Trying to make it easy for readers to buy my book

kreate4

Registered
Reaction score
I want to encourage readers to buy my book on my website with their credit card. Has anyone had any experience with "Square" ?

Also, in addition to Square, do you think I should also have other ways to pay like PayPal and Venmo? (I'm still trying to figure out how Venmo works).

MANY THANKS!

kreate4

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to make it easy to buy my book on my website

I want to encourage readers to buy my book on my website with their credit card. Has anyone had any experience with "Square" ?

Also, in addition to Square, do you think I should also have other ways to pay like PayPal and Venmo? (I'm still trying to figure out how Venmo works).

MANY THANKS!

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
You can add PayPal to your payment cart . Thay can process payment by PayPal and all cards .

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I've not tried this because of the complexity of the sales tax reporting issues, not to mention other possible issues with state and local regs that need to be taken into consideration...plus helping people who don't know how to side-load onto their devices.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Most readers will not want to buy your book on your website. They'll want to buy it from a known retail site. You can make it easy to buy with very clear links to all retailers with the book.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The only people I've seen using Square are people selling stuff at craft fairs, and similar, where they don't want to haul around those standalone credit-card machines. If most of their sales are on-line, it's apparently simpler, for occasional use, to use Square.
If you're set up to take credit-cards on-line, I don't know what advantage Square would be.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I wouldn't bother. I for one would NEVER buy a book from an author's website. I'd just have links to reputable online stores. This would be a huge no for me... and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The only people I've seen using Square are people selling stuff at craft fairs, and similar, where they don't want to haul around those standalone credit-card machines. If most of their sales are on-line, it's apparently simpler, for occasional use, to use Square.
If you're set up to take credit-cards on-line, I don't know what advantage Square would be.

I've bought books at readings and book events, etc from authors with square. I think it's an awesome thing. Especially for people like me who don't believe in cash.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Too true, especially for impulse buys. But, book-readings, etc, are occasional, in-person events. I can't see any advantage over the usual on-line credit card systems.

Erato

Registered
Reaction score
Paypal is good, but really just selling through an Amazon link is often the best (people are comfortable buying from Amazon whereas for all they know, you could be a scammer.)

It's also easier and safer for you you make someone else do the selling... I briefly sold my own books through eBay and got so many chargebacks for "stolen credit card" orders that I could never make a profit.