If you're hot, you know it. Right?

bead1

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting more than a few days? Co'mon. If they 'aint hollering, "send me that manuuuuscript you hotty", then you 'aint got the goods, right? If they love it, you'll know they love it. Pronto.
Q: Waiting weeks/months for a response... that's just a long time kidding yourself, check?
Anyone got picked up weeks/months after querying?
I know they're busy- I've seen slush pile live! I 'aint got no time for messin. Truth only.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If you're waiting more than a few days for an agent to respond, that means you've not got the goods, right?<--- Not even close. If they love it, come on, they'll let you know they love it. Pronto. <--- Many agents read queries as they come in, meaning they might not even see your letter for two weeks.
Waiting weeks/months for a response... that's just a long time kidding yourself, check?
Anyone got picked up weeks/months after querying? <--- I've had it both ways. Hours and months, with different agents.
I know they're busy- I've seen slush pile live! I 'aint got no time for messin.

Take a breath. Drink some calming tea. Listen to some soothing music.

work on your next thing.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've heard of agents being 6 weeks behind on queries, or longer. Nothing in this business moves quickly. Unless it's a "no response means no" agent (and most of them will note this on their web sites), they'll let you know either way as soon as they've read.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Agents don't just read queries and requested pages, and when they do get a chance to read them, it's often on their own time. Their day jobs are spent in pitching the books of signed clients to editors, negotiating contracts, reviewing royalty statements and collecting their clients' earnings, handling contract disputes, trying to help clients meet deadlines . . . and that's only a few of the things they do for their clients. They earn their commission by managing a client's career. So, yeah, getting to your query could take a while depending on where it falls in the queue.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I think I got the full request from my current agent a month after querying. It was long enough that I wasn’t expecting to hear anything.

So yes, that happens. And the same book had interest after a week on sub. Some lucky books seem to have instant interest from both agents and editors, yes, but there are many possible variables and variations.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Sometimes it takes a while. I got a partial request after an in-person pitch, then heard nothing for nine months, whereupon I got a request for a full.

After that it was only a two week wait before I got "the call" and an offer of representation.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Your premise is flawed. They can't know there's a hot query in their e-mail until they read it. After they read it, there's no reason to delay in responding with a request or a rejection.

I know of people who have waited a year from a request to offer of representation. Some agents just read everything in order of which it came in, and depending on their TBR pile that came before you, you'll be waiting a while.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Publishing is one of the slowest businesses known to humankind.

Even once you land an agent you can then be out on sub for months until the books sells to a publisher, then be waiting months for edits, for a book that launches the year after next.

Breathe. Wait. Get used to waiting, you'll be doing a lot of it...

bead1

Registered
Reaction score
Haha. Thanks. It's because of all these star authors who say they got their offer after four minutes or within 24 hrs of submitting! ;)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's funny. I've always thought my story of getting an agent and published was very close to an actor telling a story of walking down the street and being "discovered". Because it happened so quickly for me. And yet I look at your post and laugh. Because my quick story of getting an agent? Well it was two months before I heard from her. And when I did she wanted edits. So it was two more weeks before she then offered after I made the edits. And I still maintain that is crazy fast to land an agent.

Publishing works at a different pace from many other businesses. And yes of course there are always the exceptional stories, but that's why hear them. BECAUSE they are exceptional, rare, unusual. Most people can go YEARS before landing that agent. I have several very successfully published friends who spent upwards of a decade each searching for an agent.

Chill. Take a breath. And try not to compare yourself to others :) .

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
It was two months exactly before my agent requested a full, and another month before the offer of rep. Things are slow and its useless to compare yourself to others in a business that's so subjective in so many ways. Though if you want to see what an agent's average response times are, QueryTracker can help.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it was about 8 weeks from query to offer out of the slush pile, and I know that was hella fast. Everything after has been sloooowwwww. 😂

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
My first published novella was in my publisher's slush for *over* a year. I had long-since written it off, subbed it elsewhere, gotten rejections or heard nothing.

Also, those "rock star" writers who "get agents in 48 hours?" Mostly bunk. Many of them have written and published other work--stories or poems or essays--some have connections (via MFA programs or working in the business or already being famous for something else). One romance "celebrated debut author" I know of had written and queried 14 books before getting her agent. You don't know what you don't know about their journeys, but unless you're hyper-famous, it's almost never, "I got me a high-powered agent and six-figure advance in under a week."

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Also, those "rock star" writers who "get agents in 48 hours?" Mostly bunk. Many of them have written and published other work--stories or poems or essays--some have connections (via MFA programs or working in the business or already being famous for something else). One romance "celebrated debut author" I know of had written and queried 14 books before getting her agent. You don't know what you don't know about their journeys, but unless you're hyper-famous, it's almost never, "I got me a high-powered agent and six-figure advance in under a week."

Yup. Read the blogs of some of these amazing rock-star authors. Quite a few of them write candidly about all the mss. they wrote, queried, and shelved before their "instant" hit. The "I got an agent in 48 hours and a deal a week later!" blog post rarely tells the whole story. Here's a good blog post by a best-selling author about how what looks like "overnight success" may actually be the result of years of working and waiting.

That doesn't mean every persistent writer will eventually get an agent and a deal. Just that, for those that do, the process can take many forms, including slow ones. I queried different books on and off for at least five years before I got an agent, and it was three more years before I got a deal, with a different book and agent. Was it worth it? For me, yeah, totally. But if all you heard was my saying, "An editor expressed interest in my debut novel one week after my agent submitted it!", you might get a very different impression of my process.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It's also worth noting that getting an agent doesn't guarantee a career, or even a sale. It's one step in a process that's not always linear, and doesn't always end with being a bestselling author.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It's also worth noting that getting an agent doesn't guarantee a career, or even a sale. It's one step in a process that's not always linear, and doesn't always end with being a bestselling author.
Too damn right. Agented 10 yrs but still without a deal

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, and even if you do have an agent and get a publishing deal that's no guarantee of staying published, either.

For what it's worth, I got an offer of rep two months after signing with my old agent. This was years ago and it didn't even occur to me to get in touch to let her know I'd already received an offer of rep. She was just operating more slowly than the agent I went with. It's s tempting to read into agent response rates but that way madness lies!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Also, those "rock star" writers who "get agents in 48 hours?" Mostly bunk.

Story time!. Feel free to flop down in the beanbags. Hot chocolate's on the stove.

:Lecture:

So...

Those of you who've been around these parts a while may remember me posting a query. It not only got the squirrel treatment, but a friendly bite from La Shark herself - this resulted in an immediate request for the book from her, several other agents who either read the query here or on her blog, plus a request from an editor at a (legit) publishing house. Wheeeee!

The only problem? That book wasn't finished. I was working on its (weird) query while putting my primary book through the polisher.

What that weird little query did get me was a recommendation to send my primary book to another agent. This other agent I had interacted with via their blog. So off goes the primary book. Agent has a stated X-week reading window. However, she recognized my name, as did the recommending agent, so she requested the book by the end of the day. 2-days later, she's almost finished the book. A week or so later we're on the phone. A week or so later I'm signing a contract with her agency. Wheeeeeee!

After the book's gone through some edits, off it goes on submission. 30 hours or so after this, agent calls and says an editor's reading it while on vacation. She wants to make a preempt that puts the book into "major deal" territory. After I remember that respiration is required for living and accepting offers, I accept and the deal's done within 48 hours. Editor literally chases down someone from the publisher during the "we're on vacay" month and makes them do my contract and pay me, so we don't have to wait for the month to be over. Wheeeeeeee!

Edits start, but the editor and I have trouble communicating. (More accurate to say I had trouble understanding what it was she wanted from me.) We go through many rounds of arduous edits, and I still don't really understand until she switches formats and tries sending digital edits, rather than pen on paper.

I get a ginormous movie deal with a great production company and studio.

By this point, the publisher's getting wary of being on the downward crest of a wave. My publication date gets pushed back. Certain marketing / promotional things fall through. Other things happen, and the book doesn't sell through at release.

During this time, my 1st agent and I part ways (for non-nefarious, personality difference reasons; she's still a rockstar YA agent who I recommend to new writers), but I get a second agent. This one sends my next series out to a handful of places. Other books don't go out at all. Final book she sends out on submission, then while it's on submission, life happens with a vengeance and she has to scale back, leaving that book dead in the water.

Now, on agent #3, back out on submission, and things are looking good.

Wheeeee!

:thankyou:

So basically, hang in there. There's no road map. :Thumbs:

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh-em-gee!

I lurk on this thread, trying to absorb some of the wisdom but your post is nuts! I’m really sorry that happened to you, Cyia.

I wish you all the best!

PS do you have a link to your query for us noobs?

Story time!. Feel free to flop down in the beanbags. Hot chocolate's on the stove.

:Lecture:

So...

Those of you who've been around these parts a while may remember me posting a query. It not only got the squirrel treatment, but a friendly bite from La Shark herself - this resulted in an immediate request for the book from her, several other agents who either read the query here or on her blog, plus a request from an editor at a (legit) publishing house. Wheeeee!

The only problem? That book wasn't finished. I was working on its (weird) query while putting my primary book through the polisher.

What that weird little query did get me was a recommendation to send my primary book to another agent. This other agent I had interacted with via their blog. So off goes the primary book. Agent has a stated X-week reading window. However, she recognized my name, as did the recommending agent, so she requested the book by the end of the day. 2-days later, she's almost finished the book. A week or so later we're on the phone. A week or so later I'm signing a contract with her agency. Wheeeeeee!

After the book's gone through some edits, off it goes on submission. 30 hours or so after this, agent calls and says an editor's reading it while on vacation. She wants to make a preempt that puts the book into "major deal" territory. After I remember that respiration is required for living and accepting offers, I accept and the deal's done within 48 hours. Editor literally chases down someone from the publisher during the "we're on vacay" month and makes them do my contract and pay me, so we don't have to wait for the month to be over. Wheeeeeeee!

Edits start, but the editor and I have trouble communicating. (More accurate to say I had trouble understanding what it was she wanted from me.) We go through many rounds of arduous edits, and I still don't really understand until she switches formats and tries sending digital edits, rather than pen on paper.

I get a ginormous movie deal with a great production company and studio.

By this point, the publisher's getting wary of being on the downward crest of a wave. My publication date gets pushed back. Certain marketing / promotional things fall through. Other things happen, and the book doesn't sell through at release.

During this time, my 1st agent and I part ways (for non-nefarious, personality difference reasons; she's still a rockstar YA agent who I recommend to new writers), but I get a second agent. This one sends my next series out to a handful of places. Other books don't go out at all. Final book she sends out on submission, then while it's on submission, life happens with a vengeance and she has to scale back, leaving that book dead in the water.

Now, on agent #3, back out on submission, and things are looking good.

Wheeeee!

:thankyou:

So basically, hang in there. There's no road map. :Thumbs:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Oh-em-gee!

I lurk on this thread, trying to absorb some of the wisdom but your post is nuts! I’m really sorry that happened to you, Cyia.

I wish you all the best!

PS do you have a link to your query for us noobs?

I hope my post didn't come off as discouraging, because that's not how I intended it.

The point is that it's not all that uncommon. The steps are different, but things happen. Often things beyond your ability to anticipate. Things that are market-responsive and not the fault of any one person. It's a very intricate balance. Sometimes things happen quickly. Sometimes they happen slowly. Sometimes the system breaks down and sometimes it doesn't. Announcements aren't the whole story, and please don't let my story scare you. Whatever happens, you can weather it and you can still get where you're going.

And since you asked, here's the original query thread in QLH: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...standard-Query-YA-contemporary&highlight=cyia

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes. I remember that query from QS.

You have an incredible story :)

Kingson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming one is confident their query letter is the best they can do, why not query all the relevant agents at once instead of a dozen or so and then having to wait for their responses (or waiting for them to "time out") before querying another dozen etc..etc..? Why prolong the agony (so to speak)? Thanks.

Last edited: