Quit striving for perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot, please move if I'm not in the right place.

It's no secret, I've definitely struggled completing my first novel. It's not for lack of idea's but lack of confidence in my writing and getting stuck in the revision loop and self critique mode. I've read so many wonderful books and I dream of the day I can ever write so eloquently. But then somewhere I get stuck on would and editor or agent like this and then I lose sight of "whom" I should be writing for. I'm so concerned with proper grammar and doing things "right" that I'm striving for the un-achievable, and yes I know that isn't a word un-achievable but it fits so I'm using it. I'm striving for perfection and there's no such thing. I have to be honest, when I read a well published author and I find a set of " missing or spelling mistakes or even the wrong name used for one of the characters it makes me smile. I LOVE seeing errors because it makes me realize that if Nora Roberts with a slew of people working for her can have mistakes then it's ok.

So I love reading writing blogs, the ones that give me hope and inspiration, not the ones that dictate rules and what I "should" be doing, but ones that remind me of why I'm torturing myself trying to get my novel written. Why am I trying to write a novel? What is my goal? The reason why is simple, for as long as I can remember I've loved writing, there's freedom in knowing that anything is possible on paper. Maybe that's why I love those authors who have a way of sprinkling in a little magic into their work, to hell with realism. I loved the novel Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks because of Joe. It was a delightful twist in the novel and kudos to him for doing it. I want to be brave like that.

Here's a tidbit for a wonderful blog I came across and her words have really helped me.

"When you strive for perfection in your writing, you’re dooming yourself to perpetual failure. When you strive to be the best you can be, you will have a fulfilling life.

Writers who are always improving, always learning, move forward. They are secure in the knowledge that the book they wrote ten years ago is the best book it could have been given their level of craft and their understanding of the art of writing at the time they finished the book. They’re better now, so they write new things, explore new pathways.

They grow.

They also realize that they have a career, not a novel. The people who tell you to endlessly revise, the people who tell you not to try something new until you’ve mastered the old, the people who believe that you should make every word perfect before you move onto a new project, those people don’t have writing careers. They might have things that seem like writing careers, like a few published stories, one or two novels.

But they don’t make their living from their craft (in other words, publishing their writing). They also approach storytelling from the point of view of perfection, not the point of view of enjoyment.

If a flawed novel entertains, it has done its job."

These words have helped me enormously. I can learn and as long as I do MY best that is enough. I can do this, I can finish and publish a novel that is MY personal best even if it is flawed and maybe will have crappy reviews and have errors in it, but as long as I do my best, it's enough.

In other words I should take my own advice to my kids. I've repeatedly told all of my children that I don't care if they get a C- and not an A+ as long as they did their best. And that the person who does their very best and earns a C- that C- is more worthy than the A+ earned without trying. It's the effort that matters. Never giving up and being open to learning and struggling and having the guts to put out the very best even if your very best is someone else's worst.

Well I hope this all makes sense, I just needed to get it off my chest because I've been struggling and lack of self confidence was getting me down.
Thank you to those who took the time to read :)

Here's the link to the article I quoted.
https://kriswrites.com/2012/06/27/the-business-rusch-perfection/

Last edited:

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Why am I trying to write a novel? What is my goal? The reason why is simple, for as long as I can remember I've loved writing, there's freedom in knowing that anything is possible on paper. Maybe that's why I love those authors who have a way of sprinkling in a little magic into their work, to hell with realism.

Thank you for sharing! I also would have asked for those inspirational links, if you hadn't already posted one. :)

Jan, if I may ask, do you write with any expectations of an income in mind? You mentioned career writing.

I chased the dragon of trying to self-pub on a schedule for an income, and I realized it wasn't for me. I felt like there was way too much pressure to market and write quickly. I found it exhausting and it robbed me of the most pleasurable aspects of writing. That had me down for a while, but now I'm so much happier sticking to my own terms and just doing me... staying focused on that bit of magic that makes me happy to write, at my own pace.

I even commissioned an illustrator for my WIP because it's what I want, it will make me happy, and that's that. :) When I quit self-publishing a few years ago, my goal was to find a day job that wasn't too demanding and allowed me to finance my writing hobby (covers, editors, etc.) if I were to resume self-publishing again. I can go back into it without thinking about ROI and that's the happiness and freedom I need.

There will always be someone better than you (generic you), and it's counterproductive to get caught up in chasing the dragon of perfection, too. I have some classical piano scores that I've been playing for years that I still can't play start-a-youtube-channel perfectly. Maybe I never will. But I have so much fun playing them, and that's the point.

I'd be really happy if I amassed a small cult following before I died (emphasis on cult... mwahahaha, just kidding). ;) I'm happy now just to write.

HATS OFF to anyone making any money while doing something self-fulfilling and creative.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I think of professional writing as a journey. Think of Act II of a three-act novel. When the tension builds (scaling of plot points) the MC has his/her ups and downs before reaching climax of the novel. At any point in time, you go up and down these plot points till, one day, you reach some pinnacle of your abilities and you have a strong brand. You feel like you are in a setback now, like a character in a book, but you will foreshadow to another high point.

When I was in the research phase of my multi-novel series, I did not know of plotting methods. Hero's journey would have saved me time, knowing it. Somehow, my story exactly followed the hero's journey even the virgin birth. I felt like I knew what I was doing, going only on instinct. I now have the skills to increase my chances of a sale.

I watched a little over 42 hours of instruction of Brandon Sanderson and guest lecturers (YouTube). I fixed minor issues I made on my own project management of my first novel (start date of next month). I learned that without demonstration of skill, you won't make a sale. This is subjective, I suppose.

As per grammar in novels, I think there is some degree of forgiveness, so it is easier for readers to process. There may be run-on sentences, or not 100% accurate grammar. I think these help with ease of read, to an extent.

Willer

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I wish I had a patience to read trough those enormous posts above. Thus far Ive just read the title.
"When you strive for perfection in your writing, you’re dooming yourself to perpetual failure. When you strive to be the best you can be, you will have a fulfilling life."This so wrong on so many levels. But "the best you can be" doesn’t determine you as a writer for so many reasons. And it might not get you anywhere in your writing business so I would suggest perfection which you can't achieve anyway.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Its great to aspire to the highest level you can achieve in writing quality, but it can overtake the joy of it. I'm working on, when I find time, two big projects - a fanfiction set just after Rise of the Tomb Raider, which is 42 and a half pages in progress, and my first video game story. I have all but some notes, ideas, and a handful of scenes for that game. My Tomb Raider story has a ways to go, but just choosing what I think it authentic to the series, while I have only played the two reboot games and the original in recent years, is tough. I always strive to make sure my best, most compelling, entertaining, awesome ideas are on paper or screen. I want to write them absolutely the best possible. I aim for something as close to perfect as I can. I see inspiration with my favorite games and why I love imagining my stories as interactive. But with all that said, the strive for perfection at the highest level is almost a paradox, or is: knowing not all I write will be amazing (or it can!), and wanting to push every sentence to the highest quality I can. I risk spending too much time on assuring my future fans, readers, and players can consider my games or stories some of the best they've experienced. However, that's a selfish ambition. But again...its what I want.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I do think the push for perfection can stifle the muse, and take all the joy out of writing.

I will say, though, that if you intend to charge people for something you should absolutely be striving for perfection (with the knowledge that absolute perfection is a myth).

Of course, I also don't think all writing needs to be aimed at publication. IMO there's a certain amount of craft you'll never learn if you approach every story trying to figure out how to make it catch the eye of the commercial market.

And sometimes you need to noodle with no structure or destination. Noodling feeds the soul.

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
BiC (Butt in Chair) doesn't wait for perfection.
That doesn't mean you can't strive to get better. Half of living with yourself as a writer (or at least in my limited experience) is knowing when to forgive yourself. The other half is knowing when to force yourself out of your comfort zone.
Until you do this, you really don't know your true potential.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I will say, though, that if you intend to charge people for something you should absolutely be striving for perfection (with the knowledge that absolute perfection is a myth).

I might expand this thought a little (I do a different craft for a living). Perfection is ALWAYS the goal, but it's also important to understand perfection is one of those "10,000 hours to Carnegie Hall" pursuits. The reality of the approximation of perfection I'm content to deliver is a combination of professionalism, my personal ethics about what I'm creating, and visible adherence to style/rules/symmetry. When you have a craft (writing or otherwise), it's quickly apparent when someone skimps on one of those categories.

Writing is the same. Will every book win a gold medal in the writing Olympics? No. Can you create something clever, fantastic and beautiful that will make people happy, and then apply the professional due diligence of running it through spellcheck and an editor? Yes.

As a reader, I want my books to be professional. Not perfect!

FWIW, my day job boss reprimanded me this afternoon for not keeping up with my Instagram. I stopped a few months ago, because I had gotten so involved with it, and was constantly comparing myself to other (award-winning) artists to the point that when I took my own pictures, I saw nothing but flaws and it made me mental. So I proverbially threw my phone at the wall and quit. There's something about the digital age that can make you crazy in the pursuit of perfection. And the moral of that story is don't do it, don't make yourself crazy. ;)

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
The unattainability of perfection should not be viewed as a "get out of jail free" card. It's not. What is debilitating, stressful, or paralyzing is the obsessive need to achieve perfection. That's a whole other ball of wax and we're not equipped here to deal with that. If the problem is the word "perfection", choose instead to strive for excellence, mastery, or any other mindset that will propel you to learn and to grow and make that your watchword. If a level of skill is the same as it was, say, five years ago, complacency is a problem and the writer will never be the best he or she is capable of being. Being the best possible writer you can be at any time in your writing career is what you want to achieve, and that requires dedication and work.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Quit striving for perfection? Nah, can't and won't. It's served me well, even when it's caused me pain.

I'm a perfectionist about certain things in my life, and writing is one of them. BUT, I have been mortified by errors, been rejected, and received bad reviews, and lived through it. Irked, maybe, but fine.

What is perfect? Well, it's an individual thing, right? My perfection is not your perfection. I can also be a perfectionist and still decide to take a chance, step out of my comfort zone, and allow myself to be seen, even though I may be found imperfect. It doesn't stop me from striving.

It's a problem if it stops you, true, but for me, it keeps me honest in my craft.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing! I also would have asked for those inspirational links, if you hadn't already posted one. :)

Jan, if I may ask, do you write with any expectations of an income in mind? You mentioned career writing.
You're welcome :) I don't have expectations of income, my career is nursing, but of course if I publish I hope to make some money but I wouldn't say I would expect it or would be dependent on it. I have read some great writing blogs on pricing etc, so I know for sure I won't offer my work for free and I won't price it at .99cents, I will go mid-range if I have zero sales so be it.

Thank you everyone for your responses, so very appreciated!!!!!!!

It's like riding a horse, just because you get tossed off it doesn't mean you stay flat on the ground....you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on :)

ThomasH

Registered
Reaction score
This really hits the nail on the head for me. Thank-you for posting this.
As I write, I sometimes feel practically paralyzed to write another word - all because I get hit with this wave of anxiety that what I'm writing is somehow "wrong".
I find myself questioning every word choice and plot development and think to myself about all the great authors' work I've read and how their word choices seemed so "correct".

My personal path to overcoming that kind of self doubt is to keep typing. While I strive to make a career of writing, those first drafts - the core story - isn't for anybody else at that stage of development.
It's my own tale where anything is possible and most importantly, I don't feel anything can be wrong - it's my personal story after all.

Revision is where I apply the more calculated and logical modifications.
The first draft is technically my most pure version of the story in the sense that its written to tell the story I want to tell - not bogged down with technicalities.

At least, that's how I try and look at it!

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This really hits the nail on the head for me. Thank-you for posting this.
As I write, I sometimes feel practically paralyzed to write another word - all because I get hit with this wave of anxiety that what I'm writing is somehow "wrong".
I find myself questioning every word choice and plot development and think to myself about all the great authors' work I've read and how their word choices seemed so "correct".

My personal path to overcoming that kind of self doubt is to keep typing. While I strive to make a career of writing, those first drafts - the core story - isn't for anybody else at that stage of development.
It's my own tale where anything is possible and most importantly, I don't feel anything can be wrong - it's my personal story after all.

Revision is where I apply the more calculated and logical modifications.
The first draft is technically my most pure version of the story in the sense that its written to tell the story I want to tell - not bogged down with technicalities.

At least, that's how I try and look at it!

You're welcome :) The self doubt is a killer! I question myself also.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
There's also the fact that "perfection" is subjective. I mean, yeah, there are certain things like spelling and grammar mistakes or typos that writers should be vigilant about weeding out, but beyond that, a whole lot of it is in the eye of the reader. Even seemingly objective stuff like what constitutes a plot hole or a cliche is often very much up for debate. A novel that seems like a masterpiece to one person might seem like a big sloppy mess to another, which is why readers have endless arguments about whether or not a certain book is good or bad.

Rather than committing yourself to the idea of perfection or being the best, I think writers should commit themselves to telling the story that they want to tell, in the way they want to tell it. Though that is often just as difficult.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the fact that "perfection" is subjective. I mean, yeah, there are certain things like spelling and grammar mistakes or typos that writers should be vigilant about weeding out, but beyond that, a whole lot of it is in the eye of the reader. Even seemingly objective stuff like what constitutes a plot hole or a cliche is often very much up for debate. A novel that seems like a masterpiece to one person might seem like a big sloppy mess to another, which is why readers have endless arguments about whether or not a certain book is good or bad.

Rather than committing yourself to the idea of perfection or being the best, I think writers should commit themselves to telling the story that they want to tell, in the way they want to tell it. Though that is often just as difficult.

I would agree with all of that.

For instance, I've seen a few new novels on amazon with the story beginning with the mc waking up....and the sky did not come crashing down on them :) Or....the story starts off with a dream. I love that these authors have obviously chosen to toss the, don't start the story with xyz, advice. Or maybe they never knew about that "rule". I say lucky them.

Status
Not open for further replies.