• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

exercise for show don’t tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Community,

A big problem with my writing skills is “Show don’t tell”. I never find words to describe a situation how I want.
So, do you have any writing exercise for me with this topic? Any tips for improving my skills?

Bye,
Phoenix_Writer

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Phoenix- :welcome:

There are masses of threads on this 'Show don't tell' topic. At the bottom left of this page (and every page) is a site specific Google Custom Search Box. Try typing- Show don't tell - into that box and see what happens. :Hug2:

You should find links to previous threads that have dealt with this topic.

When you say you never find words, what do you mean?

The best way of broadening our vocabulary and skills - if that's what you mean- is to read stories of the kind we wish to write and see how others describe things, be it situations, scenery, characters, feelings etc.,

Don't be too hard on yourself - writing with honesty often produces better results than we think.

Good luck.

I'm sure there will be others here shortly with some tips for you.

I see you already asked pretty much the same question a few days ago below in the thread - How to master describing- Any tips or tricks?

ETA- Getting to grips with POV solves most problems, but is also one of the hardest things to get to grips with.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I don't personally find show-not-tell to be very useful. It feels like one of those rules where, by the time you understand it, you don't need it.

Emma Darwin has some great articles online about how to use both show and tell (and they are indeed both useful). I would also recommend posting something up for critique when you hit 50 and critiquing other's stuff int he meantime as a way of learning.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
There is a great quote from Chekhov about show, don't tell: "Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."

I don't know about exercise, but the trick I use is every time I want to write a statement I stop and ask myself questions. For example, I want to write: it's about to rain. Ok, so how I can show it's about to rain? What differentiate this "about to rain" for any other? How is it unique? Then it becomes: "The sun disappeared behind dark clouds, swollen bellies pregnant with rain, rolling in from the ocean."

Or

She was anxious. Ok, how do I show she's anxious? Is she kind of person who taps her foot, does she bite her nails, does she fidget in her seat, etc...?

After that, it's just practice, practice and then ask for feedback. One thing to remember is balance, sometimes there is a need to tell the reader something. It's all about finding the balance between show and tell needed for the particular story you are telling.

Hope this helps.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
So, do you have any writing exercise for me with this topic? Any tips for improving my skills?

1) Find a writing prompt

2) Write something

3) If writing on computer, print out your finished piece of work

4) Take highlighter pen

5) Remove cap from highlighter pen

6) Use pen to highlight any instances of your own writing in which you feel you've done more 'telling' than 'showing.'

7) Re-write

8) Understand that there is nothing inherently bad about "telling", and there are in fact instances in which it's better to tell something than to show it. It's all about the execution.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
"Jesus wept."

A famous and powerful line in Western culture. It's also pure tell.

I would argue that it's pure show, in its barest, most stripped-down form.

I've heard it said that if you can film it or photograph it, it's showing. Telling is anything that that explains or summarizes, whereas showing is action. It can be made descriptive and lyrical; it can be enhanced through evocative. vivid word choices or powerful imagery. But it can also be very, very simple. And "Jesus wept," an action that could have been caught on camera if anyone had had one, is the simplest form of all: noun and verb forming a tangible action you can see. It explains nothing; it only shows what's happening.

"Jesus was grieved" would be telling. It explains an emotion. It does nothing to show it.

Though in the right time and place, that might be exactly what you'd want.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's great to be aware of the difference between showing and telling,however it's one of those "rules" that can drive you crazy. I read a wonderful blog about the perils of following these rules and it was a relief to know I could say "the moon is shining" and not have to describe the moonlight. I don't need to describe the fireman, I can tell you he's a fireman. I think showing works to bring the reader into the scene and serves an important purpose, but if you are showing everything it can be a real drag to read.

Here's a wonderful blog with some great links.
https://annerallen.com/2016/03/show-tell-terrible-advice-writers/

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I imagine you are right, Beth!

A group I'm in is constantly trying to do writing prompts for "show, not tell" and it's almost always sentences like "the army advanced" (but in addition to being a terrible prompt, that suggests they have it wrong, as well... and also, nothing wrong with "the army advanced" as a sentence...)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lot of common sense stuff there.

And you're right and @Harlequin is right. Telling and simplicity both have their places. They can be used to great effect. I've never read a brilliant novel that didn't have a fair amount of telling in it.

Exactly.

Jesus wept. Hmmm I'm stuck. I think this leans more towards telling simply because if it was showing me it would be worded differently. But I'm a nobody and I don't have a degree in english or anything so I have no authority when it comes to that. But in my own head I view it as telling. And what a powerful image that is. Two words and the reader immediately can draw an image. That is the goal of any writer.

I think being blunt and to the point can have great rewards in writing. I have so much to learn!

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
It's difficult anyway because it's not written as fiction but as memoir, ish (the intent, I mean, regardless of anyone's personal views) and is of course translated.

But yes regardless, I agree any power it has comes from the context--the whole of a long history of religion and culture and what those words mean arranged together.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
There's another rule that's more applicable: if the character cries, the reader doesn't have to. But every rule can be broken by a master.

Curious if you would care to elaborate? I've read some interesting thoughts from Donald Maass on that subject. In regards to making readers cry when a character dies, for example, the most important ingredient in eliciting that reader response is in making the character's life magical/happy/sympathetic - whereas a sad death alone isn't likely to elicit that response. I'm oversimplifying, but I think part of invoking that reader response works on establishing an emotional dichotomy.

I'm going to go a step further and say that if a story is sufficiently established with that kind of complex emotional dichotomy, whether or not show or tell is being used may become irrelevant.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to go a step further and say that if a story is sufficiently established with that kind of complex emotional dichotomy, whether or not show or tell is being used may become irrelevant.

Now that's a very interesting observation. I'm inclined to agree. It can be done equally through showing or telling, if the writer has the skill to pull it off.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Curious if you would care to elaborate?

I can't find where I read that. I'm not sure I fully understand it. I think on one level it's just a variant of "Show, don't tell." Of course crying is showing, but "Show, don't tell," is relative. One of the reasons for "Show, don't tell," is to keep the writer honest. I can tell you she's sad. I can tell you she's confident. I can tell you she's a genius. But if I say she's a genius, I better be able to prove it by showing you an idea she came up with that you never would have thought of. If I just say, "She cried," there's no proof.

Instead I need to make you, the reader, understand how sad her situation is, to the point where you're crying, and I don't even have to tell you that she's crying, because you know she must be.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's another rule that's more applicable: if the character cries, the reader doesn't have to. But every rule can be broken by a master.

I've never heard this either, although it sounds like a variant of the acting advice the legendary Fanny Brice gave to an up-and-coming Helen Hayes: "If you cry, the audience won't."

I can understand the advice as it applies to acting. There's a point at which, when an actor breaks down on stage, the audience may become more invested in how the actor manages to produce tears on demand than it is in whatever plot crisis is causing the character to weep - particularly if it's a showy bit of crying.

But I don't see how writing about a character weeping means a reader won't also weep in sympathy.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard this either, although it sounds like a variant of the acting advice the legendary Fanny Brice gave to an up-and-coming Helen Hayes: "If you cry, the audience won't."

I can understand the advice as it applies to acting. There's a point at which, when an actor breaks down on stage, the audience may become more invested in how the actor manages to produce tears on demand than it is in whatever plot crisis is causing the character to weep - particularly if it's a showy bit of crying.

But I don't see how writing about a character weeping means a reader won't also weep in sympathy.

Yeah, that's the one. I couldn't remember if it was about acting or writing, and I couldn't remember the exact phrasing, so it didn't come up in any of my searches.

I don't see why it should apply any differently to writing than to acting, though. I'm not sure it's just about the audience / reader being distracted by awareness of craft. It might be akin to in a romance, holding the characters back from kissing, which gets the reader thinking, "What are you doing? Kiss her, dammit!" It gets the reader more invested in the story when they are not just watching things happen, but you make them make decisions as the character, by making the character temporarily make the wrong decision or hesitate. Likewise, if you have a character not cry when there's clearly something to cry about, you make the reader think, "It's okay, you can cry now."

Mel101

Registered
Reaction score
What helped me the most was reading. Like others have said already, find a book you like and examine how that author achieved it. Also, writing (and wanting to get what you see in your head to match what is on the page) gets you there imo. This probably isn't helpful to you, but it wasn't until I'd written a bunch, that it "clicked" for me.

I think Brandon Sanderson has a lesson on it on youtube (he's a fantasy author) that might help!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've said this before in other SDT threads, but I think it's worth repeating here: I've taken the meaning of the Show-Don't-Tell mantra to really mean "Narrate, don't explain." Now, even that expression needs to be taken as a guideline, not a rule to be applied to every narrative moment or situation. But I do think too many beginning writers tend to get "explainy" at the expense of narration, especially of good descriptive narration. Enjoyable reading is an active process in which the reader participates in the working out of the story. Don't spoonfeed explanations to the reader. Describe stuff in a way that lets the reader make the connections and explanations.

This strikes me as especially apt when it comes to conveying emotional reactions of characters.

caw

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Okay: Show, don't tell is a shorthand way of describing a whole range of techniques. The concept connecting those techniques is the idea that you want to make your reader's brain engage, to become an active participant in creating the world of the story. That engagement is what makes the story come alive for them; their own brain's activity is the difference between a story that galvanizes them and one that falls flat for them.

Here's a short list of techniques (probably not the only ones) that constitute showing rather than telling:
1) Dramatize the scene instead of having a character report what happened.
2) Force the reader to vividly imagine a sensory detail instead of informing them of what is true.
3) In dialogue, imply more than what is being said in words, so the reader must infer the rest of the truth for themselves.
4) Force the reader to put together clues to realize what happened, rather than telling them what happened.

Examples of the above:
1) Dramatize the scene: Instead of having a character drag their friend back to the cabin and proclaim, "Joe was shot!", include the scene where Joe gets shot.

Informing the reader of facts (telling) is fast, and sometimes appropriate, but it doesn't engage their brain and therefore you risk losing their interest when you do too much of it.

If the scene is unimportant (or would betray truths you want to hide from the reader for now), then go ahead and "tell" them what happened. If what happened is actually important to the story, however, then always plunk your reader down in that moment and make them witness it for themselves.

2) Force the reader to imagine sensory details: Instead of you, the author, saying, "Joe was shot and fell over", say something like, "Joe jolted backward as a spray of blood exploded from his shoulder. He windmilled into the grass."

The goal is to make the reader see this scene in their head. Informing them of facts won't do that, because their brain will do the minimum required to understand what's going on, and if it has all the facts, then it doesn't need to go to the extra effort of imagining anything. You want to force it to imagine the scene, so don't tell it facts; show it details it must put together into a scene.

I find focusing on strong verbs and nouns, as opposed to strong adjectives and adverbs, helps trick the brain into imagining the scene. I think the reason why is that it's a less common way of describing things, so the brain is less adept at figuring out what you mean. Therefore, it has to do a little extra work and imagine the scene.

As an example, I believe "dark clouds completely blocked the sun" is less likely to make the brain picture the scene than "stormclouds walled off the sun", even though the two sentences are trying to convey the same thing. The second phrasing is a little rarer to see in writing than the first, so the brain has to engage a little more.

3) Imply more than what is said:

"I don't want that stinking music at my party," said Gurpreet.
Emily turned to him, her eyes hooded. After a moment's regard, she said, "And what, exactly, is so stinking about it?"

The goal here is to avoid saying explicitly what Emily is thinking, and to instead imply it. There's nothing in the text above to explicitly say she's taken exception to what Gurpreet said, but it's implied.

When you imply information, the reader's brain has to work more to figure out what is going on. That slurps them into the story more effectively because they have to be mentally engaged and alert to the details in order to follow the narrative.

4) Force the reader to put together clues: For this one, I'll use an example. In the book The Life of Pi, the majority of the novel consists of a several engaging and beautiful stories, from the narrator's childhood and from his recent history. But some of the details aren't very believable, and also the personality of the narrator described by the stories doesn't match up very well with the narrator who is actually telling those stories. It's only at the end of the book you realize the narrator is unreliable, and he is telling you the beautiful stories because the truth broke him and he can't face what actually happened.

It's a very slow process, but the book builds you up to this realization with skill by feeding you just enough dodgy-sounding stuff amid the wonderful stories to tingle your bullshit-detector without totally setting it off. At the end of the book, a handful of new clues allow you realize what all the preceding clues meant, and your brain finally unlocks the puzzle of what was really going on. This makes for a much more satisfying experience than if the author had the narrator exposed by another character as a liar. Your brain figured the mystery out; it wasn't figured out for you and then spoon-fed to you.

As others have said, telling is a valid technique. It's only that telling risks losing you your reader's engagement, which is all that's pulling them along through your story. Showing helps keep the reader's brain engaged and working.

(As an example of when telling is completely appropriate, it's common in mystery novels for the detective to explain who the killer was at the end. This is fine, because the reader just spent the whole book trying to figure out what happened. They stayed engaged for the entire story, and the author doesn't need to hang on to their attention for much longer, so it's fine for the author to simply satisfy their curiosity and wrap up.)

For me, personally, the most helpful thing on the road to learning to show instead of tell--i.e. to find better words to use as I wrote--was the nouns/verbs thing I mentioned earlier. Try to strip out adjectives and adverbs in favour of stronger nouns and verbs; make a game of it. Once you've learned to do that well, you'll be able to add the adverbs and adjectives back in judiciously, where appropriate, because you'll have acquired stronger technique. Just remember the goal is to paint a vivid scene into your reader's head; you have to make their imagination engage, and not simply convey information to them.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I like BethS's camera analogy. I also think Blacbird's 'narrate, don't explain' is nice.

& of course, there's looking at effective writing and asking yourself 'how is the writer making me see what's happening & feel what people are feeling?' Your awareness of how the writer accomplishes the ends will help you write a more engaging story.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think "narrative scene building" versus "narrative summary" is a more useful distinction than "showing" versus "telling." Both have their place, though, and both are abundantly present in most novels.

Consider whether your reader needs to know the moment-by-moment things that happened as your protagonist, say, drives to work, if nothing interesting happens until she pulls into the parking lot. Consider whether they'd be happier reading simply, "Sue's drive to work was uneventful, but when she pulled into the parking lot, a police car waited, lights flashing, and..."

Lot of common sense stuff there.

And you're right and @Harlequin is right. Telling and simplicity both have their places. They can be used to great effect. I've never read a brilliant novel that didn't have a fair amount of telling in it.

This. For example, many of the most famous opening lines from classic novels are pure telling. Lots of use of "to be" verbs too, I can't help noticing.

http://americanbookreview.org/100BestLines.asp

Telling becomes problematic, imo, when an entire scene or story feels like a dull, dry summary, or when the reader feels cheated because they wanted to experience what happened more directly. Think how you'd feel if you were reading a book that was building up to a final showdown between, say, the antagonist and protagonist, and instead of a final scene detailing the fight there was simply a sentence that read: "And Bob finally defeated his nemesis, sustaining only minor injuries in the process."

However, narrative summary, not to mention matter-of-fact declarations of "facts" as the narrator sees them, or as a given character sees them, have a place in most stories. Sometimes narrative summary is related in such an engaging voice, or with such interesting words, that the reader forgets they're being "told" something.

Also, as others have pointed out, showing exists on a continuum. Technically, any scene describing events and actions is showing, but one can still utilize varying degrees of detail. "Showing" language can also be unembellished and to the point, and "telling" language can be quite lavish or emotional.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.