Writing religious characters

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
I, personally, am not a religious person. Therefore, almost all my characters come from atheistic or agnostic backgrounds because I find that the easiest to write about. However, in a possible future story I'm developing, both main characters are religious. Because I want to try something different than what I'm used to, and I always like challenging myself as a writer. I want to show why the characters' religious beliefs are important to them in a subtle, non-preachy way. As it is, though, I admit I have difficulty writing from that perspective/mindset. Does anyone have any advice?

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of religious people are you thinking of? In-your-face dogmatic evangelicals? A thoughtful, monastic type? An open-ended spiritualist? The pragmatic go-to-church-to-get-along practitioner? Lots of possibilities.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of religious people are you thinking of? In-your-face dogmatic evangelicals

No, thank goodness! LOL!

I'm aiming to portray a thoughtful, open-minded spirituality. For example, the MC is Catholic. He's not as observant as he was in his younger years, but still firmly believes in God.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to influence your writing, but a fun spin might be to consider fanaticism (as a reason he is not as observant as he used to be). Crusades, inquisitions, jihads, 1990s abortion clinic bombings in the US (in the name of religion), and so forth.... These may be possible reasons the character is disenchanted or less observant.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering something along those lines! Ultimately, he will end the story very disillusioned but changed for the better. And repulsed by a cause he once admired so much.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've seen you a lot in Historical recently. So WHEN are we talking about? Religious mindsets vary across time. In general, as people grow, they can become sufficiently comfortable with themselves and with their religion to tolerate both its failings and their own. At this point, it'll look like they're less religious, but that's only because they're no longer striving so hard.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
There are a number of biographies of religious people, and autobiographies by them. Nuns who decided to leave their convent and vows for example. Since you are focussed on Roman Catholicism, those would be useful to you.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Some muddy thoughts from an agnostic/ lasped Catholic. I get pretty obsessed with faith and spirituality, but am speaking as something who may not know what he's talking about.

It can *occasionally* be a challenge for a non-religious people to write characters of faith. I think it can be hard to understand how their faith doesn't just take over everything, and how they're as capable of being reasonable. Many religious people I know bend over backwards to show how reasonable and sane they are, or try to ride herd with less religious types to either not make them uncomfortable or to prove they're not zealots. It can't be easy. And I don't think non-believers always get religious belief, there's something you just kind of feel, and it's something you can be fine with being subjective and not entirely rational.

I see plenty of characters come off as frothing fundy zealots, which I am not a fan of (but also acknowledge there are plenty IRL). Or alternately, as uber-progressives who are perfect and mild and never step on any toes or take big stances when the more worldly and rational characters are talking. Both are fine in small doses, but it becomes annoying when that's the two extremes and there's nothing in the middle. Not a groundbreaking statement, but I still think there's a problem with this.

I'm a big fan of Father Brown, who can be a little too idealized but has lots of wonderful insights on the thought process of an intelligent, well-educated believer. In his first story, Brown meets some counterfeit priests and quickly uncovers them when he sees through their flimsy God-bothering. As he scolds one of them: "You attacked reason; it's bad theology".

My two favorite religious characters both come from the Dragon Age series, and work to illustrate two differing but overall sympathetic perspectives. Cassandra, my girl, represents the sane and reasonable but also orthodox and moderately conservative believer. She can be inflexible but is also intellectually curious, and has devoted her life to the Chantry but never comes off as a zealot. She's outspoken and does not soften her views to cosset others. But she doesn't expect you to agree with her either, she's frankly rather have an argument to help her clarify her view better (I've known a number of religious people like this, love 'em). Anyways, my point is I'd roll with Cassandra any day, despite often disagreeing with her.

The other characters is Leliana, who's far more progressive but hardly pure or perfect. The devs do a good job of getting into the more mystical aspects of her faith, as well as why someone like her would find it liberating. Many of her views parallel strains of Catholicism present throughout its history, with no sign of ever subsiding. And, unlike Cassandra, she does come off as a bit of a zealot at times. Her faith make her believe she has a special responsibility to change the world, and the ends justify the means in accomplishing this. Despite being naturally persuaded by her views, I found myself uncomfortable at times. Both Cass and Leliana are meant to be positive depictions of believers, and I think the tension between their worldviews can give a lot if insight into how to approach religious characters. Also, DA is just really interesting and good about faith and religion in a fantasy setting in general, so there are plenty of other examples worth noting.

Last edited:

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
Siri: The early 1940s. My MC is in his 30s and grew up in the 1910s and 20s.

Kjbartolotta: Thank you for your insightful comments! I agree, it is annoying when religious characters are portrayed as either self-righteous zealots or mild and overly agreeable. That's a very black-and-white, overly simplistic way of depicting it.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
No, thank goodness! LOL!

I'm aiming to portray a thoughtful, open-minded spirituality. For example, the MC is Catholic. He's not as observant as he was in his younger years, but still firmly believes in God.

I just finished writing a young adult novel with a character that was deeply religious. He's a man in his 70s that my main teen characters meet and befriend while they are walking on the Camino de Santiago. What I did was show by his respect and reverence of the churches they pass and enter his strength of Catholic faith. But in the interactions themselves, I just made him lead/teach by example and live as an example. There was zero preaching and zero talk, really, of his faith. But all the characters KNEW he was deeply Catholic anyway.

I'm 100% non-religious. But I grew up Catholic...and what I get the most is RELIGION sometimes doesn't come close to GOOD PEOPLE like, say, Jesus. If you're not writing a preachy zealot, I suggest the show by example idea.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For religious people I know, religion/faith are fully integrated in their lives and worldview -- not something that's clamped on top of them. They're not preachy, not fanatics, not idealogues or retrograde dogmatics, not blind followers of Authority -- in fact, they include progressives, scientists, and sf fans, & they think as deeply & have as many opinions about their faith as about anything else that's important to them. It's just that spirituality and faith are central to their identity and have deep meaning for them in a way that I think is difficult for those of us who are utterly non-religious to understand.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Also, look into Catholic vs. Christian. Many people say they are the same, but some say they are somewhat different. I was brought up Christian. I always thought of it as a less restrictive form of the other. Maybe I am wrong.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Also, look into Catholic vs. Christian. Many people say they are the same, but some say they are somewhat different.

I assume you're not intending to say that Catholics are not Christian. Because every Catholic I've ever met would vehemently disagree and consider the idea deeply offensive.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Some people identify with one and not the other. I know I do.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Catholicism is a branch of Christianity, but it's not necessarily more restrictive. (There are some branches/denominations which are protestant and far more restrictive.) Catholic Bibles have sections to them which Protestant Bibles do not. (such as the Maccabees, I think)

I was raised Evangelical / non-denominational, and still consider myself to be such, though the way I was taught is a far cry from the Evangelical most people are familiar with. My great-grandmother came from a Catholic family, converted to Pentecostal, left the Pentecostals when she got fed up with their treatment of the women in their church, then ended up as non-denominational with a curiosity for comparative religion. She actually went on faith-treks, where she'd go to the Holy land to visit Biblical sites. (It's heartbreaking to see her photos of Damascus in light of what's happening in Syria today. Some of the images she brought home are places that have been totally destroyed.)

She was an unquestionable Christian in her beliefs, she taught in, then ran a Christian private school, yet she kept a tiny red jade Buddha on the counter and had a file cabinet filled with tracts and solicitations from other religions in the garage. It was very much a search for understanding. When I cleaned out her things, I found everything from circulars from churches to some of the original publications / mailers of Scientology, to hand-typed transcripts from a group in Florida that would listen while members "channeled" a reptilian alien in orbit above the earth.

When considering a religious person, you have to first decide if they're being more influenced by their religion or their faith, and those are not the same thing. The religion can be exceptionally structured and stifling. It's a version of "we're right, and these are the things you must do to prove it," while faith can be more accepting. Or to put it another way, faith is in God, but religion is made by men, if that makes sense.

For myself, as I said, I was raised Evangelical. I also have a scientific background with a profound desire to figure the hows and whys of things. I believe that God is pro-choice, as He gave us free will. I believe men made the cultural distinctions between male and female, not God, etc. Again, it's the difference between faith and religion.

So what's more important to your guy? The faith, or the trappings of his denomination?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
For me, I choose not to write of religion, with direct inferences to any, one religion (or trying to differentiate). As you can see, in this thread, opinions are different (based on interpretations/understandings). For me, this is a red flag issue.

Although I was raised Christian, I do not like religious fanaticism and ceremony. I believe in faith more than religion, although I am glad I went through the ceremonies of my religion.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
His faith itself, I would say.

Okay, so he might be what you call an "Easter and Christmas" Catholic, or someone who goes to the services with family on the big holidays, but doesn't observe the fish-on-Fridays or Lent-abstinence, etc. level of adherence. Tries to live a good life, but follows the "forgiveness is better than permission" philosophy.

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
Hard to add to the comments already offered. It's fiction, of course, so you might just make some stuff up, see where it goes. Id' be thinking something a little quirky, maybe an object of religious significance that he's superstitious about and stimulates thoughts about his faith.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Something to consider from that time period. The '20s were almost as areligious as this current era. People who went off to war were deeply disturbed by how they were abandoned when they got back. The roaring '20, let's party attitude came in. The result was that society at the time wasn't all that religion OR faith oriented. (I got this by researching what happened at a Presbyterian seminary during that time for the prequel to my current wip.) Following the war, people came back to churches by the droves. Thomas Merton's The Seven Story Mountain about converting to Catholicism and becoming a Trappist monk became an unexpected best seller. (That was never put on the bestseller lists...because it was religious.)

Now, that doesn't mean your character needs to follow that pattern, but that was what was going on in larger society. If your character was in the armed forces, he'd have access to chaplains. Often both Protestant and Catholic chaplains would be available. I'm not sure how services would be done for the guys on the front. Catholics do have this thing that they need to confess and be absolved to go to heaven; that poses problems for sudden violent death; I believe this problem is covered by all Catholics who ask for it getting absolved in advance before going to the front. You might want to check this detail out. If he's on the home front, he might be worried about friends or family members dying violently for this reason.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Okay, 1940s in Europe: we know that nuns housed downed airmen etc. in their hospitals; they hid Jews in their convents and hospitals. A Catholic guy slacking in religious practice because of what members of what his own religion had done wouldn't likely be a thing in that era. (Unless he had a really awful priest.) Lutherans were more likely to be the Jew killers. You might want to read The Nun's Story by Kathryn Hulme. It's fiction and some of the pre-WWII scenes are off, but it gives a good view of what some nuns were doing and how they lived and how Catholics thought.

Catholics have a big thing about charity. This would be part of his mindset.

I'd recommend seeing if you can talk to a Catholic priest or just a few Catholic people about how Catholics think. There are quite a few on this board. Different people of different religions and different Christian denominations think and act differently.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
The most important thing to remember when writing a character of a different religion from you is that everyone is religious. Even atheists. Don't flip out at that claim--I'll explain what I mean. Faith, in its most basic sense, is belief in propositions about the fundamental nature of reality that can be neither proven nor disproven. EVERYONE has a set of such beliefs. Those beliefs may not ever be consciously defined, but everyone believes certain things to be true about the universe, about purpose, about morality--things that can't prove definitively, and that others can't disprove definitively. That's a religion. Those beliefs will be very different for an atheist than they would be for a Muslim or an evangelical Christian or an orthodox Jew--but the thing all of those people would have in common is that those foundational beliefs are, from their perspective, rational, reasonable, and internally consistent.

In other words, religious people are not crazies trying to act sane. They are people just like you, who happen to have a different set of (neither provable nor unprovable) beliefs about what the foundations of the universe consist of. To write them well, start from that presumption--rational and reasonable. And try to think through how the different beliefs they hold would influence their actions differently. A Christian, for example, believes that all people are sinful, that Jesus Christ is the son of God, that He came to earth to save people from their sins. That while violence may sometimes be necessary, vengeance is off-limits. That they are to forgive as they themselves have been forgiven. So in a story with elements of revenge (for example), a reasonable, rational person who is a Christian will have a whole different set of issues to struggle with than an atheist. But they will think through those issues using the same forms of reason and logic that anyone else does--just applying a different set of presumptions about what is true.

Apologize for the abstractness; hope that's helpful.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The most important thing to remember when writing a character of a different religion from you is that everyone is religious. Even atheists. Don't flip out at that claim--I'll explain what I mean. Faith, in its most basic sense, is belief in propositions about the fundamental nature of reality that can be neither proven nor disproven. EVERYONE has a set of such beliefs. Those beliefs may not ever be consciously defined, but everyone believes certain things to be true about the universe, about purpose, about morality--things that can't prove definitively, and that others can't disprove definitively. That's a religion. Those beliefs will be very different for an atheist than they would be for a Muslim or an evangelical Christian or an orthodox Jew--but the thing all of those people would have in common is that those foundational beliefs are, from their perspective, rational, reasonable, and internally consistent.

In other words, religious people are not crazies trying to act sane. They are people just like you, who happen to have a different set of (neither provable nor unprovable) beliefs about what the foundations of the universe consist of. To write them well, start from that presumption--rational and reasonable. And try to think through how the different beliefs they hold would influence their actions differently. A Christian, for example, believes that all people are sinful, that Jesus Christ is the son of God, that He came to earth to save people from their sins. That while violence may sometimes be necessary, vengeance is off-limits. That they are to forgive as they themselves have been forgiven. So in a story with elements of revenge (for example), a reasonable, rational person who is a Christian will have a whole different set of issues to struggle with than an atheist. But they will think through those issues using the same forms of reason and logic that anyone else does--just applying a different set of presumptions about what is true.

Apologize for the abstractness; hope that's helpful.

Set of beliefs does not religious make. I am not religious. PERIOD. Not 'flipping out'...just telling you you're wrong.