Promises and Payoffs

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
This weekend I'm rereading a book by one of my favorite authors. She's very good at getting and keeping our attention. Usually I'm so immersed in her stories that I can't stand back and observe her writing techniques. But this time I WAS able to for some reason.

One technique I noticed was one she mentioned in an interview a few years back - of interleaving promises and payoffs on those promises. Some of the promises are small, some are big, as are the matching payoffs.

The first promises are from the publisher, not her. These are the cover and the blurbs on the back and inside front covers. Often by the first line of the book I'm already pretty much sold on the book. Only if the beginning turns me off will I pass on the book. For my favorite authors I don't even need to read anything. Past experience has shown me there will be plenty of payoffs in the book.

Some books begin with a payoff. Often a quiet one - an interesting character or setting, small but interesting events.

Some books begin with a promise. For me the shorter the better, a single sentence maybe. Such as that old cliché: "A shot rang out." Or maybe: "The third time the hyperdrive delivered Jane into the wrong star system she was really pissed off."

Bethany Rossiter had been a fairly ordinary girl before she died and came back to life. A loving mid-scale family, only moderately broken (no tug-of-kids drama, mostly friendly parents). Pretty, but not super-pretty. Good student, she was a better cheerleader. Until she died, that is.

What kind of promises do you make? What kind of matching payoffs?

Last edited:

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
This is always my main mission - to inspire a pleasurable anticipation in the reader so they're thinking: oh I can see where this is going...this is gonna be good.

The trick though is not only to fulfil on your promise but to give the reader far more than they thought they were going to get as the scope of the story builds.

Of course, it's not for me to say how successful I am at this.

tharris

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking a lot about promises lately, and one theory I have is that good stories have a variety of promises: novel level, act level, chapter level, scene level—maybe even paragraph level. Not that every scene needs to have a promise and payoff, but sprinkle them around. This makes the reader feel like promises are being fulfilled, even if the big ones don’t get payed off until the end.

I just recently read The Woman in the Window by A J Finn. He does a great job with this. I always felt like questions were getting answered almost every scene, yet the big ones waited until the end. For every promise he fulfills, he would promise two more things (that’s what it felt like at least).

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Brandon Sanderson has been preaching this in his online videos. Make promises and make good on them, or you will disappoint readers. I think there are some readers who can imagine things that were never intended by the author, and if this is the case, the reader may feel jilted if the author never addresses it.

I watched a book review of Goblet of Fire on YouTube last night. In it, the reviewer noted that a spell used in earlier books was finally shown what it can do for evil purposes. The reviewer thought strange things (e.g. a man getting pregnant if transformed into a woman's body) if the spell was used in such a way. Moral of the dilemma, one needs to be careful with things like magic systems.

I believe in symmetry for series. If something major happens in book 1, it should conclude (or have a mirror effect) in the end book.

Promises (cause) and resolution (effect). These are important for character arcs, building tension/conflict, good vs. evil, and so forth. I believe in Plutchik's Wheel of Emotions (Google search) as it pertains to the 8 basic emotions and the various stages of each (more extreme moving toward the center of the wheel). I built an elaborate system of 28 sliders to develop traits of good and bad characters. I use these tools to evolve the character arcs, and conflict with others, in my story. I note this, because major promises must have some kind of structure/evolution before reaching resolution. Without such structure, a reader can become irritated.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Read good mystery writers. No other genre has so much invested in the promise-payoff thing. And the best writers know this in their bone marrow, and do it very very well.

caw

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think of it as "promises and payoffs". I think of it as story questions and story answers.

I try to start with the story questions in the first sentence, if possible, definitely in the first paragraph. It might not be big, but if the reader isn't curious about something, they get bored and stop reading. Which is why I think of it as story questions. Some story questions will lead to expectations/hopes for the answer, and I endeavor to give them the answer they want in a way they weren't expecting. But it's not really the same thing as a promise in my mind.

Whatever terms you think of it as doesn't really matter. What matters is keeping the reader's interest and giving them a satisfactory, pleasing ending, IMO.

vhilal

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still perfecting this technique, but I absolutely believe in it. As a reader, I love to be teased until I start to develop my own theories and then have the rug pulled out from under me at the end by a slight of hand that I missed. I laced several mysterious elements into my manuscript, strewn throughout the book. My first edit caught several promises that I didn't payoff, so I've addressed those. Slowly but surely...

tharris

Registered
Reaction score
Also, don't forget about implied promises that come from the genre. If your book is classified as mystery, there had better be a mystery. Also, a reader of mystery will expect for the mystery to get solved at the end. But also, you can take those implied promises and learn how to subvert them in cool ways.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro is always found in the general fiction section and his fans probably expect a literary English novel. I won't spoil it, but it turns out to not be those things. The book never makes promises about what it is, but those promises are implied by which shelf it sits on in the book store and his own earlier work. That's probably risky/undoable for new writers, but I think smaller subversions of genre could be used to great effect.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro is a literary English novel, having elements from another genre doesn't stop it from being literary fiction.

About promise and pay-off, I just use the terms questions and answers but pretty much same difference. One thing that doesn't annoy me as a reader is when there is a "promise" or quote on a book jacket saying, "this is the next X" then you read the book and it's obviously not.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
"This is the book that makes fantasy sexy/cool" is another blurb that promises only disappointment.

tharris

Registered
Reaction score
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro is a literary English novel, having elements from another genre doesn't stop it from being literary fiction.

I agree, (I was wrong for implying it wasn't) but if you were a fan of The Remains of the Day and you picked up Never Let Me Go thinking it would be similar, you would be floored by the twist that is gradually revealed (the book was ruined for me before I read it, so I can't judge my own reaction). Take that book and put it on a genre shelf (which would be totally defensible considering the story) and I think you have a negative reaction initially because that shelf promises a different type of story. Also, you would be expecting a plot twist at some point that turned it towards that genre.

I guess my major point is that a writer should understand the inherent promises of the aisle the novel will be shelved on and make sure they either fulfill them or subvert them in a deliberate way.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, (I was wrong for implying it wasn't) but if you were a fan of The Remains of the Day and you picked up Never Let Me Go thinking it would be similar, you would be floored by the twist that is gradually revealed (the book was ruined for me before I read it, so I can't judge my own reaction). Take that book and put it on a genre shelf (which would be totally defensible considering the story) and I think you have a negative reaction initially because that shelf promises a different type of story. Also, you would be expecting a plot twist at some point that turned it towards that genre.

I guess my major point is that a writer should understand the inherent promises of the aisle the novel will be shelved on and make sure they either fulfill them or subvert them in a deliberate way.

I understand what you mean but for me that's not a promise that's just an assumption made by the reader because it's the same author it will be a similar book. Again the only promise I see is another book written with the same evocative prose but not automatically the same type of story.

I guess we just have different expectations when it comes to author and their body of work.

Toothpick

Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting post and it made me notice only just now that I've been writing by that code. The code of promises and deliveries. In fact my novel begins with a character promising to my mc that one day the world will wake up in the shadow and flame. ^^

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
When I'm writing I'm working in mostly intuitive mode, not critical mode. So I don't think about promises and their payoffs. I simply make and satisfy them, automatically.

But when I take breaks after a scene or three, that is one concern that comes to mind. THEN I go through the scene(s) and deal with that and many other concerns. I do the same after I've finished the entire book, taken a break from it, then come back to it. I ask myself many questions, among them Did I satisfy all the promises?

I look at three levels of promises. The smallest are at the sentence/paragraph level. Then the scenic level. Then the largest level: the entire book.

I look also at the kinds of promises. I divide them into character, setting, plot/action.

Are the characters interesting? Sympathetic or not? The main characters complex rather than cardboard?

Are the settings suitably detailed, with not too much nor too little detail? Do they match the part of the story where they occur, deserts superficially plain and very hot or very cold? Are the descriptions evocative?

Is the action believable? Are the outcomes of plot threads suitably complex? Does the overall story line end on a satisfying note, not too neat and complete, but not on a cliffhanger?

All these questions have been asked and answered so many times that I don't have to check a list of them. Again my subconscious helps, making my editing passes intuitive rather than conscious.