I should have updated my Kindle version when they threatened to cut it off, huh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Good God, they haven't made it easy to install the update manually. Screw you, Bezos, I'm not shelling out for a new reader when my 2011 one is perfectly good, no matter how many hoops I have to jump through to make it work again. First to install update 3.3, then restart, install update 3.4, restart again, install update 3.1 ...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Got it working, finally. It seems to be connecting to 3G again. Did anyone else leave their Kindle in a box for a few years only to find it was BANNED FROM THE INTERNETS?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Got it working, finally. It seems to be connecting to 3G again. Did anyone else leave their Kindle in a box for a few years only to find it was BANNED FROM THE INTERNETS?

I had to buy a USB Kindle cable and update my mom's Fire tablet last year; also a PITA.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I had to buy a USB Kindle cable and update my mom's Fire tablet last year; also a PITA.
You're almost left with the feeling Amazon hates us all, but especially hates the idea of anyone using their products. I can't imagine e.g. my mum manually downloading and installing a chain of updates to get a non-working Kindle working again. It's lucky I'm an obstinate jackass.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still using my DX, because 10" e-ink screen... it stopped accepting updates over a year ago and the 3G no longer functions, but I'm perfectly fine using Calibre and a USB cable forever. (Also, the battery died a few months ago, and I was able to replace it myself for $30 US.)

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah. Mine died of not rechargeable disease and my son tried to give me his. He also had not updated by said deadline. We couldn't get it to work.

How did you get it to work?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My fourth generation Kindle is still working like a champ. If I want to post a Twitter review of a book I just finished, I'm limited to the old 140-word tweet limit, but I can't say that bothers me much.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Mine died of not rechargeable disease and my son tried to give me his. He also had not updated by said deadline. We couldn't get it to work.

How did you get it to work?
You have to download all the past updates in order, and copy them across to your Kindle manually with a USB cable, one by one, restarting each time. If you install them in the wrong order it won't work. The updates are here.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
My Kindle is getting pretty old (like me) and it is showing little glitches (like me). The last book I read took me to The End whenever it changed chapters and it was a bitch getting back to where I wanted to be. I also suspect I never got to read the last page, because I couldn't bring it up, and the conclusion of the story was odd. I am not interested in paying for the latest iteration. The only advantage I can see to using one is that I can read in the dark without keeping my husband awake. Once, the price of a kindle book was pretty sweet compared to the paper version. Now, Kindle book costs are climbing.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I have an old, old, Kindle, grayscale, doesn't swipe, the whole keyboard in little buttons on the front. It works perfectly, always has, no bells and whistles, no problems. I would never trade it in for a Fire. My daughter has a Fire and the thing is way too high maintenance/freezes up/battery life is far worse etc. For me, I'm perfectly happy with my Galaxy Tab for tablet stuff and my Kindle for reading only.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I've got the greyscale, keyboard e-ink one as well. It does the trick. It's an ebook reader, not a smartphone. The old ways are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.