Working with an editor at a trade publisher

Allison

Registered
Reaction score
On average, how many contacts (email or phone) does an author have with his editor
throughout the book publishing process? Once the contract is signed, can the author rely
on his editor to respond to questions in a timely manner? Also, do editors
typically read the books they work on from cover to cover?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
All my contacts with my editors (from big-5 corporate to small press publisher) have been primarily via email. I have met some in person at conferences, but that's only because we happen to have been at the same conference. It's not something that's required or expected, though publishers generally want to know if their authors will be at the same conference. At one, I was invited to take part in some of the author events, even though I'd only just signed with the publisher.

I have spoken on the phone once or twice with editors, but I HATE the phone and email provides a written copy that I can reference.

My editors respond to questions in a timely manner, yes. Usually within a day or two, even if it's just to tell me they've kicked the question up the chain because they can't answer it (but someone else in the publisher can). I also get prompt email back from the marketing folks I've dealt with at publishers.

Generally, I go through several rounds of editing with my editors. Usually starting with a round or two of content editing (where the overall book is tweaked based on their feedback and my decisions on how to respond to the feedback), then line edits, then copy editing. And yes, they've read the entire book. Multiple times.

They kind of have to read the book if they're going to be editing it properly. An editor not reading your whole book after a publisher has acquired it is a sign of a very crappy publisher.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
On average, how many contacts (email or phone) does an author have with his editor
throughout the book publishing process? Once the contract is signed, can the author rely

I'm sure the answer is "it depends," but I'll tell you my experience.

For each book, I had between 5 and 10 formal exchanges with my editor, and roughly the same number of informal/quick question exchanges. (This is over 12-18 months.) He always answered me quickly (usually within a day, but sometimes a bit longer if he was busy), but for certain kinds of queries I went through my agent.

In terms of back-and-forth on the whole manuscript - that also depends. For two of my books, I think there were 2 comprehensive full-text edits. For the third, there were a lot more, but we were debating the merits of different parts of the story so I was trying things out in a number of different ways.

As for reading...yes, my editor read all three books completely, and I'd be a little surprised to find an editor who didn't. I'm not sure how you do the job without reading the whole book.

(Also, the term is trade publishing, not "traditional," regardless of how often they're popularly conflated. :))

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com

The answer to the first two questions is going to be "it depends." Because it really does. All my communication specifically related to my books has been by email, aside from an initial phonecall my agent set up for us to chat for ten minutes or so. I really don't remember specifically how many emails I've exchanged with my editors, but over the course of the publishing process you'll end up communicating with more than just your editor--I also had communication from my editor's assistants as well as from the promotion person assigned to my book. As to timeliness--that REALLY depends on the individuals in question. Really. I've had response times from extremely prompt to...not.

And yes, as was said above, editors really do read the books they're editing cover to cover--how else can they edit it? Not to mention your copy-editor and proofreader...

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
(Also, the term is trade publishing, not "traditional," regardless of how often they're popularly conflated. :))

I just changed the thread title to reflect that; it's otherwise a bit confusing.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
My editors always responded within 24 hours. Each book (across 3 publishers) had a content editor, then a copyeditor. My contact was the content editor (also the acquiring editor), and if I had a problem with the copyeditor (only really happened once, but ooh buddy...) I went through the main editor who then served as a go-between and fixed the problem.

You have as many contacts as you need. At least 1-2 per round of edits.

Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your detailed responses! This is very helpful.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I talk to my editor at Ace a lot, usually over email as we have a five hour timezone gap between us. She's great, really helpful and responsive about all sorts of things in addition to the actual book itself.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Do they read cover to cover?!! In any legitimate trade house, the editor reads it in its entirely multiple times. First when they decide whether or not to acquire it; then in order to edit it; then to read the edited version.

I usually hear back from my editor (or PR person, if the book's at that stage) within a few hours of emailing, if it's a work day. Waiting a day or two wouldn't be cause for alarm. The amount of contact varies depending on where you are in the publishing process, but your editor is your main interface with your publisher, so there's a good deal of contract. During the editing phase, you'll have discussions about that. Your editor can and should keep you informed, either directly or through your agent, as the book goes through all the production milestones. In most cases, depending on your contract, you'll have a say in the cover design, so there's more back and forth. Once the book nears its pub date, there will be more to talk about: early reviews, marketing strategies, and lots else. At a certain point, your main contact will become the PR staffer assigned to your book, with the editor taking a back seat. But he/she's always there and accessible.

All this assume you don't make a complete pain of yourself, calling daily to demand this or that. Those writers soon find their calls are not so quickly returned, or they're returned by an assistant.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They don't read the books -- they just insert commas by algorithm. Don't tell tho; it's a secret!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
They don't read the books -- they just insert commas by algorithm. Don't tell tho; it's a secret!

It's an A.I. programmed with smell cheque and otter-correct that cane seek out eras in fuselage. (It Oslo tales me that this should bee a question, too, also, as well as, in addition too.)

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
It's an A.I. programmed with smell cheque and otter-correct that cane seek out eras in fuselage. (It Oslo tales me that this should bee a question, too, also, as well as, in addition too.)

I know you're joking, but I think smell-cheque is actually a great idea and I will download the app as soon as it's invented. Also, is it your contention that otters never need correction? They're just perfect right out of the box?