Mental Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transformersfan123

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there are editors looking to work on realistic fiction books about mental illness. It's my current WIP and I haven't found very many indications that it's something that is thought of. I know that solid information about mental illness is needed, but I convey it in a fiction form, and nobody seems to be looking for it. Any thoughts?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there are editors looking to work on realistic fiction books about mental illness.

If you're hoping for a trade deal then you'll be better off finding an agent and letting him or her find the editors who want your sort of book.

It's my current WIP and I haven't found very many indications that it's something that is thought of. I know that solid information about mental illness is needed, but I convey it in a fiction form, and nobody seems to be looking for it. Any thoughts?

If it's your current WIP then I assume it isn't finished yet. You need to get it all finished, and then revise the socks off it before you submit it, so you have plenty of time to decide where to send it once it's done.

Don't worry too much right now about finding editors or agents who might like this sort of book. All you have to worry about for now is writing the best book you can. If it's good enough, agents will want it even if they haven't specifically said they are looking for your kind of fiction. Just write it. Make it good. That's all you have to do now.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Yeah, you want agents, not editors. I don't know how many agents specifically advertise themselves as repping novels about mental illness, but there are definitely plenty of books out there that deal with the subject. Just in the realm of YA novels, there's ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES or IT'S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY (I'm not a big fan of either, but they're quite popular) as well as a host of novels that deal with conditions like OCD or social anxiety. Google "novels about mental illness" and just start there. Once you've found some books that seem similar to what you're writing, find out who repped them.

Also, check out Agentquery.com and read various agents' profiles.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Locking this, as you have a near-identical thread in Ask the Agent. One thread per subject, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.