lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
We will make March majestic, all of us.

How is everyone? How did February go? Did you lose goals, or gain them? Did you exceed your own expectations? Did life interfere? Share and Enjoy.

What's on deck for March? How can we help? Encouragement? Accountability? Commiseration? Good old-fashioned listening?

Go, everyone! :e2cheer:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Oh, h*ll, I forgot to blog in February. (I started a couple, but they kinda went south.)

I am way behind, although there's a decent reason for it: parts of Arkhangelsk that I thought would need only light revisions ended up getting completely redone. I'm only now beginning the Bit That I Knew I'd Have To Rewrite, so I'm maybe 2 weeks behind. The good news is I'm liking it, and I think some of the subplots are gelling nicely. It's all going to be one big integrated bundle when I'm done, yay! Still hoping to get it to beta in March, but we'll see.

Goals!

1) Finish Arkhangelsk revisions, and ship her off to beta
2) D*mmit, Liz, do some proper blogging
3) March newsletter
4) If there's any March left after the above: back to Condition of War and revising my short story

Here we go...

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
*looks back at February goals*
*cruel, bitter laughter*
*sets new March goals*

Two chapters to write. Come on, dammit, I can do this.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I did pretty well in February: wrote 16k on Oubliette, and it's now 55k.

I had originally wanted to start revisions on my secret project, but I am still waiting for 2 betas to get back with me. I've decided to start anyway, and hope they come through soon. I had wanted to release it near my birthday, which is at the end of this month.

So, this month will be devoted to that, and maybe more Oubliette. Keeping it light b/c I have freelance work coming that will need to be done, too.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Today was...today. I wrote a blog post this morning, and then proceeded to not work on my WIP all afternoon.

I need to start thinking of it like NaNoWriMo. 2K/day, good, bad, or indifferent. I need to get the section rewritten before I can think about revising it.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wrapped up my last edit run (post test readers) on my first novel at the end of February and I'm at the beginning of querying and the whatever the future is beyond that. Joined AW a couple of days ago, already picked up some insight on writing in general, so I think it was a good move on my part to join. All in all things are going well.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
February went really well in terms of getting stuff accomplished on my list...hoping to carry that into March:

1/2. Go to Donald Maass workshop next weekend and (probably) have mind blown. He does amazing workshops. Workshop was so-so.
1. Do the thing I didn't do in February--change themes on my website. Still askeered of the whole idea, but it has to be done... In progress... DONE-ish!
2a. Format interior file for ARCs for July BVC book (working on this now--almost done). Done!
2b. Set up and order proofs for ARCs in preparation to send 'em out by early April. Done (twice)
2c. Start doing some of the incidental stuff around July BVC release, like putting up a placeholder page on my site, deciding when to do a cover reveal, and etc. etc. Done, but there's more to come
3. Send out a newsletter in late March. Going to hold off on this till website is done being tweaked, so...early April? Gonna wait till preorder links go live, so late April.
4. Keep working on current historical fantasy/mystery novella for series. Heh, well...
5. Talk to agent about whether to move ahead on new YA or find something different. Done. Gonna work on a different new YA after #5 is done.

6. Time and/or inclination permitting, revise opening of haunted house short story.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Oh, hey, moar wordz today! 2,502. Should not have made my brain jello, but there ya go.

I figure I've got 6-8K more for this rewritten section, and then I can tie it into what's already there. And then I can do a light revision, and then I can send it to beta.

And then I can fall down for a while.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Zan75 - Welcome to AW and this thread! Good luck.

Marissa - Good luck with your goals!

Liz - Nice job! The idea of falling down for awhile is a good one.

I've done nothing yet except freelance work. I got a project from my client a bit early so I will have a head start. We have family in from out of town, and I've been feeling yucky about just about everything. Hopefully that will go away soon.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
No words for me recently. I keep tinkering with queries as a kind of productive procrastination.

Also, work is... interesting at the moment. A job search may be on the horizon. So that's a thing.

Saoirse - hopefully we can both get out of this rut and be productive this month. Hang in there.
Zan75 - welcome!
Marissa - nice list of goals.
Liz - great wordage!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
After reading some forums here and watching a few videos, I've gone back to my work and done some minor editing these last couple of mornings. Nothing overly drastic, just trying to make it better (I'm my own worse critic so it's never as good as I want it to be)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You are all amazing. :e2cheer:

I wrote some words today - not sure how many, because I pretty much replaced the chapter I wrote 2 days ago. I know it's not backsliding because it had to be done, but I'm feeling a bit frustrated, forward-progress-wise.

Right now the MS is at 108K, and I have a hunch it's going to settle more or less there. The perfect length for SF, yay!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
There were words today! 938 of them. Not the numbers I wanted, but so very much more than zero.

AND my newsletter is scheduled to go out tomorrow. That'll be three I've managed to finish and get out on time. When I make 12, I'll have champagne. :)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:cheers: Liz!

Nothing but the freelance job. But today I want to dip my toe into my secret project so I can get moving on it. Starting a revision is always tough.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
SO I have outlined and outlined and outlined, which I hate to do, and revised a chapter and a half of the revision that was replacing the original third act.

I have no idea what that means for my progress.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote about 300 words today. Not much, but at least it wasn't zero.
Also got my very first ever rejection today. Of course it isn't as good as an inquiry for more, but I still feel like it's an accomplishment.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Ugh. I'm in Massachusetts which has been clobbered by storms for the last two weeks. We lost power and internet last week; while we have a generator (yay hot showers and a working refrigerator) which took care of things while the power was out, internet has been another issue--we just got it back late this afternoon. I'm waaaaaay behind on getting stuff done. :cry:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Oodles and oodles of nothing at all today.

Could someone please poke me with a stick to make sure I make progress tomorrow?

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
About 1100 pages yesterday and floating around 300 today so far.