Ways to Destroy "Ghosts"

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I don't know where to put this, as it's not horror, but similar to like... urban fantasy.

Anyway.

I have this idea about a girl who can hunt a vicious version of a "ghost" - a wraith. But seeing as they're not completely corporeal she can't just punch them in the face or anything.

My only ideas are: powers that can hurt ONLY wraiths/ghosts (spirit powers) or destroying an item linked to the wraith.

They seemed kind of dumb though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think either of those ideas are dumb. Either of them (or both in the same setting) can certainly work, provided it makes sense in the context of your story.

A lot of fantasy ideas seem dumb when you describe them bluntly, but in a well-told story become fascinating and intriguing.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
How do they interact with the material world? That's where I'd start.
They influence the surrounding area - depending on how they died. For example, wraith full of rage might cause people/animals to be overly aggressive; such as lashing out violently.

Depending on their power, they can act like poltergeists as well. Shaking a building (or two).

@lilyWhite - This is super true. We are our own worst critics, after all.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time tinkering with different "systems" for spirit creatures, so I'd have to say that this is almost entirely dependent on what your rationale/mechanism is for what ghosts are in your world, and the ways of dealing with them will logically flow from there.

So, for example, if your ghosts really are just "echoes" or spirit versions of human beings, with no extraordinary powers beyond being immaterial, and occasionally interacting with the real world, then resolving their central issue with their death--whether peacefully, or through some ceremony relevant to a particular faith or culture--may be all you need. If you go slightly more scientific, a la Ghostbusters, and assume that spirits are composed of some kind of substance like ectoplasm that merely operates on a different wavelength or frequency, and you have tools that operate on a similar wavelength, that's how you justify your ghost weapons/tools. If you say ghosts are really just beings from some other plane of existence that have taken form in our own, like demons, or vengeful spirits, or even the appropriated psychic wavelength of deceased people, then artifacts/components from their world/plane will affect them if you have access to them. And if you prefer something more mysterious, like ghosts are just "ghosts," then you can fall back on "magic tools and weapons work just fine against magical creatures."

Once you've established the rules for your world, the checks, balances and loopholes can build from the foundation you've built.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Salt is one thing that comes up a lot in mythology as something that can destroy, repel, or banish, spirits. If salt seems too easy by itself, I suppose it could be salt that has been blessed, or some other special kind of salt that might be harder to come by.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
There's also the idea of luring a spirit into an object or an animal and then destroying that object or animal. In the real world this is just a symbolic act, but maybe in your world it actually works.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Salt is one thing that comes up a lot in mythology as something that can destroy, repel, or banish, spirits. If salt seems too easy by itself, I suppose it could be salt that has been blessed, or some other special kind of salt that might be harder to come by.

+1

Salt seems to be a traditional spirit fighter. You might research real-world spirit traditions (particularly how to deal with unwanted, evil entities) and adapt.

Though inventing your own method is perfectly valid, of course. Your suggestion certainly could make for a decent story. Even so, a passing familiarity with traditional methods might make for interesting worldbuilding, the folk-tale stuff lay people try, ineffectively, if they lack access to real ghostfighting skills or powers.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score

How about pink Himalayan salt? Sure, they SAY it's become more available lately because it's trendy, but your character knows the truth, that wraiths are on the rise in *City* and the salt company has a secret second function as a supernatural arms supplier, discreetly providing special salt wherever it's needed.

*Character goes to buy salt, sees two tiny bottles on the shelf.* "Excuse me, do you have any more of this in the back?"

"No. And it's on backorder. They're saying it should be available again sometime next month."

Crap. How will I make two little bottles last that long?"

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Salt gun? Ooh-ooh, a water pistol full of salt water--or salt dissolved in holy water (double-whammy?) . . .

Oh man, this brings to mind John Wyndham's Day of the Triffids--more specifically the 1963 film adaptation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids_(film)

Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it--and write the hell outta it!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
The Holy Salt Super-Soaker (TM/pat pend.) now from Popiel.

Folks, don't take on ghosts alone when we have this special little friend just for you. Engage those ghosts as distances of up to 50'. Plenty of time to get them good and wet before they can reach you and then watch the fun begin. Don't be the last on your block to get one. And if you call right now, why we'll double your order and throw in a copy of our latest CD, "Death Metal to fight Death by". Operators are standing by!

Separate shipping and fees may be incurred, not valid in all states, check with your doctor if unusual sleep patterns develop after use.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, define in your world what a ghost/wraith is. What are its properties, its abilities, its limitations? How is one created or are they naturally spawned?

Once you have those basic worldbuilding questions answers, how to deal with them should be easier to figure out.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
How about pink Himalayan salt? Sure, they SAY it's become more available lately because it's trendy, but your character knows the truth, that wraiths are on the rise in *City* and the salt company has a secret second function as a supernatural arms supplier, discreetly providing special salt wherever it's needed.

[/I]

I was just thinking of this. Would the pink Himalayan salt lamps I got for a gift from a relative (who always gives me things to purify the air in my home for some reason) repel ghosts, or would I have to chuck it at them?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Do you want to imprison them (Ghostbusters), exorcise them (The Exorcist and Beetlejuice/bioexorcism), or eradicate them (find a way to end their existences through harm)?

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, you could combine. Maybe your pink salt gun and white sage smoke bombs weaken it enough to drive it into the object it's tied to, and only finding and destroying that will prevent its return a la a lich's phylactery. :D

CJMatthewson

Registered
Reaction score
I personally like the idea of elements (salt, or ash, chalk, holy water) as ghost repellents rather than destroyers. They're particularly easy to come by, whereas requiring more of a quest like destroying an item the ghost is inhabiting or helping a ghost resolve its past misdeeds helps to push a narrative along more.

thearchduke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
againststupiditycomic.wordpress.com
Regarding salt...

Salt, as has been mentioned, has a long history in spiritualism/occultism for repelling and containing spirits. However, it's usually just for repelling and containing them, for example surrounding yourself with salt for temporary protection, or surrounding a cursed object/summoning area with salt for temporary containment. Throwing salt at a ghost isn't really said to do much. (In Supernatural I seem to remember they use shotguns loaded with salt to cause ghosts to temporarily vanish or get out of the way.)

As a narrative mechanism, a barrier of salt gives you the drama of something that you know is temporary to work with. Ghosts, spirits, etc. can also use physical powers or psychological trickery to break the barrier or get you to destroy it or step outside of it.

Crowned in Fireflies

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what ghosts are made of or why they exist in your world, but I'm going to assume they're souls of the dead. You could have your character weaponize her own soul (like part of her soul leaves her body and stabs through the wraith). Just like physical objects can destroy other physical objects, perhaps spiritual entities can destroy other spiritual entities.

CAQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know where to put this, as it's not horror, but similar to like... urban fantasy.

Anyway.

I have this idea about a girl who can hunt a vicious version of a "ghost" - a wraith. But seeing as they're not completely corporeal she can't just punch them in the face or anything.

My only ideas are: powers that can hurt ONLY wraiths/ghosts (spirit powers) or destroying an item linked to the wraith.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

the only dumb writing idea is the one unexplored!

ive spent years in mysteries and African traditional religion. some traditions like ayitian vodou /voodoo say we have two souls the big good angel and the little good angel. the little good angel comes from inside the earth and when we die it returns their, the big good angel comes from god from outerspace and it is supposed to return their when we die, but if the person is murdered or for other reasons the part of the soul that is supposed to return to outer-space, to god, gets trapped here, earthbound... and that is a ghost, a haitian exorcism is not about freeing a demon from a living human. its a ceremony setting the earthbound soul free and letting it return to god.

theres some modern science about ghost hunting, using infra red and ultra violet lights and cameras, and theirs stuff like the Faraday cage which can supposedly capture a ghost or an astral body, and this is where i would start researching the new science stuff about it. also read esp and you by hanz holtzer. but even if her physical body cant punch a ghost in the face, HER ASTRAL ONE CAN!

good luck hit me up if you want to chat
Christoph

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Acknowledgement of a ghost usually takes away their power. They're trying to get attention, to tell their story and work through whatever is bothering them (often related to their deaths, but not always).

BabySealWriter

Often misses his target
Registered
Reaction score
If I were creating a system I would use how the wraith interacts with the physical world against it. If it possesses living beings or objects, they must be destroyed. If it crosses over to the corporeal, trap it while it crosses. If it is magical in nature, fight it with something magical in nature, etc. I would note that destroying things it possesses could make for some interesting plot points. What happens if it possesses someone or something the MC loves? What happens if it enters something that cannot be destroyed? Lots of goodies can be had with that idea.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
First, you gotta find the seedling of the rare pseudoferniviscious plant found only at altitudes of more than 20K feet.

Once you obtain at least 4oz of this seed, combine with the left eyeball of a male goat (removed only when the goat is older than 17 years, otherwise, they won't combine)

As you're mixing the two together, ensure the temperature stays at a constant of 49.7 degrees Fahrenheit, and sing the following chant:

"Ubi caritas et amor, deus ibi est, tse ibi sued roma te satirac ibu
Ubi caritas et amor, deus ibi est, tse ibi sued roma te satirac ibu
Carpe Diem!"

Repeat the chant three times every five minutes until the mixture dries...
Mash into a powder...

The resulting powder will be an effective ghost deterrent/removal:

Sprinkle around the perimeter of any area you want ghosts to avoid, or
Atomize through a mister at any ghost, and the ghost will disintegrate

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score

Anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

What is the time frame of the story? Would it make sense to use technology similar to what is used for modern day ghost hunting? You could consider minerals (limestone attracts, supposedly), or electromagnetic disruptions (why not?), figuring out which religion each wraith fears the most (assuming they act on individual conscience and don't report to a singular higher authority). Honestly, I think you could go any direction with this! This could be a lot of fun!
What makes a wraith become a wraith? Could you use that process against them?

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Salt gun? Ooh-ooh, a water pistol full of salt water--or salt dissolved in holy water (double-whammy?) . . .

Oh man, this brings to mind John Wyndham's Day of the Triffids--more specifically the 1963 film adaptation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids_(film)

Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it--and write the hell outta it!

This reminds me of the first weapon you get in a game called Zombies Ate My Neighbor: Squirt guns filled with holy water!

The Holy Salt Super-Soaker (TM/pat pend.) now from Popiel.

Folks, don't take on ghosts alone when we have this special little friend just for you. Engage those ghosts as distances of up to 50'. Plenty of time to get them good and wet before they can reach you and then watch the fun begin. Don't be the last on your block to get one. And if you call right now, why we'll double your order and throw in a copy of our latest CD, "Death Metal to fight Death by". Operators are standing by!

Separate shipping and fees may be incurred, not valid in all states, check with your doctor if unusual sleep patterns develop after use.

You guys are totally giving me an idea to use a weapon like that - at least for the weak ones. :p

First, define in your world what a ghost/wraith is. What are its properties, its abilities, its limitations? How is one created or are they naturally spawned?

Once you have those basic worldbuilding questions answers, how to deal with them should be easier to figure out.

This very true. They are dead people who have strong negative emotions still tied to the world. They're invisible and their strength determines how much they can interact with the world.

Do you want to imprison them (Ghostbusters), exorcise them (The Exorcist and Beetlejuice/bioexorcism), or eradicate them (find a way to end their existences through harm)?

The latter - unless the character pities the wraith. XD

Heck, you could combine. Maybe your pink salt gun and white sage smoke bombs weaken it enough to drive it into the object it's tied to, and only finding and destroying that will prevent its return a la a lich's phylactery. :D

I started to think this, actually. Muhahaha.

I personally like the idea of elements (salt, or ash, chalk, holy water) as ghost repellents rather than destroyers. They're particularly easy to come by, whereas requiring more of a quest like destroying an item the ghost is inhabiting or helping a ghost resolve its past misdeeds helps to push a narrative along more.

Yeah, it could all depend on the situation!

I don't know what ghosts are made of or why they exist in your world, but I'm going to assume they're souls of the dead. You could have your character weaponize her own soul (like part of her soul leaves her body and stabs through the wraith). Just like physical objects can destroy other physical objects, perhaps spiritual entities can destroy other spiritual entities.

This sounds super epic. XD

the only dumb writing idea is the one unexplored!

ive spent years in mysteries and African traditional religion. some traditions like ayitian vodou /voodoo say we have two souls the big good angel and the little good angel. the little good angel comes from inside the earth and when we die it returns their, the big good angel comes from god from outerspace and it is supposed to return their when we die, but if the person is murdered or for other reasons the part of the soul that is supposed to return to outer-space, to god, gets trapped here, earthbound... and that is a ghost, a haitian exorcism is not about freeing a demon from a living human. its a ceremony setting the earthbound soul free and letting it return to god.

theres some modern science about ghost hunting, using infra red and ultra violet lights and cameras, and theirs stuff like the Faraday cage which can supposedly capture a ghost or an astral body, and this is where i would start researching the new science stuff about it. also read esp and you by hanz holtzer. but even if her physical body cant punch a ghost in the face, HER ASTRAL ONE CAN!

good luck hit me up if you want to chat
Christoph

I should read up on Religious stuff related to spirits. I forgot.

If I were creating a system I would use how the wraith interacts with the physical world against it. If it possesses living beings or objects, they must be destroyed. If it crosses over to the corporeal, trap it while it crosses. If it is magical in nature, fight it with something magical in nature, etc. I would note that destroying things it possesses could make for some interesting plot points. What happens if it possesses someone or something the MC loves? What happens if it enters something that cannot be destroyed? Lots of goodies can be had with that idea.

I actually gained an idea related to the MC destroying something she cares about. Muhahahahaha.

First, you gotta find the seedling of the rare pseudoferniviscious plant found only at altitudes of more than 20K feet.

Once you obtain at least 4oz of this seed, combine with the left eyeball of a male goat (removed only when the goat is older than 17 years, otherwise, they won't combine)

As you're mixing the two together, ensure the temperature stays at a constant of 49.7 degrees Fahrenheit, and sing the following chant:

"Ubi caritas et amor, deus ibi est, tse ibi sued roma te satirac ibu
Carpe Diem!"

Repeat the chant three times every five minutes until the mixture dries...
Mash into a powder...

The resulting powder will be an effective ghost deterrent/removal:

Sprinkle around the perimeter of any area you want ghosts to avoid, or
Atomize through a mister at any ghost, and the ghost will disintegrate

Science?

What is the time frame of the story? Would it make sense to use technology similar to what is used for modern day ghost hunting? You could consider minerals (limestone attracts, supposedly), or electromagnetic disruptions (why not?), figuring out which religion each wraith fears the most (assuming they act on individual conscience and don't report to a singular higher authority). Honestly, I think you could go any direction with this! This could be a lot of fun!
What makes a wraith become a wraith? Could you use that process against them?

So like use minerals to draw out the wraith? And maybe hunt using their technology too, like the readings and maybe even EMTs.

In this version of Earth, anyone can become a spirit, but only the truly negative become wraiths. D: