Don't Let Rejection Statistics Get You Down

Eluveitie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently querying. While examining my spreadsheet, I realized that although my request rate is currently 18%, if I had sent out queries in groups of 10, I would have much different rates per grouping.

For example, for this particular project, I have sent out 91 queries and currently am at 17 requests and 23 rejections. In my first round of 10 queries, I received 4 requests and 1 rejection (the others haven't responded, but it's been less than 8 weeks so I haven't written them off yet). In the round of 10 queries right after it (with the same letter), I received 7 rejections and 1 request. With some groupings, I have received mostly rejections.

I began with agents whose manuscript wishlists called for specific elements that fit my story and personalized my query accordingly. After that, I queried agents who represent my genre but may not be looking for something specifically like my story. That being said, if I had started by querying agents who are just looking for YA fantasy, without personalizing my letters or searching their MSWL lists, my statistics might be far different and I might have mistakenly assumed that my query was the problem.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't begun querying yet, but I'm wondering if there is a "normal" percentage spread that most authors fall into for requests?
For example, using Eluveitie's 18% request rate, is that a pretty typical request rate for most authors or does it vary more?

Eluveitie

Registered
Reaction score
I think it varies a good amount. When I queried the book that I signed with my first agent on, it was more like 10%.

I should also add, with the other book I am querying now, I'm at a 0% request rate on 13 queries, with 6 of those queries resulting in rejections. If I reach 20 queries with no requests, then I will reevaluate my query.

vhilal

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted 5 queries and received 3 rejections. I lucked out to have an established author provide feedback and suggestions on my query (as it turns out my original query was crap as far as queries go). I'm hoping to make the final changes this week and start querying again next week. I've read recommendations to send queries in batches of 5-7, and if you don't get any bites to rework the query at that point. If you get requests for fulls or partials but THEY go nowhere, then you should look at the manuscript itself. Does this resonates with the AW community and your experience?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
If 13 agents said no (or didn't reply---same difference) to your query, maybe it would be better to reconsider it now rather than burning 7 more agents from your wish list.

Hotaru-Tomoe

Registered
Reaction score
I began with agents whose manuscript wishlists called for specific elements that fit my story and personalized my query accordingly. After that, I queried agents who represent my genre but may not be looking for something specifically like my story. That being said, if I had started by querying agents who are just looking for YA fantasy, without personalizing my letters or searching their MSWL lists, my statistics might be far different and I might have mistakenly assumed that my query was the problem.

That sounds about right. I've so far only received partial- and full requests from agents who I've queried specifically because my project fits their MSWL. That said, they've all come back with form rejections with the standard "It's not you, it's me" reassurances. I'm hoping it's still a bit premature to make any solid conclusions about my manuscript, though; I've only started querying late last month and have only sent out less than 10 queries so far (still waiting on rejections from five more :e2violin:)

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at a 50% ratio right now, but I've only heard back on two queries (one a full request, one a form rejection) out of the five or so I've sent out since last Wednesday. The first query being a full request was probably the best worst thing to happen because it really screwed with my expectations. So that's fun.

Winterwind

Just hanging out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fromunderthedarkcloud.blogspot.com
Oh, the pain.
I just received two more rejections- have revamped my query and am about to do so again, but it hurts.
I'm 0 for 10 at the moment.
I've had one agent read the manuscript (favor from a friend of a friend) and give it a glowing review, BUT not her genre. Had a retired editor from Simon and Schuster do the same (with a myriad of edits, of course).
At this point, I feel the problem lies in the query and the first few pages- it's not the greatest WOW start and I am thinking of how to improve it. Right after I eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's to console myself...:cry::D

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 0 for 9 right now which absolutely sucks. However, something evidently isn't working. I've had some positive comments on the hook and plenty on the writing itself, but there could be a problem with my MC. Former agent didn't like her at all (she does something bad in chapter 1, which the whole plot hangs on) and I have a feeling this may be the issue for some of the new agents too, as I firmly believe the concept and plotting is sound. So, I'm seeing this as an opportunity to revise my MS. I've tweaked the MC's motive to make it more sympathetic, which seems to work, but as with any sizable change it's causing problems later in my script... argh. The joy of revisions!

So, yeah, my stats so far are depressing, but assuming I've worked out the reason for them, I'm feeling better about the whole thing now.