New Post Button Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I apologise if I have missed posts on this topic. I looked, but could not find any.

When using the site, I usually click on the “New Posts” button, but that is presently giving me 16 pages worth of results, where recently there were regularly no more than 4 or 5 pages with which to contend. I am on AW every day.

Is this new behaviour, or am I doing something wrong? I have cleared cookies from Firefox and rebooted my laptop, but there’s no change.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's been doing it since the refit -- it shows a lot of pages but if you go through it does show you where you left off. I use 'New Posts' primarily too and whether there are five or ten or whatever pages, at page two or three or five you'll see a bolded 'the threads below have ... whatever it says exactly, it's like not changed or no new posts since you last visited.' That's where the old New Posts would've cut off. It's just keeping the older threads in the results queue even though you already looked at them.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
It's been doing it since the refit -- it shows a lot of pages but if you go through it does show you where you left off. I use 'New Posts' primarily too and whether there are five or ten or whatever pages, at page two or three or five you'll see a bolded 'the threads below have ... whatever it says exactly, it's like not changed or no new posts since you last visited.' That's where the old New Posts would've cut off. It's just keeping the older threads in the results queue even though you already looked at them.

Okay, as long as it's just not me. I was curious because, as I mentioned, it recently went up from 4 or 5 pages to 17.

Thanks.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
New Posts currently shows you every thread you haven't read (or marked as read). Threads that you do read disappear from the New Posts (and Subscribed Threads) pages. This is different from before, where it would show all the threads since you last signed on, whether you read them or not.

There also was a recent server glitch that reset several days' worth of threads to unread, so a bunch that you might have cleared out reappeared as unread.

ETA: I've been filtering the pages down by going into forums I don't often read (like Writing Exercises), clicking on "Forum Tools" and telling it to Mark the Forum Read. If it's one where I read some threads (like ACE&H), I check to see if any interest me, read them, then mark the rest read.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.