East Coast Storm -- March 2nd, 2018

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
How is everyone doing? Catching up with friends and the news, and what I am hearing made me want to check in.

I'm near Boston, on the water, and I have friends who are flooded out. Roads closed all over, signs and trees down, building damage. My husband and I are sitting here listening to pieces of someone's roof and who knows what else slam into our house (that is scary). Power somehow still on, but flickering. Even the stoic old-timers, who usually tell tales of the worst storms ever, are saying they've never seen it this bad. Midnight high tide is going to be bad, though not as bad where we are as where many of our friends are. We've got another day of this.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you and your husband are safe, Lyv! I have friends on the Cape I worry about--sounds awful. Also, hope your power stays on. No fun without it!!! :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's full moon, so high tides to start with. Combine that with storm surge, and I saw yesterday that Boston Harbor was due to have three consecutive nights with the highest tides ever recorded there.

caw

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, circumstances are just right for this. My house may end up a bit crowded as we will have heat and hot water even if we lose power (lost landline , which we need because of poor cell reception, internet, and tv). Friends are stuck in their homes going into Day Two with no power.

I know people in other parts of the country dealing with versions of this. Everyone ok?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We got hit with the same storm, with high winds and more than a foot of snow, but because we had ample warning, we are able to sit it out at home. All schools and many businesses closed yesterday. Our power's flickered a few times, but so far, so good.

Others in the area are in the dark, but the crews are out removing fallen trees and replacing broken power lines. Luckily we are not on the water, where there's been a high-water crisis since spring 2017 due to an international disagreement on lake levels, amounting to nations deciding who gets flooded.

Because it's near freezing, the snow is extremely heavy. I routinely shovel, no problem, but the amount I was able to clear in an hour was laughably small.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad folks are okay. We had tons of wind with down trees and some power outages. Today things are pretty much back to normal here. I hope the harder hit areas recover quickly.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're all OK. The satellite image looks like a hurricane, maybe no eye wall but otherwise clearly the same damaging wind and water power.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I was so relieved we didn't get snow, though it was predicted. Sorry you had to deal with that.

There's a loop I sometimes walk in my neighborhood. It's a 3/4 mile round trip and this is the halfway point. That's a little basketball court adjacent to a school. What looks like a garbage dump is a grassy area that is now clogged with whatever washed up from people's yards. The beach is at the end of street, and from other videos and social media posts, it looks like at least one neighbor lost a boat. A pretty big boat.

Video

It's going to take a long time to clean up from this. Roads buckled, trees down, flooding, buildings half-demolished. Storms are getting worse and worse. We have never had anything like this. I knew it was bad just from my friends' posts and what I was seeing, but our city's twitter hashtag shook me up. It was dicey for some of my friends, who are very practical and would have evacuated had they had any idea it would be this bad, but some whose houses are flooded have never even had water on their streets. The National Guard among others really came through with rescues.