length and accessability

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing something that could be a long chapter or even an entire book, I think, but despite the number of things I'm talking about, it's turning out shorter than I thought it would be. I can't tell if I'm talking about too many things too quickly. I'm not sure how to go in depth without adding unnecessary info, and I'm not sure if I'm packing what I do have too densely. Would someone please offer some guidance? I've written almost exclusively (bad) fiction for ~20 years and feel like I don't have a good handle on what I'm doing.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
It's really hard to advise an author about what a particular piece of writing needs without actually seeing it. Might it be a help for you to seek beta readers, or even an alpha reader, in the beta readers section of AW?

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
How much would I need to complete and supply to provide a good enough idea of what I'm doing, would you say?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried posting an excerpt in SYW? Often even a couple thousand words can give a good idea, as the same issues tend to persist.

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Got a couple responses. Thanks.

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
i would post a short sample of what you're writing in SYW. That way you can get feedback from multiple people and see what outside reactions are. It's sort of hard to judge what's going on without actually seeing a sample of the writing.