World War II fiction recommendations

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer more serious, literary works; but I admit I'll devour pretty much anything related to the second World War, the European theater specifically. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know! Before anyone suggests The Nightingale and/or All The Light We Cannot See, those are already on my TBR list. ;)

Some books in this period I love: City of Women, by David Gillham, Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein, and Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
If I had to choose, I admit I liked Rose Under Fire better, but Code Name Verity was very good as well! It's been a long time since I've read either book, I'll have to give them a reread sometime...

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson.

This and Code Name Verity are among by two favorite books on any subject, ever.

Allow me to add Joseph Heller's Catch-22.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I'm a bit more into the action/adventure books when it comes to WWII. Where Eagles Dare was a fun read off the top of my head.

Most of my reading in WWII has been on the non-fiction side and I highly recommend The Rising Sun (2-volumes) which tells WWII from the Japanese POV, and if you like intel, A Game of Foxes and Marching Orders cover the European theater.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The Caine Mutiny, The Winds of War and its sequel, War and Remembrance, by Herman Wouk. Three of the best books I've ever read. Wouk is a master storyteller/writer.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Safe Passage by Ida Cook about getting Jews out of Germany. Caveat: She writes at least as much about opera during the period (which is how she got into rescue work) as she does about the Holocaust.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Fantomas

Registered
Reaction score
The Thousand Hour Day is a massive tome about the German invasion of Poland, which is a campaign that routinely is overlooked.