Signs of Spring

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
When the henbit and the flowering quince are both out at the same time, I know that it's just a few days before the plums and pears start blossoming. When those catch up, then it really starts feeling like spring.

Zvibenmor

A real bustard
Registered
Reaction score
A sign of spring for us used to be when our dog (back when we had only one) would go from sleeping under the blanket on our bed to sleeping on the blanket on our bed. She is small & when she was younger (we've had her for almost 12 years), she would come up on our bed, use her head to worm her way under the blanket until she found her spot & plop down to zzz. My wife & I would leave for work in the morning and would check that the dog was inside (as opposed to being out in the yard). We would often see this lump under the blanket on our bed and knew that was the dog. She would do this only in the winter & a sure sign of spring is when she would stop & would go back to sleeping on the blanket. Now that he is older she doesn't do this anymore.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's here!!!!!

Today there were the first flower buds on the bushes in the forest, robins were searching around in the back yard and tomorrow it's going to be sunny and 60 F.

Monday could get up to 67 F!!!

Yep just in time to spring-forward to daylight saving time. (Sunday)

Seems backward, not the direction you move the clock, but you'd think we save daylight in the winter. This site says it starts Sunday and ends next fall.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Been seeing Anna's humbirds taking nest floof from our nest floof cages, so the Rufouses should be buzzing homeward soon. Lots of little birds twittering and flittering today.

Still could get a surprise hit from the Snow Fairy, but it feels like spring out there, for sure.

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
When the river thaws is the sign I care about the most. It means our team can transition from winter conditioning on the rowing machines to finally jumping into the actual boats.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
It's 12 degrees celsius outside and I am no longer freezing my arse off inside -- heating is kaput! -- so Spring seems to have definitely sprung.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
1. My allergies are back--sneezing more often isn't in itself a big sign...until my eyes start itching.
2. Sunscreen season for me starts in March and increases until mid-September. Steady increases in mid-March usually mean spring.
3. (singing "Memory (Reprise)" from "Cats") Daylight, see the dew on the sunflower...(speaking) more sunlight.

rawan

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm enjoying the increased daylight and birds singing... but I have to say I'm very impatient for spring to start already. It's only going to be 50 here today, and it's frigid in the morning! I love winter and summer pretty equally, but I always get antsy come March/September for the seasons to change :D

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
When Spring comes
in Texas
mesquites are in bloom
red ants scramble to the surface
rattlesnakes hunt for field mice
and cowboys have rodeos.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday was close to 50°, my gardenia (inside) started blooming, and I started my seeds (also inside). Naturally it was 20° when I went out this morning.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
It's 12 degrees celsius outside and I am no longer freezing my arse off inside -- heating is kaput! -- so Spring seems to have definitely sprung.
Boy, did I speak too soon!

The Beast from the East seems to have pupped mini beasts all over the UK.

Michael Myers

Take a chance. Amaze yourself.
Registered
Reaction score
In the carpenter's shop eating oysters with the wa
Website
www.dancerandspy.com
Once upon a time ,when I lived on the old family farm, the first sign of spring was the Telephone Company repair trucks in the driveway.

For me on the old family farm, it was the sound of Eastern Meadowlarks singing loud and proud on fence posts. Snow remained along the fence lines but the males were already claiming territory.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The oak tree on the pavement outside my house has just put on it's vernal petticoat. Last week - bare branches, this week - a host of new leaves. And bees. There were two of them buzzing around my potplants.

Woot!

:banana: