Waldo Salt: Multiple Inquires

DKM

In an interstitial space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dkmiddle.wordpress.com
I'm deep into a screenplay rewrite. A screenwriting acquaintance has told me repeatedly that I'm putting too much direction, & not enough dialogue into my script. He's right if one looks at Robert Towne's China Town, or Koch and Epstein Brother's Casablanca. I'm all in favor of witty, good dialogue, convinced it can make or break a screenplay. I would even go as far to say that in any rewrite, the majority of the time should be spent in examining, bringing out crisp character lines.

Still, if we are to look at Waldo Salt's work: Serpico, Day of the Locus, Midnight Cowboy—all which go in the opposite direction. Salt delves into considerably more direction. I consider it his forte. My question is this: who are the other noted screenwriters today who write like Salt?

Second Part: I've read a few screenwriting books, glanced at the indexes of others—found that Salt seems either to be loved or hated by those in this industry. Some revere him, but others won't even mention him. What is it? Are these other screenwriting 'pros' jealous or envy what Salt has achieved? These 'pros' will discuss other screenwriter greats, but not Salt. Last time I checked there's an annual Waldo Salt screenwriter award, so I know I'm not alone in my admiration.

I read Midnight Cowboy years ago, picked it for a reread. I now see the depth w/ what he writes. He pushes screenplay conventions, amazed by what he accomplishes. To me he's way above other well recognized screenwriters. The American Masters video on him is excellent, honors him, but are there any detailed articles, good books out there that explore Salt's talents?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Andrew Stanton did a lot with direction and very, very little dialogue, heh.

I dunno, never read any Salt scripts, and only seen one of his movies you mention, but in a general sense, I'd say if you're trying to emulate or work off any of the people mentioned, you're going to have trouble, as they were all writing about half a century ago. Moviemaking changes. What was visionary half a century ago isn't now, in general.

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
Film is a visual medium. There's nothing wrong with having a lot of action descriptions. Usually you shoot for a 50/50 ratio of description and dialogue. But many scripts - in particular action scripts - have more description than dialogue. But if your descriptions are focusing on what the camera is doing (which is what I think of when I hear the phrase "too much direction") rather than what the actors are doing and the other things that are happening on the screen, then that can be problematic