Trade or self-publishing?

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
If for whatever reason, an author can't travel, but can be available by email or phone, what sort of publishing options are open to them?

(And of course, I understand getting an agent is a long shot, let alone a book deal.)

Are agents/large trade publishers out? Should they still query agents at all? Am I wrong in thinking there is probably the expectation of conferences, or other in-person meetings if you have an agent/book deal from a trade publisher?

Would it be possible to still trade publish with a smaller press? Do you still query agents if you go this route or do agents consider this annoying?

And of course there is self-publishing, which would work.

Thanks for all the helpful answers!

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Any options are open. The days of authors automatically being sent on book tours and so on have passed, except for the biggest names. And going to conferences is certainly not a requirement. Don't use ability or willingness to travel as a criterion to guide what kind of publishing to pursue. If a large trade publisher love your book and thinks it will sell well (and make them money), they're not going to say no.

And besides, what with technology being what it is, an author can still do public appearances by Skype, etc.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Trade publishers have made all sorts of writers a success. Even dead writers, who obviously can't attend conferences.

Whether you can travel or not shouldn't affect your options here. The only important factor is your work.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't travel. I had an agent, and published three books with a Big 5. The current state of my career has nothing to do with not traveling.

I did a Skype call with my publisher's marketing team early on and mentioned I don't fly, and one of them said "Oh, another one." So it's not just me. :)

Trade or self depends entirely on what you want from publishing, and what you want for a particular work. There are risks and benefits to both.

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
These answers are really helpful. Thank you, all!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I did travel to a conference and a book fest, but it was always presented to me as an optional thing. Like, "You've been invited to this; would you like to go?" No obligations. And in-person meetings have never been mentioned. Most of the writers I know who have had in-person meetings with their agent or editor do so because they live in NYC, or wherever the agent/editor lives. Or because they were traveling anyway and wanted to stop in at the publisher's offices and say hi.

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
That's helpful, thank you!