The eternal question...how do I get people to read my book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Great advice RaggyCat, and I would take it if I had the time. Still working full time to pay the rent and support my writing habit.

Tell me about it - making social media and events successful is so time consuming! Very few people can afford to leave work for writing sadly.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Bloggers can be great! I didn't have much luck contacting them on my own, but a few got ARCs from the publisher and posted lovely reviews and tagged me. Most of the contacts/connections I made were through the Sweet Sixteens, a YA debut author group; we still pass around ARCs and review one another's books. Their support has been hugely valuable.

I also did a free blog tour and some guest posts, and I don't know how much impact that had, but it was fun. It did all tire me out, though, since I also write in my day job. And, related to this: I've heard of many writers experiencing depression or anxiety after the launch of their first (or "big") book. There's so much build-up and then ... are people even reading it? Unless you're a really big success, you don't know. And even if you are a really big success, you're still just a person living your ordinary life. After all that lead-up, the letdown can be jarring, and I think it's important to realize that and take care of yourself in whatever way works for you.

p.s. Not to turn this into a gushy fan post, but: If anyone wants to read a book that will make you cry uncontrollably and then make you feel cleansed and hopeful and even exhilarated, read When My Heart Joins the Thousand. I'm not just saying that to be supportive of the OP—I just finished the book, and it stands out. I can see John Green-loving teens loving this book, and adult book clubs would also be a great audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.