looking for my ideal cloud storage. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Dropbox just had an IPO last week and started at $28 - now at $31...

Back on topic, for cloud storage, I use a combo of Dropbox, Google Drive, and Box. I have my local folders scripted to copy from folder D to G, then B nightly on the home PC. The home PC is (almost) always connected, so the files for each cloud app sync daily as well. My iPad, iPhone, laptop and Samsung all have the same accounts so I can access any file from any computer or device nearly any time. No flash drives, no emails and no user interaction needed on my part.

One caveat - never put anything in cloud storage that contains personal identity info like taxes, passport scans, drivers licenses, etc. Anything in cloud storage I presume is subject to being hacked...

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I use Sync.com. It has more space than dropbox on a free account, 6GB and is easy to make folders and add files.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the above suggestions. I had the exact same question about what Cloud services people use. Currently I have everything saved on my desktop PC plus a few emails sent, and I am afraid that I would lose everything if the PC crashed and died someday. So to be safe, I need to find a Cloud service to store my manuscripts.

I tried working with OneDrive but I keep coming up with screwy errors, so I am not sure what has happened. I am familiar with DropBox and will probably make use of it.

Thanks for the info.

Not sure, with the passing of time, whether there are newer solutions to consider since the thread is over a year old.

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Beside cloud storage/backup, I would suggest you consider a flash or SD drive for daily/weekly backup/mirroring. A 32G flash drive is less than $10. 16G is below $5. Get a freeware backup/mirror software and let it do the donkey work.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I use DropBox and iCloud; I mostly write about Apple technologies, so I really need to have iCloud.

Whatever you do, you want multiple redundant backups.

Local to a USB stick or portable drive
Remote to a cloud service (but don't think of the Cloud as a backup platform; it's for syncing, and they are not the same).
Email yourself files regularly.
Consider regularly exporting the word processor file to an .rtf file; it's readable by just about anything, and file corruption is less of an issue.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
To add to Admin's post, if you are also backing up to an external hard drive or USB, this helps safeguard on the off chance you run into some of that nasty Ransomware business. (Those can lock up not only your computer, but also wherever you are syncing into the cloud...seen it happen at work multiple times until our IT said "NO MORE DROPBOX" and forced everyone to what they considered more secure cloud solutions.)

And saving as an .rtf is also good. Corrupted files are bad. Very bad. They make writers cry. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I downloaded Sync yesterday and I like that their freeware has 3 GB of space more than Dropbox. I also have several blank DVD's I can burn my manuscripts onto. The next time I go to Walmart, I'm going to buy a flash drive. One can never be too careful.

macfrom108

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Dropbox for me too. I write locally. It's mirrored at Dropbox. Then I save a version on Google Docs so I can port it over to Natural Read (a text-to-speech app). I listen to it as I drive in to work (long commute).

Status
Not open for further replies.