March Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. It's March already!

So, hello and welcome! This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision or editing.)

The basic idea is that repeating something daily, even in small amounts, will build a habit that becomes stronger over time. You can read more in this blog post I wrote.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Some of us like to keep up with how the others are doing and send some encouraging words, but if you just want to check in, that's fine!

Here are some tips:

• Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. Habits build over time, so look at your current writing habit and set a goal to increase it a little bit, in word count, time, and/or frequency. (For example, I did a lot better with a small daily goal than with a big, looming, monthly one).
  • Write (or revise/edit) every day – even if it's just a few sentences. It reinforces the habit.
  • Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else. For example, some people find it works best with a set time. Others – like me – prefer a conditional habit.
  • Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. Get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for whatever problem comes up next.
  • Don't give up because you didn't hit your goal – When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar - doing something is better than doing nothing). If you share your stumbles in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And sometimes, it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or even have scheduled days "off". Whatever works for you!

Good luck, and see you on the 1st of March!

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I'm in, but I'm going to revise my goal for March. My goal for February was to edit at least 10 hours per week, but I kept falling short...and feeling pressured. For this month, I'm not going to attach a time goal. I just plan to work on my edits at least 5 days per week, and I'll see where that takes me.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Goals for me mostly same as usual - handled Life and writing by doing 3 actions each day:

Add words to a WIP
Do something to increase my income
Do one action of responsibility or self-care

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
I am in. I have a major case of writer's block at the moment, so my goal is simply to show up at my desk every day with a positive attitude. I've got a list of things I can be getting on with to improve craft, and a ton of books to read. Hopefully my blockage will unclog by the end of the month.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Of course I will be here, unless by some miracle my book is done by thursday.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Hello again everyone! I'm back for more punishment (I mean writing.) The entire month of February has been an abyss of health hell and I'm finally crawling my way back towards the light. I'm hoping to actually start drafting in March and, barring another sickness apocalypse, if not, I'll at least get my outline revised.

KitKate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna try and up my word count a day from 500 to 700. Got a Shiny New Idea that I'm digging at the mo so I'll use March to concentrate on that project and push myself a little further.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
:e2coffee:

Here we are again. Although I accomplished exactly nothing in February, I’m going to keep to the same goal. I say it’s 500 words a day but it’s really just to do something. Write 500 new words, get 500 words transferred from my notebook into the novel manuscript, tinker with a short story - something every day.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
My goal for March is to resume progress on my fantasy novel, which is 3/4 finished. Several incidents and unexpected writing opportunities I couldn't resist (which resulted in lots of stress) stalled me, and now I'm determined to get that darned draft finished, because it'll never be a great novel until I can edit the crap out of it.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1
I did a small bit of editing, which I'll count as a win as I'm still feeling poorly from the flu. The fever hasn't even completely passed yet. It's going to be a while until I'm fully recovered but at least I'm getting a little better each day.

When I've got a little more energy, I'll set up a more solid goal for March, but right now it's just to do anything writing-related every day, however short.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Magnus! congrats on getting some work in today, despite being under the weather.

Got in a very small amount in the handwritten and the new project. Hacked a bit at my online quiz implementation, spoke to my outgoing housemate about some business.

3/3

I seen my modest flow slow down to a trickle these last few days, and I attribute it to anxiety caused by having to find a housemate. I resolve to be satisfied with *anything* this month.

BTW (this is an announcement)
So, with no fanfare at all, on the First of February, 2018 the Write Something Everyday challenge turned 6 months old! :partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::hooray::hooray::banana::Jump::kiss::Trophy:

do you think I overdid it with the smileys? I only meant to put one Party Guy in there but then a bunch extra got in so I ran with that

Wow. We are like the energizer bunny, yall. We just keep going, & going…

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished ~750 words today. That'll do, and it's not bad being as I'm up to my neck in snow.

Layla - flow is flow.

Keep on swimming!

KitKate

Registered
Reaction score
Magnus: I think that's a good target considering how ill you've been. You don't want to push yourself.
Layla: A small amount is still something. :)
Keithy: Well done on 750 words!

Day One: 756 words.

Day Two: 808 words.

Just 2000 more words to go before I hit the first 5k on the Shiny New Idea.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning March marauders. :e2coffee:

I got off to a pretty good start. I worked for an hour yesterday evening, sharpening up an excerpt for this month’s challenge in the Historical Writing area of SYW. (I haven’t posted it yet - I want to look at it once more.) No word count - I probably took away more words than I added - but no matter. An hour working on a piece of the novel absolutely meets my daily goal. And it was enjoyable; it’s a scene I like, and I think I made it voicier - as I revise, I am starting to see the voices of my two POV characters diverging, and that is very pleasing.

Magnus: I’m so glad you’re on the mend. Your present goal is entirely appropriate to the circumstances, I think..

Layla Nahar: Looks like a very good day. I like your plan to be satisfied with what you can accomplish in a month with unusual external stressors. I will give you advice that I am poor at taking myself (and that you have almost certainly given me): Be compassionate with yourself. I’m trying to look back at February and see all the things I did do - the things that kept me from writing - rather than all the things I didn’t do.

Keithy: Nice work, Keithy. I love working in snow. I set up in a window so I can watch it. The climate-changed earth has been light on New England this year, though, and there hasn’t been much of it; only one really significant snowfall. I understand that calculus is a bit different in Ireland.

KitKate: You are off to a roaring start. Glad to hear that Shiny New Idea is carrying you along.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Magnus: Glad you're gradually getting better, and got some writing work done too. Hope things continue to improve for you!

Layla: Great that you started the month 3 for 3. Holy cow, I didn't even realize we've been doing this for 6 months now! I'm hoping to be done in another 6 months...now that would make a great anniversary gift!

KitKate: Wow, you are making some progress on the new shiny. Always great when an idea grabs you like that!

Keithy: 750 words is awesome! Have fun shoveling out.

Lakey: The best part of that hour of yours was that you were really enjoying working on your novel. Nice way to start the month!

For the first day of the month, I got an hour of editing done. I'll take it.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I only got a full page done before work but it's progress! Several hundred words.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I managed 364 words before calling it quits for the day. Hopefully tomorrow will see further progress.

Oh, KitKate, I really like Shiny New Ideas. Keep those words coming!

Taylor Harbin, progress is progress.

Everyone else (you know what's coming) - keep on swimming!!!

peartree

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!! My life is chugging along. I'm mostly better from the flu, although I still have the cough and lung crud and probably will for another two weeks if my doctor was right about the "cough lasting 5 weeks" thing :(

My goals for this month are to work at least 3 days a week, write every day, and focus on my children's books since I'm around so many kids at work, it's a golden opportunity to observe them and their language and abilities relative to their ages.

I haven't written anything yesterday (work, class, meeting my sister) or today (work, paying bills, running errands), but I'm hoping Sunday will be a big writing day, so fingers crossed! I'm popping open the kid's story I'm working on right now to see if I can get some "Friday" work in lol

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'd like to join in. I lurked along in February, with the goal being to add some words, any amount, to my MIP every day without beating myself up about the numbers. I ended up having my most productive month ever and I think there were 3 days where I didn't write at all.

Goal for March is the same, write every day. If I stay at the same pace it's *possible* this draft will be complete, or close to complete, by the end of the month.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Taylor: One page closer! Yay!

Keithy: Nice work on the 364 words. Keep it up!

peartree: Glad the flu has almost gone. Nasty bug. My husband has it now too. Ugh. Hope you have a really productive day on Sunday!

ap123: Welcome aboard! Sounds like you had a really good writing month in February. Nice work!

I got nothing done yesterday. No excuse really. I could make one up, but instead I think I'll just get my rear in gear and try to get some editing done today.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning friends. :e2coffee:

Yesterday evening I spent another hour or so tinkering with the novel excerpt, which this morning I posted in the Historical section of SYW. I consider that another successful day of progress on the novel.

At the moment I am on a long train ride, which tends to be good for my writing. I think I’ll try to write about a couple of books for Goodreads, and then see where I am, both mentally and along the ride.

Taylor Harbin: Nice work. I love to write in the morning before work. Unfortunately I have to exercise in the morning before work or I won’t do it at all, and I can’t do both. One thing I’m struggling with right now, is disciplining myself to both exercise in the morning and write in the evening. Weekdays suck, basically.

Keithy: Nice work for the day!

peartree : Hang in there with the lingering crud, and let yourself get the rest you need.

ap123: So glad you had such a productive February. Even more glad you have delurked for March. Good luck and good skill with that draft.

D.L. Shepherd: No excuses needed. I think I talked about “tis button” on last month’s thread - the second best time is now. Go forth and edit! And you’re right - enjoying the work on my novel is even more significant than having done the work in the first place.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
DL an hour is a respectable chunk of time to be working :)

Taylor, congrats on that page

Kiethy way to go with the 364 words oh and - the water is fine!

Peartree, good to see you, glad youre feeling better, and welcome ap123

DL - hope you took it easy & enjoyed it :D

Lakey - What if you wrote on your lunch break? I manage to get 30 minutes in a coffee shop (~15 mins for the trip there and back, ~10 to get my drink & in the remaining ~`15-20 mins I can manage a half a page

Internet trouble yesterday, so reporting 2nd & 3rd today

Day 2: some handwritten work in the morning, a little on the new project in the evening
Called to make a doctors appointment
exchanged contact info with a self-employed marketer - she's also part of a free-lancer's organization & she'll add me to their events list; drafted a handbill advert for my apartment, maybe it will help…

Day 3: Some handwritten work in the morning, & a very small addition to the new project. Finally got the quiz working! (found a bug using the console tools! winning!) Put up a new curtain hanging system (so now I have curtains on that window again. Small action, big self-care :) )

3/3 for both days :)

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Only 256 words today. But still progress.

Too much shoveling snow, I'm aching all over.

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
I totally need this. I'm planning on having my first 25k word of WiP book by the 31st. It's not a terribly difficult goal for me, except with school and trying to keep my querying up for my previous book, I'm finding myself significantly less prepared each writing session compared to days past.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Lakey: That's wonderful that you can get work done when you're on the train. Probably makes the ride a lot more enjoyable!

Layla: Sounds like you had a really productive 2 days...yay about getting the quiz to work!

Keithy: Yuck. How much snow did you get? Great that you were able to keep up the writing through all of it.

xenylic: Hope this thread helps you! It has helped me a lot by having to stay accountable.

I managed an hour and a half of editing yesterday. I wish I had gotten more done, and probably could have made the time, but at least I worked on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.