Jessica Jones

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
did a search, didn't find anything really...or at least giving this show it's OWN thread....

I've known about this show for a while. And like with EVERYTHING...I'm REALLY late to the party. I know. I guess it's my curse.. Even shows I WANT to watch...I usually don't until after 2 or 3 episodes...
example: Dark Angel, started a few episodes in.... Walking Dead, started between season 3 and 4.... and now this show!

Season 2 starts in 3 days. I started watching this show LAST NIGHT. I'm not done yet, had to go to bed.
I am hooked. She's...fragile...but then she can kick butt! I want the whole team behind this show to reboot Dark Angel....lol

not really much knowledgable about marvel characters past XMen/Fantastic Four/Avengers/Spiderman.... so i had no clue that the guy she hooked up with was Luke Cage. LOL
it looks like I've just added MORE shows to my WATCH list....

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
For anyone who doesn't know: JJ is on Netflix starting this Thursday the 8th.

I'm waiting for a spoiler that tells me if Kilgrave actually comes back. I absolutely hate the idea, so much that I actually want to vomit at the idea. If he does in other than flashback I'll not waste my money buying a month of Netflix.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Mar 29 (Freeform network) new drama about a mermaid looks good (Siren). Too many superhero TV series on CW, NetFlix, and so forth. There's a new prequel Superman series on SyFy coming as well (Krypton, Mar 21 debut). I think I am burned out on Marvel and DC for now. I have yet to watch Cage, Punish, and so forth.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Mar 29 (Freeform network) new drama about a mermaid looks good (Siren). Too many superhero TV series on CW, NetFlix, and so forth. There's a new prequel Superman series on SyFy coming as well (Krypton, Mar 21 debut). I think I am burned out on Marvel and DC for now. I have yet to watch Cage, Punish, and so forth.

I try to follow the ones that are in canon with the MCU, but it's getting a bit much, that's true. I've skipped out on some of the Netflix shows myself, because if even Daredevil couldn't hold my attention longer than five or so episodes into the second season, I'm pretty sure the Punisher won't either. Never liked that character to begin with. Jessica Jones, on the other hand... that show had its flaws but it worked for me. A lot of that is due to Krysten Ritter's performance. But also that the show actually got better after a slowish start. (Daredevil didn't. It had its most outstanding episodes right at the beginning.)

I'm waiting for a spoiler that tells me if Kilgrave actually comes back. I absolutely hate the idea, so much that I actually want to vomit at the idea. If he does in other than flashback I'll not waste my money buying a month of Netflix.

According to Tennant's IMDB page, he's not coming back, at least this time. I hope that's true. The one thing that would redeem it for me is that it's David Tennant and the two had great chemistry. (Uh, actually, that's two things.) But it would invalidate all of season 1 and that's too high a price to pay.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I try to follow the ones that are in canon with the MCU, but it's getting a bit much, that's true. I've skipped out on some of the Netflix shows myself, because if even Daredevil couldn't hold my attention longer than five or so episodes into the second season, I'm pretty sure the Punisher won't either. Never liked that character to begin with. Jessica Jones, on the other hand... that show had its flaws but it worked for me. A lot of that is due to Krysten Ritter's performance. But also that the show actually got better after a slowish start. (Daredevil didn't. It had its most outstanding episodes right at the beginning.)

I thought the 2004 movie, The Punisher, with Rebecca Romijn and John Travolta, was done very well. I will give this series a try, eventually. They had a popular wrestler (Kevin Nash, i.e. "Big Daddy Cool") play "The Russian" in the movie (a powerhouse).

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I still need to finish season 1. Like ... the episodes I watched were really, really good. But real life is depressing enough that every time I think about popping in the next episode, just the prospect makes me feel lousy :(

But I gotta do it eventually. The first four episodes were REALLY good.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I still need to finish season 1. Like ... the episodes I watched were really, really good. But real life is depressing enough that every time I think about popping in the next episode, just the prospect makes me feel lousy :(

But I gotta do it eventually. The first four episodes were REALLY good.

I totally get your point. there are a lot of well-regarded shows that I stopped watching because of that or sometimes didn't even start because all the things my friends glowingly told me about them sounded like something I wouldn't enjoy. Seriously, if I want to see something on my screen that makes me feel bad I just log in to my bank account.

JJ gets better in that regard as Jessica develops more agency over the series. In a way, I found the show to be the direct oppostite of Daredevil at the time: It starts slow but picks up pace over the series, the lead is more interesting than the supporting cast, and where DD just kept throwing more depressing stuff at the characters as the show progressed, this actually felt like a recovery from depression, now that I think about it.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the first episode last night. It's looking good.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three episodes down and ten to go. It's kind of a slog so far. :Shrug:

I'd already arrived at the point of concluding without commercials to cut into the running time, the Marvel Netflix shows tend to have a lot of dead air and talking heads and exposition and not a lot of action at times. That's why Luke Cage and the second season of Daredevil had their lulls and even as good as The Punisher was, there was a little too much domestic drama with Micro's family.

My restless daughter yawned and scratched like a cat bored with a ball of yarn as the third episode ended with a bit of action and I can't say I was exactly riveted to my seat either. I'm not going to bail on season 2, but because Jessica is such a hot-ass mess and a pretty unpleasant person to be around, I won't lie and say I'm really enjoying the trip so far.

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
No matter what season 2 ended up being, there was almost no way it could've topped season 1. That said, I still enjoyed it and give it a solid 8.5 to 9 out of 10. Even season 1 had moments of 'lull' but then took off. The overall writing and characters are still solid in season 2 IMO.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Jessica Jones, Season Two last night. I didn't hate it, but at no point was I surprised, shocked or even entertained. I did not enjoy Jessica Jones. I endured Jessica Jones.

This season was the flipside of Daredevil's second season which started fast and ended up a slog. Jessica Jones was a hellacious slog at first, picked up in the middle and ended up in a predictable finish where I saw EVERYTHING coming a thousand miles before it got there.

No spoilers. A C+ with maybe one or two episodes, I'd ever want to watch again. Krysten Ritter did some serious acting and if I ever saw Janet McTeer on the street, I'd run like hell in the other direction, but DAMN, can't we get her some better scripts too? I'm looking at you, Rachael "Patsy Walker" Taylor (SPOILERS!)because your character pulled the biggest 180 degree turn I've seen in a many an age.

Majorly disappointed in this season and it does not make me optimistic for Luke Cage in June. That's not a good thing, Marvel. :e2shrug:

Don't get me wrong. The season wasn't terrible, but damn, it was SLOW and OBVIOUS where it was going long before it got ther. :rolleyes The only things I did not expect was where Malcolm (Eka Darville) would end up, but otherwise, yeah, big whoop.

Final critique: Jessica Jones did not leave me excited for Season Three and does not make me hyped for Luke Cage: Season Two in June.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Janet McTeer was fabulous.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
It's been kind of a step down after the first season. One problem with about all Marvel/Netflix shows, apart from being very slow and quiet in a sluggish way (not really a Netflix problem, I see that a lot with curent shows), is that they run too long to focus on one tight plot, so they introduce side plots that don't always spark the same interest (in me, anyway). Here, I could have done without either Trish's or Jeri's arc. Jessica's arc was split in two, the first part was more of the conflict we'd expect from a Marvel show while the second half was something very different. (That's something that TV is particlarly well-equipped to do but it took some time to work.) Season 1 felt much more focussed, as memory serves, but so far I haven't seen any Netflix show that couldn't have done with about 2-4 hours less.

After Luke Cage, my reaction was that what Marvel should really be doing with these street-level characters isn't Netflix shows but 'B' movies. Tight, gritty two-hour blasts with sharp focus, obviously much faster pacing, and altogether a smaller budget than the tentpole movies that makes for less CGI and more location shoots. They could still release them on Netflix if they need to but I'd love to watch them in theaters if they'd go that route.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I feel somewhat as you do, Max. I love the Jessica Jones character and how well Kisten Ritter is portraying her, but halfway through season 2 now it's slow going. I really don't feel much excitement about the two subplots/arcs, especially. So I'll watch an episode every night or so, and if my month of Netflix runs out before the end I'll not bother to renew.

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I just finished. I got impatient with the slow going and began fast-forwarding through the last half of the season, just spending five or ten minutes per episode. Then I slowed down to watch the last twenty minutes in real time.

The ending satisfied me, and left open two or three interesting possibilities for the next season. I'll watch it, presuming there IS a third season. But this time I'll give it three episodes to satisfy me. If it doesn't - fast forward again.

My own personal likes would be no more season-long story arcs. Not necessarily one arc per episode, but no more than one for each two or three episodes. Also more scenes of Jessica kicking butt or otherwise using her powers. And God I'm am so sick of the total noir visuals. I'd like SOME visual variety every once in a while, a daytime scene, a blue sky, a sunrise or sunset.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
My own personal likes would be no more season-long story arcs. Not necessarily one arc per episode, but no more than one for each two or three episodes. Also more scenes of Jessica kicking butt or otherwise using her powers. And God I'm am so sick of the total noir visuals. I'd like SOME visual variety every once in a while, a daytime scene, a blue sky, a sunrise or sunset.

At least on JJ, you can see everything. I remember setting my player brightness to Extreme Highlighting during Daredevil because the Dark Greys Over Dark Browns aesthetic lowered my attention. Interesting sidenote - they must have lighted the set to specifically work with the dark colors because after highlighting, the sets had a bit of a Nineties' feel to them.