New girl at the Water Cooler.

Steph Dubs

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm Steph. I'm a wife and mom from New York who writes into the wee hours of morning while my family sleeps. I happened to stumble across this forum in my internet travels, and I'm excited to get the opportunity to bounce ideas off of others writers. I'm also fully prepared to absorb as much advice as possible from writers who have been in the game longer than I have. Writing is my passion but, as a writer, I feel like a ship without a compass. I need all the help I can get.

I've been writing for about ten years, mostly YA and romance, but I have yet to take the plunge and put my work out there. I have about seven first-draft manuscripts just hanging around. I'm currently in the process of editing a time travel romance that I'm particularly excited about, with the intentions of seeing this one through and diving into the world of self-publishing. While I, of course, have that dream of making it "big" as an author, I'm drawn to self-publishing because I like the idea of having complete control over my own work. Or maybe it feels like the best way to get my feet wet and see if I have the chops for this.

So, yeah. I'm happy to be here. I look forward to participating in these discussions and am hopeful that this is the support I need to push forward.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

You found a wonderful community to join. Regdog will provide some links with great info. Make sure to check out the sticky notes of each subforum; great info to get started.

At 35 min 48 seconds into the video below, Brandon Sanderson talks about self-publishing. You should watch it, if you are new to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBCBpNeUfYQ

Sanderson has wonderful videos on learning craft, writing query letters, plotting methods, and what not. It's worth looking through the topics, if interested.

Old videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXI_L_ZrAnXyvMfpJLlx4ng
2016 videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH3mK1NZn9QqOSj3ObrP3xL8tEJQ12-vL

Last edited:

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
I happened to stumble across this forum in my internet travels, and I'm excited to get the opportunity to bounce ideas off of others writers.

*prepares riot shield and safety helmet in preparation of bouncing*

I see you write YA and Romance; I don't think the YA and Romance boards are as busy as SFF, but you'll no doubt find some awesome writers there.

Brandon Sanderson

Dude, wouldn't it be easier to just link his videos in your signature? It would probably save you a lot of typing time ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Last edited:

Klope3

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, from another new AW user. That time travel romance sounds intriguing. You wouldn't happen to be into Doctor Who, would you?

At any rate, you should get your posts up (like I'm doing) and treat us to a few of those first drafts you mentioned. Your writing sounds right up my alley!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, wouldn't it be easier to just link his videos in your signature? It would probably save you a lot of typing time ;)

I'll be changing my signature before I start writing, so not really. Also, there was a custom video the new member may want to view.

Karasue

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Steph! I'm also new but saw you are editing a time travel romance (which just happens to be my cat nip!) As a fellow romance writer I would love to hear more about it!

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, from another new AW user. That time travel romance sounds intriguing. You wouldn't happen to be into Doctor Who, would you?

Yoi! Who fan hug: :Hug2:

Ahem. (glances around to see if anyone noticed the Whovian waving wildly).

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Dr. Who rules! :hooray:

Welcome, Steph! I hope you like it here.

Is complete control over your work a good thing? One of my novelettes was recently published only after the editor made me re-write the first 20%. She was absolutely right to do so, and the story is better for it.

Steph Dubs

Registered
Reaction score

At any rate, you should get your posts up (like I'm doing) and treat us to a few of those first drafts you mentioned. Your writing sounds right up my alley!

I have seen Doctor Who a few times, but I can't say I've ever followed it. I do know a bunch of people who are die-hard fans so I know I'm probably missing out! And a welcome to you, as well! I've been getting some posts in over the past couple of days. After I hit 50, I'm hoping to head over to the Share Your Work forum to make a post. I look forward to reading your work, too.

Steph Dubs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Steph! I'm also new but saw you are editing a time travel romance (which just happens to be my cat nip!) As a fellow romance writer I would love to hear more about it!

Welcome to you, also! What type of romance do you typically write? I had only ever written contemporary romance until about two years ago, when I decided to dabble in the time travel concept. I've been writing this monster ever since. Right now, I'm in the dreaded cutting phase (at least, I dread it.)

My FMC is the time traveler, who dozes off during an overnight shift at work and wakes up in the mid-19th century on a farm on Long Island, NY (which is where I'm from so I have some familiarly with the history in the area.) The oldest living son is a Civil War vet who had been tasked with taking care of the family after his older brother and father died in the war. He and the FMC eventually become friends and then, naturally, romance ensues even though he had already agreed to an arranged marriage at the request of his manipulative and deceptive mother. My FMC is quite flawed and had a painful childhood so I had a lot of fun with her progression, especially with an 19th-century backdrop. I loved being able to juxtapose a contemporary character who is rough around the edges with a more refined, outwardly restrained MMC.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell! I was looking for a place to post my blurb so that I could find out if it's catchy enough or if I missed the mark, but it looks like the place to do that is in Share Your Work and I don't yet have 50 posts under my belt. Thank you again for the reply. I look forward to reading about your work, and please keep me in mind if you are ever looking for someone to throw some ideas around with :)

Steph Dubs

Registered
Reaction score
Dr. Who rules! :hooray:

Welcome, Steph! I hope you like it here.

Is complete control over your work a good thing? One of my novelettes was recently published only after the editor made me re-write the first 20%. She was absolutely right to do so, and the story is better for it.

Another Doctor Who fan. I may have to jump on the bandwagon and see what it's all about.

That is a good point about control over my work. I do welcome constructive criticism and, fortunately, have relatively thick skin, so getting those helpful opinions from someone with professional experience would certainly be a good thing. It's something that I will have to keep on thinking about.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Another Doctor Who fan. I may have to jump on the bandwagon and see what it's all about.

Given your interests, I recommend starting with "The Girl in the Fireplace." Don't Google it; just watch it. Trust me. :)

That is a good point about control over my work. I do welcome constructive criticism and, fortunately, have relatively thick skin, so getting those helpful opinions from someone with professional experience would certainly be a good thing. It's something that I will have to keep on thinking about.

It's hard to find a good editor. The best editorial suggestions I've ever gotten, though, like that one I described, induced a near-immediate facepalm as I realized how much I'd mucked something up. It was like getting smacked in the face by a Monty Python dancer swinging the Salmon of Truth.

Oh, and you mentioned elsewhere in the thread potentially needing to make massive cuts. I've been there, and I have some suggestions based on what worked for me.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
The thing about Doctor Who is that the show is brilliant but consistently inconsistent, which means wherever you start, if you try and binge-watch it you end up hitting some speed-bumps. The fanbase, on the other hand, is one of the most consistently insufferable in all of fandom, so I always figure the best way to approach the show is more or less to just dive in somewhere and make whatever you want of it.

Much like writing in that respect, actually.

"The Girl in the Fireplace" is indeed a good episode to start with, as are "Blink", "Silence in the Library", or "The Eleventh Hour". There's a lot to be said for just starting at Series 1 - Episode 1, though, and riding out some of the weirder early episodes if only because it makes the later meta-continuity gags more fun. Also, you get Christopher Ecclestone and, more importantly, Christopher Ecclestone's jacket. The neat thing about the show is they frequently replace the lead actor, but they will never manage to replace that jacket.