When I'm writing I'm working in mostly intuitive mode, not critical mode. So I don't think about promises and their payoffs. I simply make and satisfy them, automatically.

But when I take breaks after a scene or three, that is one concern that comes to mind. THEN I go through the scene(s) and deal with that and many other concerns. I do the same after I've finished the entire book, taken a break from it, then come back to it. I ask myself many questions, among them Did I satisfy all the promises?

I look at three levels of promises. The smallest are at the sentence/paragraph level. Then the scenic level. Then the largest level: the entire book.

I look also at the kinds of promises. I divide them into character, setting, plot/action.

Are the characters interesting? Sympathetic or not? The main characters complex rather than cardboard?

Are the settings suitably detailed, with not too much nor too little detail? Do they match the part of the story where they occur, deserts superficially plain and very hot or very cold? Are the descriptions evocative?

Is the action believable? Are the outcomes of plot threads suitably complex? Does the overall story line end on a satisfying note, not too neat and complete, but not on a cliffhanger?

All these questions have been asked and answered so many times that I don't have to check a list of them. Again my subconscious helps, making my editing passes intuitive rather than conscious.