Hey All

direwolf0701

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone :hi:

This is my first foray into a writer community forum. I am a longtime student of literature and a voracious reader. I love to write but have never published - it has always been more of a hobby. My working life has been spent in the business world, but I am now looking forward to something new. Hence, I have decided to wade into the depths of freelance writing. At the moment, the process appears somewhat intimidating and the web information concerning such a venture feels overwhelming. Self-doubt and imagined inadequacy tend to batter the ramparts of my confidence. I was more confident writing my doctoral dissertation in English Literature. (Maybe because that was for a select audience of known individuals.)

Anyway, I am looking forward to being a member of this community. Hopefully I can make some positive contributions. And hopefully, over time, I can gain some insights and advice with regard to my new path into the freelance writing world.

RunForPresentense

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, wolf, I'm new and totally doubtful too! *high fives* Welcome, and best of luck here. What sorts of of things do you like to write?

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome to AW! You're sure to build up your confidence here, and I've no doubt there are a few freelancers lurking around who can offer you the benefit of their wisdom. Or maybe they'll just descend and suck your body dry of all its creativity, like literary vampires. Who knows, with freelancers? :p

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations direwolf, hope you find it to a rewarding experience.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Direwolf. Fearsome username. :snoopy:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

direwolf0701

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, wolf, I'm new and totally doubtful too! *high fives* Welcome, and best of luck here. What sorts of of things do you like to write?

As far as my 'zygotic' freelancing gig goes, I am currently focusing on environmental issues with a focus on Conservation and Sustainability (which is my daughter's major at UNH - will be great to pick her brain.) I have yet to land any paid gigs currently, but I am a newbie so must be patient yet relentless in my search.

Spare time writing has always been and still remains poetry. My love for reading poetry is boundless and I always enjoy the challenges of its creation.

Karasue

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Direwolf! Welcome to the forum. Cheers to your new path in freelance writing! I don't know much about it myself, what made you interested in freelance in the first place?

direwolf0701

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Karasue - thanks for the welcome! I only recently became interested in the freelance gig - partly to earn some extra cash and partly due to the instability of the general job market (never mind I don't really enjoy my current job.) I have always loved writing and researching - obtained my Ph.D. in Lit way back in 1994 and, as time goes on, I miss real writing more and more. I figure it is time to MAYBE actually enjoy working - lol.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
As far as my 'zygotic' freelancing gig goes, I am currently focusing on environmental issues with a focus on Conservation and Sustainability (which is my daughter's major at UNH - will be great to pick her brain.) I have yet to land any paid gigs currently, but I am a newbie so must be patient yet relentless in my search.

Spare time writing has always been and still remains poetry. My love for reading poetry is boundless and I always enjoy the challenges of its creation.

One of my favorite college hockey schools. :welcome:

Try entering into competitions for reputation/brand building. Think about developing a brand other ways, such as running a blog or other social media outlets (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, other).

direwolf0701

Registered
Reaction score
thanks Enlightened - just began work on a blog - I am a total newbie at that too - but Wordpress seems to be relatively easy to deal with for techno-dummies like myself. Thinking of creating a new Facebook page as well for the writing portion of my life (again, I am a dummy so that may take help from my daughters - lol.) Putting together some article pitches to see if I can nab a guest post here and there also.

Thanks for the input - very much appreciated!!!

p.s - 42 hours of Brandon Sanderson Instruction? What is that? I LOVE Sanderson's novels!!

Last edited:

storywriter24

Registered
Reaction score
i would like to write romantic supence or a cozy mystrey but write diffrent things so i do'nt get bored hbu?