Ice Cream cake book cover

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
I am working on a new book of Ice Cream cake recipes.

At this stage, I don't have the cover ready. I am just selecting an image. It's hard to find good stock food images as the ones I take myself always turn out awful.

Do any of these look like Ice Cream cakes? I am bit concerned that someone might confuse them for just regular cakes and cookies.

(Click images to make bigger)

Photo A:

Photo B:

Photo C:

Photo D:

(And of course, I will include a recipe in the book for the image I select).

Thanks for any help!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only one that's clearly ice cream to me is Photo C--but it's not an ice cream cake but a sandwich. The others all could be (and no doubt are) made with ice cream(s), but they don't look like it clearly at a glance, which may be all your potential reader gives your cover.

(And yes, I'd happily eat any of them!)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I agree about C and that it isn't a cake but a sandwich. However if your book is about "Ice Cream Desserts" then you have no problem :) . For an Ice Cream Cake though . . . maybe something more like this?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I\m stuck on 'but none of these are ice cream cakes.' I mean the marshmallow-topped may be but I don't think it's identifiable as that just from the pic.

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
@cornflake @Toothpaste @Maryn Thanks for the feedback!

Hmm... Maybe I should just change the title to Ice Cream Desserts. I guess I should probably go for Photo B, as it looks a bit more involved than the other ones. But does it look yummy enough?

Thanks for any feedback!

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I would not do B.

If I look at a blown-up version, it looks like a baked sponge cake-type, not short, crust and something resembling chocolate souffle (definitely baked by the edge), with torched marshmallows on top. I'm assuming it's actually some type of shortcutty Alaska deal, based on that you're saying it's ice cream, but I'm looking for ice cream and can't see it.

If I glanced at it on a table, I'd think what I'd assume a decent proportion of Americans would: it's a version of yams with marshmallows on top.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
If these are your only options, and you're doing 'desserts' I'd go A, because see above B, D looks like a ubiquitous, branded thing everyone has had a bajillion times that's deeply uninspiring, C looks just like 'and you can also slap mint chip in!' and the cookies look very unappealing (they look like Entemann's or something).

A at least has some variety, in colour, in two types of ice cream and in a slightly different, better-looking cookie.

However, I'd look for a better pic, though I guess it depends on your market. Honestly, ice cream sandwiches would not make me even pick up a cookbook to look inside because I'd think it's not one with actual recipes in it, just basic stuff and assembly instructions, you know? If I want an ice cream dessert book, I want something really interesting made with ice cream, interesting ice cream recipes themselves, etc. But your audience may be the more assembling type, so in that case, A?

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
@cornflake, @Marissa D, @Lauram6123

Thanks for your feedback. It's really useful as it confirms some of things I was worrying about.

I don’t want to give the impression that these are just "assembly desserts", as I think most of my target audience would pass the book over.

I did find these other images, but I wasn't sure about them as they don’t really say "Ice Cream". Any thoughts on them? Thanks!

(Click to make bigger)

Photo E

Photo F

Photo G

Photo H

Photo I

Photo J

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Personally (and again, you know your audience and I'm just one flake here so salt to taste -- I've always loved to cook and am picky about cookbooks; I don't collect lots. I want something with stuff I don't already have/know how to make (I don't need a cookbook to make basic ice creams and cookies and stick them together, you know?), stuff that's interesting, little different, but not ridiculous (every recipe takes two days of prep and requires specific rosewater sourced from outer Mongolia -- sometimes that's fun but mostly I want a middle ground between 'duh' and 'devote literally five hours to a single cake today before frosting it').)

Anyway, A doesn't look ice cream at a glance. I get it is but just looking could be mousse, chilled creme pat with fruit, six other things.

Everything else just looks like Alaskas, save J which looks like some kind of floating island/Alaska hybrid. B and I do nothing for me, it's just 'look, an Alaska, and I looks really retro with the tablecloth and neither are done well -- they look like the meringue was applied with a freaking fork by a child. The other two aren't holding together well, which would turn me off.

Hence, if these are the options, J -- I'd at least look to see what it is, because it does look like some kind of hybrid, it's pretty, interesting looking, could be ice cream... I like that it's a cleaner photo too, personally, just the white background and plate.

It turns out I have many opinions on this topic. :D

Last edited:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Honestly none of those photos except maybe E makes my mouth water. There's something about the "burnt" top (which I know tastes delicious) that turns me off. The problem is E just looks like a normal cake, not an ice cream cake.

I'd keep looking. The cover needs to really make people go, "ooh! I want to eat that!"

(that being said I might be alone on this one, so obviously make sure you get opinions from a bunch of people)

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I'm extremely picky about desserts--I'm not a sweets fan, so it has to be something special to get me to bother picking up a fork. None of these are doing it for me...but while I love cookbooks and good food, I'm probably not your target audience so yeah, grain of salt.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing in the first set looks like an ice cream cake, and one looks like a hot dessert. In the next set, E is the closest. Bombs and Baked Alaskas don't suggest uniqueness. Do you have a recipe that makes something that looks like that dessert? People will automatically look for a recipe for the image. It doesn't have to be "the" recipe as long as it looks like it. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
@cornflake @Toothpaste @Marissa D @Southpaw
Thanks again for all the invaluable feedback. I guess the problem is that there aren't any good stock images. I tried looking on some more premium stock image sites. But even though they charge a lot (in cases $50-$100 an image!) they don’t have much choice either.

I did manage to find these ones, but I think they have the same problems as the rest.

Photo K

Photo L

Photo M

Another approach I was thinking about is not to use a photo at all but just go for a fun looking vector design.

Maybe something like one of these, but with the cakes edited to represent my ice cream cakes (e.g. replacing the ice cream cones and cup cakes with actual ice cream cakes).

ALT 1

ALT 2

ALT 3

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't followed along terribly closely, but did anyone ask the obvious question: Why not take a photograph of your own ice cream cake whose recipe is in the book? A clean table, a simple plate, decent lighting, and a digital camera can produce an image that's equally free and better fits your needs.

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't followed along terribly closely, but did anyone ask the obvious question: Why not take a photograph of your own ice cream cake whose recipe is in the book? A clean table, a simple plate, decent lighting, and a digital camera can produce an image that's equally free and better fits your needs.

I've tried that in the past, but it never comes out right. Part of the problem is that I don't have access to a decent phone (or digital camera). I'll see if I can borrow a friends phone, but for now, stock images are probably my only option.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Sabrina - where are you based? Your best bet will be to hire a commercial photographer to capture an image of the cake you want to make.

If you absolutely MUST do it yourself, I can give you some tips, but you'll get the best results hiring someone who knows what they're doing.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I do agree with the others that ideally you want something on the cover that one learns how to make in the book itself. That being said, a non-dessert cover could be a clever solution. But if you really want a cake, I do think that option L is quite wonderful. It's beautiful to look at, looks "cold" and "frosty". And the title could very easily be placed at the top.

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
@Cath Thanks for the offer of tips. Unfortunately, I've got a few issues with access to a cameras and other issues, so it's not an option at the moment.

@Toothpaste Thanks for the suggestion. Whichever image I go for I'll make sure that the recipe is in the book.

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
Here is my final cover

Originally I was just going to put the text in the empty space of photo, as so:

Cover 0:

However, this book is part of a series. I want all the other books to follow the same style and sometimes it can be hard to get photos that have empty spaces for text, so I tried some different layouts:

Cover 1:

Cover 2:

Cover 3:

I know the subtitle and author name are small, but they will be on the Amazon page in large text.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Baking with ice cream??

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is my final cover

Originally I was just going to put the text in the empty space of photo, as so:

Cover 0:

However, this book is part of a series. I want all the other books to follow the same style and sometimes it can be hard to get photos that have empty spaces for text, so I tried some different layouts:

Cover 1:

Cover 2:

Cover 3:

I know the subtitle and author name are small, but they will be on the Amazon page in large text.

I like the cake centered. I don't have an opinion on the lettering because I can't see the series together and I prefer the layout and lettering in 'O'.

As for baking with ice cream, I think that's brilliant because it catches one's attention.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I agree, I way prefer O. If you use the same font for each of the books you really don't need to brand the series with a bar across the bottom or anything.

Also . . . is there any possible way to make the title look like the words are made by running a finger through the cold frost? Like this? https://goo.gl/images/8UQMZe 'Cause that would be, pardon the pun, SO cool.

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback!

I tried experimenting more with the bar design:

Ref 1:

However, as most have said, the text-over-image design is much better, so I tweaked that instead:
Ref 2:

I think it looks really good. My only reluctance over not using that design is because sometimes I have photos that don’t have room for text. However, I realized in those cases, I could just use a blur to accommodate the title.

This works most of the time:

Ref 3 & 4:

However, there are occasions where it is an issue.

Ref 5:

I thought about adding a stroke to the lettering to make it clearer, but I am not sure if it still looks good.

Ref 6 & 7:

I would appreciate any opinions.