author who has received rights to books back from publisher because of contract breach

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
Recently, I had a rather disturbing interaction (or lack of interaction) with a publisher I've worked with for several years, who simply stopped paying and communicating with me, and some other authors. We have six published books together. Although I have not yet been paid or provided with recent royalty information, he has returned the book rights to me. He told me that I would need to purchase the covers if I want to use them in the future. (He will deduct the cost of the covers from what royalties he pays me in the future.) I do not think I want to go that route as we are not on good terms and I have an extreme lack of faith in him, otherwise I wouldn't have had a problem in the first place.

And now I have a new dilemma: what do I do with these books? Self-Publishing seems like a strong possibility, and I have done it once before on Amazon. Do you think this is the best way to go, or would you recommend that I reach out to a publisher? I write LGBTQ YA and Adult romance and have quite a few reviews on Amazon that I don't want to lose. And if I do this, do you think Amazon is the best route or do you have any other EASY suggestions for self-publishing? I'm not particularly talented, in a technical-computer sense. Also, any recommendations of great places to get covers?

I will continue to look through this forum and try to answer these questions, but I thought a direct question may get some direct answers.

Thanks so much.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I don't really think deciding what to do with your reverted titles is a question we can answer for you--it's something you have to decide. Since you've self-published before, you're aware of the work that goes into it. Are you willing to put the necessary work into republishing your titles (and doing as professional a job as possible at it?) And have you researched publishers who publish books similar to yours? If you feel they're trustworthy (because you've already been burned once) do they even accept books to republish? How are their sales? Have a look at their books via "look inside" online--do you want your books in their company?

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's actually kind of exciting, starting out on a new path.

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
I've always depended on publishers and had good luck with them until now. But what happened with my publisher, who I also thought as a friend, was really hard for me. I wonder if there is a "GOLDEN" experience of self-publishing that some of you have used that you recommend. On Amazon, my only book with under 15 reviews is my single self-published book. Maybe I didn't go about it right. Marissa, you offered some good criteria on which I can base my decision. Thanks for that. I have a publisher in mind that accepts books for republishing. I will check out their other books on Amazon for sales and format before I make a move. But I'd love some suggestions for self-pub.

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Not actually quite sure what you mean by suggestions for self-publishing...do you mean other sales venues? Beyond Amazon there's Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Apple iBookstore...and if you work through an aggregator like Smashwords or Draft2Digital, they can get your books into other smaller and overseas ebook vendors. Is that what you were looking for?

As for covers, have a look at selfpubbookcovers.com--huge selection that you have to sift through, but there are diamonds among the dreck.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
The problem with a lot of small publishers is they can't do anything that you couldn't do yourself. They publish books through CreateSpace or similar POD companies. They don't have access to great cover designers. They don't have distribution to book shops. They don't have any experience at being a publisher. In return for giving you nothing that you couldn't do yourself, you have the uncertainty of whether the publisher will pay you and not melt down in a puddle of drama within a few years.

The difficult choice would be if you had a chance with a bigger publisher, who'd be able to pay a decent advance, get you into book shops, and all the rest. But if the choice is another publisher just like the one you left, you're not going to get much from it.

As for how to self-publish, there are a lot of threads here discussing what people have done. It'll take some time to work through it, but it's worth it to give the books the best chance.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
First off, let me say sorry for your experience. Boy can I relate. Before going indie I had been with many publishers from the big five (six at the time) to medium-sized presses to small presses. Sadly with the smaller presses all of my experiences turned out to be either horrible or unsatisfying. I agree with Polenth. I see no need in going with a publisher who can't do more for you than you can do for yourself and unfortunately most small presses don't have the resources to do anything other than stick your book on retailers. Not to mention many small presses don't promote or if they do it's a tweet or one FB post (maybe) on release day. Anything beyond that for promotions will be solely up to you.

For your adult romance, I would go indie since you've done it before. Romance is one of the best genres to self-publish unless you want to try a big publisher. As I said, I wouldn't go with a small press. As for easy way to self-publish, I don't understand exactly what you mean by easy? I've been indie since 2015 and it's so easy for me now I can publish a book in my sleep. The actual uploading to sites isn't difficult. It's the marketing plan that might be the biggest issue. You are gonna have to have some type of plan to get your books noticed, but as I said before, that's no different than if you were with a publisher.

For YA, I don't know if self-publishing is the best decision for that genre. From what I've heard YA is still dominated by publishers. I could be wrong and I know some YA authors self-publish, but I keep hearing authors say that it's still a genre where it is best to get a deal with a decent publisher if possible.

Sorry for your experience with the publisher. It brought back memories for me. After having such horrible experiences with publishers I went indie and don't intend on looking back. At the end of the day, it's all about your goals and expectations. :)

Last edited:

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I actually kinda wonder if MM romance might be one place where going with a small (or smaller) publisher could be a good decision, if they're established in that niche. Readers will know to look for their books, which gives you some more visibility than self-publishing would. Thoughts?

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I actually kinda wonder if MM romance might be one place where going with a small (or smaller) publisher could be a good decision, if they're established in that niche. Readers will know to look for their books, which gives you some more visibility than self-publishing would. Thoughts?

It depends on the authors' goals but there are tons of self-published authors killing it in M/M and have been for the last few years. Also, many small presses that took M/M have closed. Of course, it could definitely work if you can find a publisher that does well in that genre but a lot of the M/M authors I see now are self-publishing and doing very, very well. I don't think readers these days care who published a book or even notice. Many readers will just buy a book they wanna read and don't even know if it's self-published or not. They don't pay attention to that. I know I certainly don't when I'm checking out books. I could care less as long as it looks like a decent book and I am interested in reading it. Also, self-published books are more lenient with pricing so that's another plus to self-publishing.

If you have a marketing plan (which you will need even with a publisher) and know your goals you can kill it in self-publishing with M/M. Many, many authors are doing it including authors who used to be with publishers. Also, some M/M writers are hybrids as well.

These days, visibility is HARD especially on Amazon no matter how you publish. Because of this, many SP books are in Select which means they benefit from the extra visibility of Kindle Unlimited, which is another thing that makes it much harder for a small press to compete. This is the main reason why many small presses have closed in the last five years, not being able to compete with KU and pricing. At least, that's what the presses have claimed.

A publisher is no guarantee of extra visibility unless you're gonna get a huge promo boost and I doubt that will happen with a small e-press. You can read the proof of this right here on AW from several authors over the years who signed with small presses (even some touted as some of the best) and the author got no promotional support or it was minimal and they had to do everything themselves anyway. If an author even wants a shot at selling his or her book they will have to get out there and "pound the pavement" themselves. They are gonna have to do the bulk if not all of the promotion with a publisher or not.

A small press won't do anything promotional you can't do for yourself such as blog tours, social media, giveaways, etc. And, the truth is most won't do any of that. Not even the bare minimum.You can set those up yourself or hire a promo company to do all that for you for a good price. In fact, you have access to more promo opportunities when you self-publish. You can promote in a lot of creative ways that you can't with a publisher because you don't have the rights to do a lot of things SP authors can do in promotion. For example, self-published authors can run pre-order discounts, do freebies, specific cross promotion opportunities, permafree for a series, put books on Instafreebie for promotion, all types of things that an author would need their publisher's permission to do and not sure the publisher would allow it. Also, you can do Bookbub and it seems like only the big presses are submitting to Bookbub for their authors. A Bookbub can work wonders for a book if you're accepted but the average small press isn't able to put money out for this type of promotion or willing to most likely.

Another thing is pricing. A big complaint from e-press authors is that the books are so high compared to the SP books. This was a problem I had with small e-presses when I was with them. I understand they wanna make money off books but it's hard as heck to sell an ebook for 6 dollars and up when everything else is selling for 3 dollars or less or is free in KU for 10 dollars a month.

When making these decisions, it always comes down to the author's goals but they have to know the market and have realistic expectations too. There are many authors (SP or not) who are not selling and it has nothing to do with how they published. Visibility is the key and no one can guarantee that but if you research and learn how to promote effectively (not meaning spending tons of money, just learn techniques that work for you and your genre) then you can do well self-publishing especially romance. Not saying everyone will be rich (which is the same in trade publishing) but you can build your brand and do well in self-publishing if you are organized.

It's good if authors on the fence about how to publish check out all the retailers and see how their genres do on the charts, not just Amazon. Amazon is a huge part of the industry but the world does not end and begin with Amazon. The other retailers are just as important in the long run but some genres do better on certain retailers I've seen. For example, if you are interested in Kindle Unlimited, it's the trendy stuff that follow tropes strictly that work best in the program.

Last edited:

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
That's what I was suggesting--finding one of the publishers specializing in LGBTQ+ romance like Dreamspinner Press, which seems to be doing very well for itself and aggressively markets worldwide with translations. It's harder for a self-publisher to get that kind of reach. Their covers could be better production value-wise though.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with cool pop. There are tons of authors doing very well self-publishing M/M right now. It's like what Polenth said earlier, you can do what most small publishers can do... + more if you're willing to take the time and dedication for it. Plus a lot of M/M publishers have either closed or gone downhill over the last couple years. Not to mention, the majority of small publishers hardly take the time to advertise anymore, unless it's from a top author.

However, to the OP, it always depends on what you want to do. Self-publishing takes time and commitment to everything: editing, cover art, marketing, planning, etc. Oh, and writing more. More, more, more, a hell of a lot more than what a publisher wants. Despite all that, a lot of people are turning to self-publishing because they can, and have the commitment. It really isn't that difficult if you just want to write and publish, write and publish, but for a lot of people it's how they pay the bills.

Last edited:

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I was trade published, lost the deal, and now I'm self-publishing. I didn't really sell when I was trade published, so I can't say how to be successful, but I can say the experience of indie publishing has been AMAZING compared to the experience of being trade published. It might just be how I am as a person, but the traditional publishing process made me feel very out of control and caused tons of anxiety even aside from the deeper issues that went on (that I'd rather not get into). Even if the experience had gone perfectly, I still much prefer self-publishing. It seems difficult to get attention, but the promotional stuff the publishing company did for me didn't seem to get me any sales, either.

The difference with self-pub is I'm a newbie at the beginning of a long journey, and the power is in MY hands. I can experiment with any form of promotion I want, when I want, and how I want. For me, that's worth self-pub no matter what the results are, but everyone is different.

I did most everything myself, but that was due to a lack of funds. For me, it came down to cover vs ensuring the book was professionally edited, and I chose the editor and made my own cover. It might not be the best ever but I'm happy with it. I had a professional cover design with my trade book and I prefer the one I did myself, honestly. NOt that it was TERRIBLE, it just wasn't what I would've chosen, and I like creative control. I didn't read the other replies, but other people have probably suggested places like Fiverr to look for cover artists for cheap.

Another thing I like about self-pub is it's YOUR career. You're not contracted into anything. With my other book deal, I was expected to begin writing a sequel the second I finished the first book. I get that's the wise thing to do in most cases, because it helps to publish books regularly, but I do a lot of different forms of art, and if I want to say, take a year off writing to focus on my Youtube channel or some other creative project, I want the freedom to do that. Sometimes life gets in the way and being bound by contract was something that freaked me out.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I was trade published, lost the deal, and now I'm self-publishing. I didn't really sell when I was trade published, so I can't say how to be successful, but I can say the experience of indie publishing has been AMAZING compared to the experience of being trade published. It might just be how I am as a person, but the traditional publishing process made me feel very out of control and caused tons of anxiety even aside from the deeper issues that went on (that I'd rather not get into). Even if the experience had gone perfectly, I still much prefer self-publishing. It seems difficult to get attention, but the promotional stuff the publishing company did for me didn't seem to get me any sales, either.

The difference with self-pub is I'm a newbie at the beginning of a long journey, and the power is in MY hands. I can experiment with any form of promotion I want, when I want, and how I want. For me, that's worth self-pub no matter what the results are, but everyone is different.

I did most everything myself, but that was due to a lack of funds. For me, it came down to cover vs ensuring the book was professionally edited, and I chose the editor and made my own cover. It might not be the best ever but I'm happy with it. I had a professional cover design with my trade book and I prefer the one I did myself, honestly. NOt that it was TERRIBLE, it just wasn't what I would've chosen, and I like creative control. I didn't read the other replies, but other people have probably suggested places like Fiverr to look for cover artists for cheap.

Another thing I like about self-pub is it's YOUR career. You're not contracted into anything. With my other book deal, I was expected to begin writing a sequel the second I finished the first book. I get that's the wise thing to do in most cases, because it helps to publish books regularly, but I do a lot of different forms of art, and if I want to say, take a year off writing to focus on my Youtube channel or some other creative project, I want the freedom to do that. Sometimes life gets in the way and being bound by contract was something that freaked me out.

This is very interesting, and you have risen some great points. Who do you self publish through?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just as an FYI (although it doesn't sound like you're considering this), buying your covers from this publisher sounds like a bad idea. The publisher may not have the legal right to sell the cover artist's work.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
This is very interesting, and you have risen some great points. Who do you self publish through?

I'm just getting started, but this time, I'm doing Amazon (KU). I'm doing an ebook and print, but I've heard print is generally better through other companies, so next time, I might go wide instead. Since I write shorter novellas, I'm not sure how KU will do me for page reads/$$, but I figured I'd give it a go and remove it after the term if it doesn't do well. Official release date is this Thursday, so we'll see how it goes!

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just getting started, but this time, I'm doing Amazon (KU). I'm doing an ebook and print, but I've heard print is generally better through other companies, so next time, I might go wide instead. Since I write shorter novellas, I'm not sure how KU will do me for page reads/$$, but I figured I'd give it a go and remove it after the term if it doesn't do well. Official release date is this Thursday, so we'll see how it goes!

Thank for answering my question. Good luck!

BonafideDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
You can self publish, but hire a book publicist with proven marketing skills. That way you completely own your book, but still have the benefits of a marketing team.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can self publish, but hire a book publicist with proven marketing skills. That way you completely own your book, but still have the benefits of a marketing team.

I am interested in knowing if you've done this yourself, and if the cost of hiring said publicist was offset by an increased in sales.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, I had a rather disturbing interaction (or lack of interaction) with a publisher I've worked with for several years, who simply stopped paying and communicating with me, and some other authors. We have six published books together. Although I have not yet been paid or provided with recent royalty information, he has returned the book rights to me. He told me that I would need to purchase the covers if I want to use them in the future. (He will deduct the cost of the covers from what royalties he pays me in the future.)

Just as an FYI (although it doesn't sound like you're considering this), buying your covers from this publisher sounds like a bad idea. The publisher may not have the legal right to sell the cover artist's work.

Mrsmig is right to be concerned. In my experience, small publishers don't usually buy the rights to those jacket designs outright, and if the author wants to use them they absolutely must check with the artist who created the illustration AND the designer who then created the jacket using that illustration.

Publicists do publicity. Marketing people market.

I am interested in knowing if you've done this yourself, and if the cost of hiring said publicist was offset by an increased in sales.

The difficulty lies in working out how many sales the publicist (or marketing professional) was responsible for in order to make those calculations.

It's so hard to quantify how effective a good publicist is.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Great places to get covers? I'd recommend looking into pre-made covers. Much cheaper than getting custom work, and pretty darned effective for a re-release, especially if you weren't attached to the first covers that much.

There's a bunch of artists who do pre-made covers who hang out at kboards.com. Check out the writer's café, or ask for recommendations in the genre for your books.

Or you could google for premade book covers, and hunt around. $50-$100 is a good starting range. Just make sure they sign over the rights to the cover along with the image, after they slap your title and name on the cover art.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or you could google for premade book covers, and hunt around. $50-$100 is a good starting range. Just make sure they sign over the rights to the cover along with the image, after they slap your title and name on the cover art.

This ^^^ .

Many of the places I've seen sell a cover image and then pull it. Generally, they'll leave it up as a sample so other potential customers can see what they've done so verify in the ToS this happens.

BonafideDreamer

Registered
Reaction score

Unfortunately I have never done this, I have yet to publish a book.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have never done this, I have yet to publish a book.

Thank you. I asked because hiring a publicist - a good one - is prohibitively expensive for many self-publishers.