• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Have so many good writing ideas but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshlynnHeart

Registered
Reaction score
I made about eleven short novel/short story pitches that I had saved up over a year and a half. Some recent, some old. Yet, there's no desire to write any of them with the exception of one or two. Even then they fell flat on their faces. It's a waste to write them out only for that to happen. What can I do?

Caffrey

Registered
Reaction score
Every attempt to write something should add to your skills and experience, no matter how long you've been writing. Efforts that fall flat do so for a reason and if you can see that reason then you're a little bit better equipped for the future.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Not enough information. What kind of ideas do you have? Plots? Characters? Worlds? Perhaps your ideas fell flat because you had one or two of these but not all three. If you can identify which you're missing, you might solve your problem, or at least you know the right question to ask. People might be able to offer strategies for developing them. For example, here's a post about what to do if you have a world but not yet characters or plots: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...your-ideas&p=10361777&viewfull=1#post10361777

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
What do you want to do? You can do everything, from starting with exercises, prompts and improving your skills, to trying to come up with different ideas (since you have no desire to write any of the old ones), or, well, persist with the old ones (treat it as work, not fun). If you decide to persevere with those one or two that are an exception, then you can start with some fun worldbuilding, or coming up with things for your characters to do, or inventing baddies, or trying to outline the plot, even start from the end and work backwards. Or, none of the above. Go watch a movie, take your mind off writing, relax, get in the right mood, wait for more inspiration.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Did I read your post correct.... You pitched ideas (without writing anything first), and no one wants them because you wrote nothing first (to demonstrate skill)? This is a good way to get the result you found. Not sure what projects you had in mind.

Last edited:

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
I made about eleven short novel/short story pitches that I had saved up over a year and a half. Some recent, some old. Yet, there's no desire to write any of them with the exception of one or two. Even then they fell flat on their faces. It's a waste to write them out only for that to happen. What can I do?

Nothing is ever wasted when you write something down. One of these days you will find the one idea you won't be able to put down. One in a hundred. You'll finish it, get back to more ideas not going anywhere, then find that next one, again after slogging through another hundred failed attempts and ideas. Just keep at it, writing them down, attempting to work through them.

Boethius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vinemaple.net
It's completely up to you, but carrying through on an idea you like can be very satisfying. I suggest you ask yourself if you like an idea well enough to exert the effort to turn it into a polished final product. If you don't like it well enough to put some energy into it, think up an idea you like better. Repeat until you have several pieces that are as good as you can make them. This is what all artists and craftsmen do.

Most writers write many novels and short stories before they are satisfied with their work. Until you are satisfied with a piece yourself, you can't reasonably expect anyone else to like it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give up trying to get someone else to write for you, learn to write instead.

It can be done. Judging by the fact I've been learning to write for six or seven years, I've lost track, because I had a story to tell, I think you can do it. My book is almost done and I have confidence it is a story people will read.

If your stories are good, you're halfway there. Learn to write, I believe if you believe in your stories you can do it.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
You will never know if any of these ideas are worth two spits in a strong north wind UNTIL you write stories from them. Ideas are absurdly cheap, and ultimately meaningless, without being transformed into stories. It's the difference between a recipe and a meal, between a blueprint and a house.

caw

Steph Dubs

Registered
Reaction score

I apologize if I misunderstood your post, but if you are saying that you've been pitching ideas to others to get a feel for what will stick, then my advice would be to stop pitching and start writing. Look over your ideas and see which one, if any, truly excites you. If you are excited by the idea then explore it further. Start writing. The finished product may evolve to something way beyond the pitch. I would stop worrying about getting someone else to give me the green light, and focus on writing what I love. But that is just my opinion! Personally, I have manuscripts that will never see the light of day but I don't regret them. To me, those are like fun relationships that didn't work out. They weren't wastes of time if they taught me something.

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
AshlynnHeart! I have the same problem! Here's what I've been trying to do lately: just write the story. It doesn't have to be good. In fact, it might be pretty bad. But that's okay. That's how you learn to write. And not all will be bad. Sometimes you'll write a line and think, I'm brilliant! When you see glimpses of promise in your own writing, it encourages you to continue on.

Now, I know that sounds like a lot of inspirational fluff (even if it is true!). So here's something slightly more practical that helps me when I'm writing: always have an ending in mind, even if it's vague. The first story I actually had a concrete ending in mind for was the first novel I finished. It won't always work, but you'll have a better chance of finishing when there's an end goal in mind. Also: add more to your plots and add some side plots. I've often had great story ideas only to realize that the entire novel couldn't revolve around the one tiny event I really wanted to write. You must add flesh to the bones.

BonafideDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
I have been in the same boat as you. Something that I am doing to motivate me to write (this may not be for everyone), is I wrote a fanfiction version of the chapter that I have written so far. Fan fiction audiences are really passionate; the comments and their enthusiasm help motivate me to write faster.

Transformersfan123

Registered
Reaction score
I've taken years to write on an old idea. Work on what you're mind is interested in, and if it sounds awful, well, that's what editing's for! Some of my ideas sounded terrible when I wrote them out, but with a little work, it changed into something nice. :)

Breadandbutter

Registered
Reaction score

You have the desire to write one or two of your story pitches. That's great! You may focus on one story pitch that you really want to tell, or you may combine the two story pitches into one story pitch. Alternatively, you may have me as your personal, free ghost-writer. I get my experience with creative writing. I help you flesh out the story, and then, if you like it, you can go with it and change it to your liking, making it your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.