22 SAS new recruit

wyzguy

Coprocephalic, at times.
Registered
Reaction score
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in
Hi everyone. My WIP has two men who have known each other a long time. Both are former 22 SAS. The most senior will refer to the younger by a slang term used inside the SAS for new recruits. But I don't know what this term is. Does anybody know?

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
There are three current active regiments of the British Special Air Service. The 21, 22 and 23rd. That is what that means. BTW the US Army Delta Force qualification program were directly taken from the SAS program. I went through all of the psychological and physical qualification programs for Delta but opted out. I didn't want to be locked in to a ten year reenlistment.

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
Having lived and worked in Hereford, been privileged to visit both Stirling Lines and Credenhill and having met a number of members of the SAS, I believe that the term you are looking for would be either "sprog" or "crow". The latter goes way back - I think to World War I.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
"sprog" is general British Army slang for a new recruit - if there's an an SAS-specific term I'm not aware of it.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
And just for completeness, in case you are not in UK, sprog also means child, and "to sprog" is having a baby.