 (M1911) is 253 m/s.

Last edited:

Alsikepike

Registered
Reaction score
I considered doing that when I started writing the scene, but later I heard from a family friend that a graze wound feels like it’s on fire when it happens. I figured there’d be a bigger chance she’d notice immediately.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's she wearing? She could find a bullet tear in a collar or sleeve. Perhaps in the excitement/stress she didn't notice it until later.

Alsikepike

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately I already have a scene that specifically mentions that R’s stuck with only one change of clothes, with the shirts just being cheap t-shirts. No thick collars or long sleeves. Good idea, though. In retrospect that would’ve been WAY easier.

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
I'm securing a cheap wig and will make a point of shooting it this weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

Any preference about what I shoot it with? Rifle? Pistol? Shotgun?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, is it plausible for you to miss a bullet flying by you in an extremely stressful situation? Even if it goes through your hair?

Yes.

Not to mention, I’m not really sure how long hair would react to a bullet.

Hair moves. It's not firm enough to resist a bullet.

Jeff

DrDoc

Ex everything; trying something new
Registered
Reaction score
4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
During times of extreme stress things which may be sensed by the nerves may not be recognized by the brain. My guess is that she would, later, get the shakes realizing how close she came to death and would be emotionally fragile. This would be an adrenaline thing. After that wears off her emotions should turn to gratitude for the fact that she isn't dead. Being pissed for something that could have happened but didn't is in my book irrational.

fwiw
DrDoc

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
How long is her hair and at what height is the bullet? Passing by her ear, it could graze - which she'd feel. Really long hair, and a lucky shot, could mean it passes under her arm and through her clothes or something.

Anything near your skull is going to have a greater chance of being felt.

Alsikepike

Registered
Reaction score
The story calls for a pistol, but go nuts man. It’s awesome that somebody would be willing to do this in the first place!

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Wig and head-shaped wig-holder acquired. Results to follow.

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
The results of the experiment, with video links, are as follows:

9 mm firing Hornady FTX ammo:
Bullet parts hair with no significant cutting or pulling: https://vimeo.com/259481940

.45 ACP firing Federal Hydroshock ammo:
Bullet flips hair with minor cutting and minor pulling: https://vimeo.com/259482044

.38 Special firing Cor Bon +P ammo
Bullet flips hair with major pulling: https://vimeo.com/259482467

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score