King of the Hill

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It may just be me and kj in this thread nattering on for all eternity and debating the merits of surreal delusional pork magnate kidnapper vs. Sunshine doing an interpretive dance and the glory of the return of Appleseed, and throwing Peggy quotes back and forth but there may be others!

A thread for the underrated, unappreciated, wonderful, complex, hilarious, deep, show brought to you by the folks who later brought you the American version of The Office (especially Toby Flenderson).

Peggy, the boy!

Because I challenge you with my intellectual. <--- my fave Luanne quote.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I really wanted an episode where Dale (who was honestly the worst of the worst) saved Arlen from aliens, but being Dale, no one else ever saw them or believed they existed.

Whataburger for everyone, I tell you what.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I really wanted an episode where Dale (who was honestly the worst of the worst) saved Arlen from aliens, but being Dale, no one else ever saw them or believed they existed.

Whataburger for everyone, I tell you what.

Heh that'd have been cool -- like Buckley's ghost.

Except Dale was not the worst of the worst! I have a sorta soft spot for Dale; naive, dopey Dale. He loved his family.

Nancy, on the other hand, was the worst. :)

I'm assuming we're talking about Raney St., and Cotton is accepted to be the worst of the worst by default in a grander sense.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
KotH was definitely underappreciated. One of the few "family" cartoons that showed a healthy family dynamic in the main cast. Yes, they were flawed people, but they truly loved each other and themselves and did what was best for each other, ultimately propping each other up instead of tearing down like other shows that need not be named here.

Also Boomhauer.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Must have died in my sleep and when I woke up AW was heaven :)

ETA: and not to derail a derail but is anyone watching Tarantula? Seems to take a lot from KoH deliberately, including writers, producers, and voice actors. You can't miss Ashley Clarke.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone's pretty flawed at times, I don't know if anyone is meant to be just horrible and everyone has both moments of idiocy and ennobling characteristics. Even Nancy. Even Cotton. Dale's a surprisingly good man, our definition of what a conspiracy theorist is has shifted a bit since it was on the air. And it was a pretty understated show, but it could definitely dip into weirdness and WTFery rather adroitly (the dolphin). It certainly had its cringe-worthy moments (also the dolphin), but a lot of the Red State humor also made me laugh pretty heartily too. There was always the way you could respect Hank in his views, and sometimes even gain wisdom from him, but at the end of the episode he wasn't always the one who was right.

I think it's the best show ever by far. And the sheer number of issues that it covered, in intelligent and thoughtful ways, is astonishing. One closest to my heart is the one where all the hipsters are moving in and forcing out the families. And that was, like, ten years ago. And I love Enrique.

And Kahn was a very interesting character, he was a jerk and stayed a jerk, but became the unofficial fifth member of the gang. And you spend a lot of time getting to understand him, the episode where he becomes a redneck was pretty darn insightful.

Redneck: I do what I damn want, with who I damn want, when I damn want
Kahn: Wow, you sure say damn a lot.
Redneck: Hell yeah!

Hands down my favorite character will always be Peggy.

Peggy: You cannot save a man from drowning, Hank. If there's one thing YWCA camp taught me, it's that.

And so on. I live here now. I've found my home.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot the hipster/real estate episode, that one is hilarious (and yeah, pretty prescient) --

There's SALMON in the fish tacos, Hank! Salmon!

Is everyone a DJ?

I also like the dolphin one, for a lot of reasons. I like the Luanne/Hank dynamic in it, that she tries so to get him a gift and can't see the obvious, and that he tries so to be grateful about it; that that is a thing that has actually happened, with the dolphin; the slippers and the capers.

Also, "I never get brunch."

I remember reading some article about KotH a while ago and I think it was Greg Daniels who said that the line, 'the day before Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, one of the worst travel days of the year," was something they came up with early on (the ep was written early even if not shot til later), and that totally cemented Peggy as a character for them.

I dunno who my fave character is, maybe Luanne.

Really never liked Lucky at all.

I'm so excited other people watch(ed)!

Fave eps/worst eps?

My faves include --

Lucky Steaks (the one with the organic Co-op -- Cornuco-opia, :D)
Dream Weaver (the one where Dale and Hank go on a vo-cation to weave baskets)
Not in my Back Hoe (the one with Drew Carey as Hank's new friend Hal)
The one where Bill picks stocks, can't remember the name
The one where the guys stow away on the truck taking the furniture to Hank's mom at xmas and Luanne is back home with Peggy writing the xmas hit
The one where Hank takes his mom and her friends to look at the miniatures (I'm always there for Betty White, but that whole ep is good)

Ones I don't love --

The Pork producer who tries to brainwash/turn Luanne into the girl on the package
The one where they all get lice from Bill and Hank realizes he has the tattoo
The one with Dale's car in the quarry
The one where Bobby makes meth with Connie's cousin
Dale's dad is a gay rodeo star

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
KotH was definitely underappreciated. One of the few "family" cartoons that showed a healthy family dynamic in the main cast. Yes, they were flawed people, but they truly loved each other and themselves and did what was best for each other, ultimately propping each other up instead of tearing down like other shows that need not be named here.

Also Boomhauer.

The Boomhauer reveal with his wallet at Lucky and Luanne's wedding was one of the true tv spit-take moments for me in like, life. I think that was so perfect and hilarious and subtle.

I also love how he sings perfectly clearly.

And yes -- they're characters and to a point caricatures but close ones, relatable ones, and for all their flaws they did love each other and try and have real relationships and fight and have to make up and stuff in very real ways and I loved it. The Hank/Bobby dynamic is very multilayered in such a true way.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about Lucky and Luanne made me remember who originally voiced them.

Now I has a sad. :cry:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think my favorite line was in the "Arlentown" episode where Hank stops to help the adult film stars whose car's stopped on the side of the road. The car's got engine trouble, but they tried to fix it by changing the tire and Hank tells Peggy they can't leave the couple there because "they tried to fix an engine by changing a tire -- they'll die."

I grew up in north Texas, and I can tell you exactly where the "not set anywhere" show is supposed be taking place. I know multiples of all those characters -- I'm related to some of them. I can almost guarantee you that the "Hank joins the country club" episode was based on something that happened locally. My hometown had a golf course they wanted PGA rated, but it was attached to a country club that wasn't exactly what you'd call diverse. Per PGA regulations, they had to desegregate the country club to get their rating. That episode aired within a year, and they somehow managed to frame the same situation in way that came off as humorous.

I think if they'd ever made a live action version, they could have just transplanted the comedians who travel with Jeff Foxworthy to play the characters, then add in a couple of southern actors.

Hank -- Bill Ingvall
Dale -- Jeff Foxworthy
Bill -- Larry the Cable Guy
Boomhauer -- Owen Wilson
Cotton -- Leslie Jordan

etc, etc, etc.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about Lucky and Luanne made me remember who originally voiced them.

Now I has a sad. :cry:

I often have a melancholy moment thinking about her. I saw some of her movies, loved her in Clueless, but I do love Luanne and I was very sad when she died.

It also, every time I'm like 'hey, revivals, what's Greg Daniels and Toby doing...' makes me think, 'but... Luanne, so no...'

I had no idea there were things based in reality! I mean the dolphin thing but that's a general thing not a like, local to Texas specific thing. I'm all gobsmacked now.

I think part of the attraction for me is that I don't know those characters at all; they're not like any people I know, thus there's extra fascination.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I get really sad thinking about Britney Murphy, because it was clear there were troubles in her life (and I suspect being a young woman in Hollywood had something to do with it). The show was the one stable thing she had, it gave her a paycheck, a place she needed to be part of the year, and the ability to actually play a character she clearly loved and was invested in. I think losing that may have been harmful to her :tinfoil hat:

I think my favorite line was in the "Arlentown" episode where Hank stops to help the adult film stars whose car's stopped on the side of the road. The car's got engine trouble, but they tried to fix it by changing the tire and Hank tells Peggy they can't leave the couple there because "they tried to fix an engine by changing a tire -- they'll die."

I grew up in north Texas, and I can tell you exactly where the "not set anywhere" show is supposed be taking place. I know multiples of all those characters -- I'm related to some of them. I can almost guarantee you that the "Hank joins the country club" episode was based on something that happened locally. My hometown had a golf course they wanted PGA rated, but it was attached to a country club that wasn't exactly what you'd call diverse. Per PGA regulations, they had to desegregate the country club to get their rating. That episode aired within a year, and they somehow managed to frame the same situation in way that came off as humorous.

Harlottown is another all timer. But I think every episode post season two is my favorite. I heard they did field trips to Texas every year to get it right and accurately represent it (YMMV, Texans).

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Fave eps/worst eps?

I couldn't tell you episode names at this point. More than anything, I remember moments. My favorite/most memorable is probably the episode where Bobby starts growing roses. It's a really sweet father/son episode with some great moments in humor and emotion. Other top ones are Peggy teaching sex ed, Peggy rocking Luanne's DeeDee's baby after Peggy broke everything skydiving, and Hank and co tearing down the McMansion in the storm.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Peggy rocking Luanne's baby after Peggy broke everything skydiving.

That was a really emotional episode, I'm still impressed by it. IIRC that was actually Cotton and DeeDee's baby/Hank's brother. I liked how in the next episode Cotton teaches Peggy to walk again. He hated Peggy exactly as much as he said he did, but I think she was the only person he respected.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That was a really emotional episode, I'm still impressed by it. IIRC that was actually Cotton and DeeDee's baby/Hank's brother. I liked how in the next episode Cotton teaches Peggy to walk again. He hated Peggy exactly as much as he said he did, but I think she was the only person he respected.

Right, right. I thought I was wrong about Luanne, but I couldn't remember WHOSE kid it was. You're absolutely right, I think.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I can tell you one episode I didn't like - that was the one with all the country music stars, where Peggy "poisoned" Brooks & Dunn, annoyed the entire campsite with her "Spagpeggi," and found out that Randy Travis stole her song.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Right, right. I thought I was wrong about Luanne, but I couldn't remember WHOSE kid it was. You're absolutely right, I think.

I think. :D Though it being Hank's brother makes it a lot weirder.

I can tell you one episode I didn't like - that was the one with all the country music stars, where Peggy "poisoned" Brooks & Dunn, annoyed the entire campsite with her "Spagpeggi," and found out that Randy Travis stole her song.

I actually don't like the very last episode, when Kahn's off his meds. I mean, its funny, but that a pretty messed up and inaccurate depiction of how being bipolar works. Other than that, I'm good with all of it, never quite got into the episodes where a PC outsider comes to town and divides the community with big city talk (there are plenty of these, usually the point they're making is more subtle than it first appears, but not always).

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Kj is definitely correct -- that's a two-parter; Peggy and Hank go sky-diving in part because she's upset about Cotton and DeeDee having a baby when she wants another (and that's eventually why she decides to jump, when she hears DeeDee is in labour).

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

Oh I kind of love that one because the whole thing is so set up to show off Peggy's uhm, high self-esteem, and then it turns out Randy Travis is actually a song-stealing loony tune.

I'm not a fan of the Willy Nelson episode though; it's just boring.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Bwahaha, I miss that show.

This summer, my husband and I got into an argument about propane versus charcoal for grilling up at the cabin...about halfway through, I stopped and looked at him in horror and accused him of riffing from KotH. To which he died laughing - he wasn't, but we'd subconsciously started to drift into that territory.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I ever realized who voiced Lucky until I looked it up after reading through this thread! I still don't like the character, but man, this show had Simpsons-level luck with voice actors.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Lucky was always a little bit weird, I think they just wanted to work with Tom Petty again (because why wouldn't you). I think there was a sweetness to the way he loved Luanne despite her limitations. But he was definitely the show's Cousin Oliver.

Another all time favorite, the one with Bill's Louisiana gothic family. But then I seem to like the really weird ones,

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't watch a lot of sitcoms, and of the few cartoon one's I've seen, King of the Hill is the one I've seen most often (y'know, if there isn't a cop show on:)). It always seemed the most 'human', and the most 'real' - not too over-the-top. Even the characters looked more like clumsily-drawn humans, rather than cartoon-shapes.
My favourite episode is the one where the Tibetan lamas come to town, saying that they are searching for the reincarnation of a deceased lama, and Bobby is it.
Their test: they lay out a blanket, with the symbols of various ex-lamas on it. Bobby is to choose the one that calls to him. Everyone gathers to watch.
Bobby looks down at a mirror, and sees the reflection of his girlfriend, Connie, who is leaning over, watching him choose.
"I choose Connie" he says. One of the younger monks chastises him, saying it's the mirror, not the reflection. The older monk says, no, Bobby has made his choice, and they will continue their search.

I miss that show.