Good Vegetarian Dinners

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I kinda killed the suspense in the lead-up, but the curry happened tonight. W00t! Will also be happening tomorrow night. And weekly after that, for eternity. I will die for the curry. I will kill for the curry.

*eyez glow red, infused with the power of curry*

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
*backing away nervously from the red-eyed dog*

So, what, exactly did you have with the curry? Was it anything growing near Chernobyl?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes, rice and naan. Very good dinner. :)

ETA:

*Normal eyez*

Hmm. Might have been the pinch of mummy powder I threw in. Need to stop shopping for spices at the botánicas.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
So... lasagnas?

Blanco

32 oz ricotta
quart of milk (or unsweetened, non-vanilla-flavoured milk-like thing)
cheese -- uhm, handful or so of cheddar or something, some smoked mozzarella or gouda if you've got it (TJ's sells sliced smoked gouda that melts really well), some parm.
lasagna noodles (I just use the no-boil kind mostly, but if you feel the need to boil some, go nuts)
vegetables! (again, whatever. I normally do for lasagna mushrooms (sauteed first), broccoli and spinach -- broccoli in florets steamed to juuuust barely cooked and the spinach and baby kale flash wilted in a hot pan, but I've also done cauliflower, carrots (cut in rounds), asparagus (all similarly steamed), zucchini (sauteed first)...
an egg
garlic
spices -- cayenne, salt, pepper, whatever.

First, cut/steam or sautee/prep your veg. I probably use a couple-three cups each, but depends on the size of the pan, type of veg, etc. Put aside

Next, cheesy spicy bechamel

Make a roux (melt like 3tbs butter and add 3 tbsp flour, equal amts, it should be a thick paste) add salt, pepper, little cayenne, crushed garlic, cook for a minute or so. Add in milk, bit at a time, whisk the first addition in to get smooth, keep bringing up to heat and adding milk, half cup or so at a time. I use like... 7/8 or so of a quart? Midway, toss in a handful or two of cheese to melt and a handful of parm, stir and keep going. When you've got a pot of bubbly, thickish, cheesy sauce, take off the heat and put aside.

Dump the ricotta into a bowl, add salt, pepper, cayenne, dried garlic, onion, oregano (or fresh), about 1/3ish cup of grated parm and a smallish handful of grated or chopped up melting cheese like gouda or jack or something, add the cracked egg, mix to combine.

Take a deep-dish lasagna pan -- put a goodly amt of bechamel on the bottom of the bare pan. Put in noodles. Dollop ricotta mixture and spread around evenly. Toss on veg. Spoon a layer of sauce. Noodles, ricotta, veg, sauce - end with noodles and cover them in a decently thick layer of sauce, then top with parmesan and bake @375 for like 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray:

Gonna try the blanco next weekend, then I might take some of this and rejigger it into my pesto lasagna. Been thinking about ways to improve it. I have a bit of an issue with no-boil, for a while it seemed like they were the only thing available, I could never get them to cook right. Lasagna's gonna be a kitchen apocalypse, but I am always up to the challenge.

Damn, how heavy is your head, Cornie?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Recipes don't weigh much. The lasagna is heavy tho. :ROFL:

Do you make your own pesto?

It's almost pesto season here!! I go as pesto nuts as possible in the summer and try to fill the freezer.

Just in case you don't, though you like pesto so... but I keep meeting ppl when I buy lots of basil who are all 'dang' and when I say 'pesto' they ask how to make it so..

LOTS of basil. Like, a lot of basil. At least a couple bunches the size of your head. Don't mess around with the little packets, go for the stuff sold like fresh spinach or flowers, in big bunches tied at the stem base.
Olive oil
pine nuts
parmesan
garlic
salt

I use a blender; if you've got a food processor, all the better, but whatever.

I trim just the ends off and then put all the basil in a giant bowl with cold water, rinse rinse, and leave it sitting in the water.

Take bunches, shake water off, pack into the blender slightly damp. Yeah, stems and leaves. Stems taste like basil too, have fibre for body, and it's all getting blended, so...
Pack the blender like 4/5ths full. Pour in about 1/2 c. oli
Add two or three heaping spoons of garlic (I buy crushed in bulk but whole cloves are fine, it's a blender)
a palmful of pine nuts
like 1/3 c. parm
salt

Blend until smooth. This usually takes a couple rounds of stopping, shoving at the basil with a spatula to push the unblended stuff down, mix, etc (always STOP the blender before you stick anything into it) and sometimes adding some more oil. You really can't hurt it, some ppl like more garlic, like it thinner (add oil), thicker (less oil), etc. I like thicker and can then just add oil to the pasta.

When you get a smooth, bright green thick paste like thick soup (pourable but very thick), pour into a saucepan and heat on medium/low. Stir and heat. Takes about five minutes. The colour will change to like a very vivid green and the flavour will go from a harsh, grassy deal to a sweet pesto (you're just cooking the rawness out of the garlic and basil and setting the basil so it doesn't go black). Put in a container of some kind and stick in the fridge or freezer.

Freezes great, just take out and thaw in the fridge and use as regular.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
*Assiduously takes notes on pad of paper, eyez glowing green softly*

Heh, actually I have made pesto before. I have no idea how I did it, frankly.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
This week did a vegan Coq au Vin with vegetable broth, shallots, minced garlic, fresh thyme, parsley, and dry bay leaf, puertobello mushrooms, Malbec wine (I think it was called Layer Cake), carrots, potatoes. We actually used this as a base for a fondue pot, and cooked more mushrooms, asparagus, slices of savory tofu, carrots, and edamame in it. Very good, and fun too.