Labeling the manuscript properly in the query letter

Derimed

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've repeatedly heard that agents dislike it when a manuscript is mislabeled, (so, if it's horror and the author represents it as something other than horror in the query, that's really bad.) My book is definitely fantasy but there's a lot of romance between the characters and I also drew a lot from Greek mythology, which I've liked since I was a kid.

Should I leave the label as "fantasy" or should I label it as "fantasy with romance influences and drawing from Greek mythology" or something of that sort? If just "fantasy" is okay, I don't mind at all, but I don't want my query to be thrown out because I mislabeled it.

Thank you very much for your time.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's not the way people get pissed. If it's fantasy and you label it fantasy and query agents who rep fantasy you're fine.

It's a problem when, as you note, people don't understand categories and genres, don't properly research the agents they query, or try to subvert what agents rep/request, by sending YA romance to agents who specify they only rep adult fantasy, or label something fantasy because someone in their genre romance has a dream.

Derimed

Registered
Reaction score
So, if it's clearly fantasy but the opening chapters are also highly romantic (despite the clear fantasy content,) the agent for sure won't get mad? Sorry, just crossing my "t"s and dotting my "i"s. Thanks!

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
So, if it's clearly fantasy but the opening chapters are also highly romantic (despite the clear fantasy content,) the agent for sure won't get mad? Sorry, just crossing my "t"s and dotting my "i"s. Thanks!

Many novels, fantasy or otherwise, have romance subplots. The genre label refers to the overarching placement of the manuscript, not to any particular plot line or theme. Where will it sit on the bookstore shelf, so to speak. If you're unsure of the answer, ask your beta readers for feedback. You may also find it helpful to consider what titles you'd compare it to.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Well, someone might have put soy in their almond latte but for not specifying every thematic element in your book, no.

A classic detective mystery might have a highly romantic opening chapter, and have a King Lear allusion, and have a really gory murder, but it's still a mystery. It's not, as mpack said, going to be shelved in horror, or romance, or with Shakespeare plays. Most stuff is not just one thing, but people want to know what they're getting. There are all different kinds of mysteries but they have specific things that make them mysteries. Black Panther is a superhero movie. It might have 16 other themes but if you have to describe it in one word, what is it?

Derimed

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much! One more thing about labeling the manuscript, if you don't mind... some people say I should not list books my book compares to, (including the very nice woman that helped me prepare my query letter,) because they said agents get irritated by someone comparing their manuscript to a major famous book. Others say such a comparison is needed, including a major agent I've been looking at to send my query to.

I really like Tolkien and I really like Greek mythology, so that would be the reference, except I've gotten contradictory advice on whether I should put that as an influence in the query's first sentence. Is it a thing where you normally don't put the influence, unless the agent specifically asks for it?

Thanks again for your help.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Comp titles are intended to show a prospective agent where your book might fit in among recent releases--it shows there's a possible/likely market for your book and helps them when they're thinking about what editors they might pitch it to. It's not to explain your "influences." Can you think of books released in the last 2 or so years that yours might be similar to in subject, tone, or likely audience?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
The thing about references is, they should be modern, within the last year or two, and not former bestsellers that everyone knows. It should be a sign that you know the genre you're trying to sell into and what's out there similar to your work. Using things like Tolkien, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, whatever says "I'm going for the easy answer" at best and "I don't know what's like this today or even if this market is still selling to publishers, I'm just writing what has been popular" at worst. You want to say "This book will appeal to readers of books that are fresh and new and not oversaturated or toppled by The Big Name." Some agents say they want comps, but no agent wants Big Name comps. Look at more modern fantasy novels or novels based on Greek myth that aren't the Percy Jackson series and find ones you think readers of your book would like. Those are your references.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Thank you very much! One more thing about labeling the manuscript, if you don't mind... some people say I should not list books my book compares to, (including the very nice woman that helped me prepare my query letter,) because they said agents get irritated by someone comparing their manuscript to a major famous book. Others say such a comparison is needed, including a major agent I've been looking at to send my query to.

I really like Tolkien and I really like Greek mythology, so that would be the reference, except I've gotten contradictory advice on whether I should put that as an influence in the query's first sentence. Is it a thing where you normally don't put the influence, unless the agent specifically asks for it?

Thanks again for your help.

Comps should be current (within the last few years - definitely not Tolkein) - that's probably where the "irritated by comps to a famous book" comes into it.

It's been suggested to me that agents like to know you've read within your genre, and have some idea of where you think your book fits into the current market. It can also provide more information about your story - if you've evoked an atmosphere in your book that you don't feel you can evoke strongly enough in a brief query, you can comp to a book that "feels" the same to you as a reader.

I think, too, it's important to identify current comps for your own survival. They'll help you determine not only your genre, but your sub-genre. This may not be a piece of information you need, but if you do, it's critical that you have it right.

Derimed

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know of recent titles like mine. I just like old books and I learned reading and writing on those. I used to read up-to-date fantasy, but I was disappointed with a lot of it in comparison to the older stuff, so I stopped years ago. For example, I started out as a big Wheel of Time fan, but by the tenth book I compared it to the first and it just wasn't the same in terms of quality. Is it okay to just state genre/word count without the comps, or is that really bad?

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
No, you don't have to include comps. But be aware that some agents ask for them. It might be worth going to a bookstore new you that has a good fantasy section and start looking through recent books to see if you can find some. And you never know if you might find something new that you like. ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
To be honest, I don't know of recent titles like mine. I just like old books and I learned reading and writing on those. I used to read up-to-date fantasy, but I was disappointed with a lot of it in comparison to the older stuff, so I stopped years ago. For example, I started out as a big Wheel of Time fan, but by the tenth book I compared it to the first and it just wasn't the same in terms of quality. Is it okay to just state genre/word count without the comps, or is that really bad?

As Marissa says, for your query, it probably doesn't matter.

But if you want to make a career as a writer, you have to know what's out there currently. (There are plenty of fantasy books and series newer than Wheel of Time.) You have to know what's selling and what it's being sold as. Genre is marketing first and foremost, and you need to know where your work is going to fit in today's market.

I'd go so far as to say this is the single most important thing you need to do after writing the best possible book you can.

rusoluchka

Registered
Reaction score
I second lizmonster. Even if you don't use comps in the query, it's good to have 2-3 comp titles published in the last few years so you can bring it up in conversation and live pitching. It also shows the agent that you're current in the market and actively reading/participating in the community.

Derimed

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, everybody! I appreciate your help and your time.

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
Is it okay to just state genre/word count without the comps, or is that really bad?

If an agent doesn't specify, you can leave off the comp titles. Some agents do specify, however, and for those you need to consider looking at books published in the last five years or so for comparison. This is another point where a beta reader may be helpful. You could also post a chapter in the SF&F SYW forum with a specific request for possible comp titles.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Something I'll add is you could risk doing a disservice to yourself by mislabelling a book. I'm querying mine at the moment and have found it very hard to pin down its genre - when querying I billed it as a thriller, and have received a couple of flat out rejections from agents who don't want thrillers right now. This is annoying as although there are thriller elements to the book I've come to realise that, actually, it's first and foremost a contemp rather than a thriller, and it would have been better to make that clear.

However, in your case, from what you say, your's definitely sounds like fantasy, so I don't think you need to worry.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I lean toward the idea that each and every single word INSIDE a query should go to trying to hook the agent. If my writing is clear enough it'll be instantly obvious what genre or subgenre my story is.

OUTSIDE the query, in the subject line, we probably need to include the broad category such as SCIENCE FICTION or YOUNG ADULT. A lot of submission guidelines state that.

We mostly need to know the genre/subgenre of our book to be sure we send it to an agent who wants such. I've seen such submission guidelines as "Love science fiction but not currently accepting steampunk or post-apocalyptic."