Ugh. Pause, go forward, or go back?

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Dilemma.

I am about 3/4 through the current draft of my book, and the characters just won't go any further. I'm a pantser at heart but I've been trying to be more organized with planning, since the story crosses genres and is pretty complex. I've done multiple outlines or synopses trying out different scenarios. I've written out two of them, the entire story all the way to the end, so this isn't a first draft. Neither of the previous attempts really hit what I want to do, and now the characters are just standing there staring at me with their arms folded.

I'm not a good planner. I've taken a longish break on writing this story, but haven't gotten anywhere trying to analyze/diagram the issues. So I guess I'll swing back to pantsing for a bit, see what happens to this hot mess on my computer. But I can't decide if I should thrash to the end of this draft even if the characters pretty much refuse to head to the climactic scene I dreamed up. Or should I head back to the beginning and hack my way through to find the problem as I rewrite?

Any advice?

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
When I struggle like that, I go back to the beginning and re-read what I've already written. I find that I get back into the feel and the way to proceed usually reveals itself.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Going back to the beginning can work. It sometimes sparks an idea that solves everything. Sometimes, though, you just need to get away from the work, do something else.

I don't know about you, but there comes a point in every book I write where I get fed-up with the characters and their stories. Taking a step back, writing a short story or the outline of another novel, is a great way to refresh your mind.

Trust me, the second you want to focus on something else, those pesky earlier characters will unfold their arms and come out fighting. :greenie

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Rereading does help sometimes, but then Madame Perfectionist wakes up and I get bogged down in what's wrong with the stuff I'm reading instead of just going with the flow and getting back into the mood in order to continue the end spurt. There's still a lot wrong with the early part of the book too, since I'm not at the point where I'm carefully looking at every word/sentence/beat/page.

I was thinking of doing something else for a few days, maybe timed writing or fiddling with notes for the next book, while *trying* not to think about this one (which means I'll think about it!). I'm missing some key thing in the story and I feel like I want to shake it by the shoulders and scream "What is it?" instead of walking away. Even when I know walking away might be best in the short term. But I've had breaks from this book, I've just come off a pretty long one (months). I swung back into it for about two weeks and then hit a wall. Grrrr.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
As you've seen, there are various ways to approach this. Here's another. Back up to the last point where you felt excited about the characters and where the story was going. And then look at what happens immediately after that point. This could be where the story went off the road and got stuck in the mud.

As a fellow pantser, I've had times where I hit that same stone wall. The method for finding the problem has varied a bit, but however I get there (rereading and revising forward, or backing up to see if I missed a road sign somewhere, or even writing a whole new section just so I'll stop obsessing about the problem), the solution always revolves around finding the place where I went wrong. The latest incidence of this was the longest I have even been stuck, but it turned out the solution was only a matter of backing up a few paragraphs and rewriting from there. And I had to rewrite it several times, in different ways, before I finally hit on the direction that was right.

Persistence is sometimes the only thing that gets you through. :Hammer: :)

Last edited:

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Usually when I get stuck in this place it's because I've taken a wrong turn somewhere and I need to change something. It's my brain's way of not letting me go forward with something it's screaming won't be viable story. But that's just me. Where was the last place you felt the story was grooving? Is it a long way back?

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
I've been in this exact situation, and recently. I break and work on something else. Short stories, or another novel. Going back to the beginning can help, but carries a lot of risk. If you know about a scene in the last quarter of the book you want to write, just write it. Don't worry about whether it will keep or not. Working through it will open some doors to the other possibilities in the last part of the book, and you may find what you're looking for.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Trust your instincts. If you write intuitively then you have to trust the intuition; planning wont fix it. You're stuck for a reason.

Take a break, read something else, write something else, go back and reread the beginning, all of those are good.

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, it's a pretty common experience for any writer. Writing is a creative, intuitive process, most of it is unconscious even though you might think otherwise. You're a panster so you might already know this: stories, inspirations, breakthroughs, they do require active thinking, but the best ideas come when you've thought all you could ever think, leaned back with no hope, and then the idea/epiphany just pops into your head all of a sudden. It's not a magical process, but it just works below your consciousness so most of it just happens naturally. In fact those moments when you think, "Oh, what an idea!" it's actually a work of your unconscious, where different thoughts merge without your awareness and then they enter your awareness in the form of inspiration.

The point of this rather abstract explanation is: Most of the time when you've done all your left-brain, logical, analytical thinking and planning, it's time for the right-brain to take over, but most of the right brain processes require the opposite our careful critical thinking. They require openness and a beginner's mind.

So here's what you should do in my opinion (and this has worked for me many times): as others have suggested, read through the MS, but without trying to fix it, just get a feel for it, and then once your unconscious has an idea of the new picture or how things stand in the story, it will go to work for you, and you don't have to try to actively think about then. In a few days it'll give you a solution when you least expect. The trick is not to force it or pressurize it or do the critical thinking that we're taught throughout our life (which is very useful usually but often fails to help in creative pursuits).

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

I did a combo of some of the advice here, and you won't believe this. I started reading a trunked novel of mine instead of the one I'm stuck on. To free up my mind, right? It was better than I remembered it, and as I was reading, I started thinking about how the story might end. (I don't remember the details anymore).

Then I went away, work, errands, kids. Driving home tonight ---

, the idea/epiphany just pops into your head all of a sudden..
for the book I'm stuck on.

I am literally driving and thinking "I need paper!" Got home, scribbled some notes that I hope aren't too cryptic when I look at them tomorrow. Basically the idea rotates the story, giving my protag a certain key action that I'd given to another character at the beginning of the book. I THINK this is going to fire things up without losing the good stuff already in the story.

I'll work out some stuff roughly on paper, I think, but not too much. I want to see where this takes me (if anywhere). So much looks fine in a plan and doesn't wash in the writing, but I'm willing to try. I really, really hope this sticks!

Last edited:

tharris

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you found your way out!

I'll just put my advice here, since this is an evergreen topic:

This happened to me recently, and I tried to imagine the absolute worst possible thing could be to happen to my characters. It took several days, but I finally got an idea. I still wasn't convinced, though, because this was a really bad thing and broke what I had planned later in the story. The more I thought about it the more it made sense. I had to pre-kill my darlings.

To answer the initial question: pause, don't panic, take a step back for a few days, go on some walks, take long showers, remain open-minded about what ideas come to you.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Glad you found your way back. But this is a general problem. And one of the solutions is: QUIT. The book may forever be a failure that no amount of inspiration and reworking will fix.

That's all right. Many of us have several trunked books that will never work out. But they WERE useful. They were practice. They made me better.

And sometimes, amidst the wrecked books, there were hidden gems which I was able to pull out, polish, and use. Partial books may be failures, but writing them was a success.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure you can have it both ways. You're either a pantser and let your characters take you wherever they want to go, or you plan ahead how it's all going to end. If you want to guide your characters toward a certain end, you might have to map out some waypoints for them to follow.

Of course you can combine both approaches, but not while insisting on the purity of either. I would try a little of both. Your characters are probably not as stalled as you make it sound. Unless all their conflicts are resolved, they want to keep going, just not in the direction you want. Maybe just see which way it is they want to go. Either you will find a way to join that up with your path, or you will understand what motivates them to go that way, and you can go back and adjust your plot to remove or obstruct that motivation, so that they will stay on the course you designate.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure you can have it both ways. You're either a pantser and let your characters take you wherever they want to go, or you plan ahead how it's all going to end. If you want to guide your characters toward a certain end, you might have to map out some waypoints for them to follow.

Of course you can combine both approaches, but not while insisting on the purity of either. I would try a little of both. Your characters are probably not as stalled as you make it sound. Unless all their conflicts are resolved, they want to keep going, just not in the direction you want. Maybe just see which way it is they want to go. Either you will find a way to join that up with your path, or you will understand what motivates them to go that way, and you can go back and adjust your plot to remove or obstruct that motivation, so that they will stay on the course you designate.

I agree I'm probably not a 100% pantser because I'm a rabid note taker/scribbler, so there are always bits planned out or thought over ahead of time even if I don't do a formal outline. I do a lot of mind-mapping type bubble diagram things with arrows and notes pointing this way and that because half the battle for me is understanding the relationships between characters, how they influence each other.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The new inspiration is great, even now after the initial couple days of mind-on-fire has worn off. The new ideas still make sense, I'm excited about executing them, and I know it'll be a better book. I also know I'll probably hit another wall somewhere, but you know that feeling that you're on the right track again? That's what I'm feeling now. So thanks again.

vhilal

Registered
Reaction score
Trust your instincts. If you write intuitively then you have to trust the intuition; planning wont fix it. You're stuck for a reason.

Take a break, read something else, write something else, go back and reread the beginning, all of those are good.

I agree with Harlequin. I was stuck and rewrote my ending twice but just couldn't nail it. I took a break for a month, read a lot, reflected on the ending from time to time, and then one night just before bed--BAM! there it was. Best of luck.