Name That Genre!

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
I thought a topic would be good where people try to find a slot for that oddly shaped peg.

In my case it's a time travel novel. A handful of modern characters are hurled 2,500 years into the past. They have almost no idea why and never find out. It's a story about them surviving (some of them) and adapting to a past era and encountering cultures very different from their own (as well as being an action/adventure yarn). After the initial fantastic events, the story aims to be realistic (or at least give a strong impression of realism).

What genre is it? Science fiction doesn't seem quite right, nor does fantasy. Historical? How would you market it?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If it's time travel, it's sci-fi, IMHO, though it depends on what's emphasized. There's essentially magical time travel in Diana Gabaldon's The Outlander, but it's often shelved in Romance or Historical Fiction, and I've actually yet to see it shelved with Sci-Fi or Fantasy; the romance/history angle gets the most emphasis, and is what the publisher chose to focus on in marketing. And that's the primary purpose of genre, really: marketing a story, helping steer potential buyers.

If the action's emphasized, pitch it as action. If the history is emphasized, consider historical fiction. My advice would be to look at a comparison title on the shelves now, and see where it appears/how it's primarily categorized. Use that to guide your own focus when pitching it.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
What sort of readers would enjoy your book? Fantasy fans? Science fiction fans? Historical fans? General fiction fans?

Whatever the answer is, that's your genre. You market to the people who would want what you're selling. Genre is not meant to be an accurate labeling system; it's a funnel to guide the right sorts of readers over to your book.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I'd shelve it as speculative fiction.

SF if the mechanics of the travel matter to the plot, fantasy historical if not.

For genre bending time travel and beyond, I recommend Michael Moorcock (Dancers at the End of Time is good.)

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
Naturally, everyone should be interested in reading my novel. :) But if folks are looking for high-technology, space travel or alien worlds they're not going to get them, nor dragons and spell casting. (Not putting those down, I'm a fan.) I suppose target readers would be those interested in ancient history and ancient cultures, and what it would be like to for moderns to get up-close-and-personal with those people. What would it reveal about our own time? What would it say about our sense of progress? And, of course, readers interested in a rip-roaring good yarn.

I suspect "fantasy historical" is probably the best slot.

Thanks for the references to Moorcock and Gabaldon.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Fantasy doesn't mean dragons and spellcasting--that's only one type (same for high tech and space; Scanner Darkly is scifi, afterall).

If the speculative elements are only a framework to show the story you could get away with querying spec fic I reckon.

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
One problem is that when I scan the categories that agents are interested in, speculative fiction is rarely one of them, but science fiction and/or fantasy often are.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
One problem is that when I scan the categories that agents are interested in, speculative fiction is rarely one of them...
Some agents use spec fic as a catch-all phrase meaning SF/F. It likely means they are very familiar with SF/F, maybe even fans.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Also, anyone who asks for spec fic almost always means adult sff without you needing to check (though you should always check). A lot of agents who say they take sff actually mean ya when you look through their mswl and so forth... sigh.

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
Alternate history might be the best fit. The characters do end up changing history though it's not something they planned to do ahead of time.

OneWhoWrites

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a short story that plays out like an episode of The Twilight Zone. It's about a modern day college girl who starts seeing a counselor and realizes her best friend since childhood is an imaginary friend/schizophrenic delusion. It's told from the imaginary friend's point of view.

I'm really not sure what genre something like this is. Any help is appreciated and I can provide more information if need be.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
What's your end goal with nailing down a genre?

Are you pitching the book to agents or editors? Or are you looking to self-publish it?

OneWhoWrites

Registered
Reaction score
What's your end goal with nailing down a genre?

Are you pitching the book to agents or editors? Or are you looking to self-publish it?

I'm both looking to pitch it to publishers and to be able to post it in the correct SYW forum here

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It would just be contemporary or literary (for SYW) unless there's a speculative element of some kind.

Well, given that (from the poster's original post) it's time travel with modern folks going back in time, I'd say SFF, unless the author is looking specifically for critique specifically about the historical aspects (which in that case, History might be the better bet).

I guess for SYW, it really depends on what the poster is looking for in terms of critique.

As for agents/editors, it's fine to say something like "...my 100,000 word alternate history novel with a literary bent" or "historical novel with a time travel bent" or something like that.

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
The poster, OneWhoWrites, offered up a different kind of story for genre consideration than the one I did originally.

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, given that (from the poster's original post) it's time travel with modern folks going back in time, I'd say SFF, unless the author is looking specifically for critique specifically about the historical aspects (which in that case, History might be the better bet).

I guess for SYW, it really depends on what the poster is looking for in terms of critique.

As for agents/editors, it's fine to say something like "...my 100,000 word alternate history novel with a literary bent" or "historical novel with a time travel bent" or something like that.

Thanks for the comment.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Maybe! This thread got a little confusing!

But in general, if pitching to an agent, pitch what the book is (i.e., a 100,000-word literary novel about capitalism told from the point of view of three ducks. A 65,000 young adult novel about best friends from Maine who fall back into stone-age Finland.)

For SYW, choose the forum that best fits the section you're asked to be critiqued and what you want to be critiqued in the piece.

As for self-publishing... take a look at Amazon categories and BISAC subject codes.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If it's a story about modern people sent back into an (arguably, at least) realistic historical period, the best comparison title I can think of is Galbadon't Outlander. As others have said, genre is about picking the readership that a novel is most likely to attract. Outlander is generally categorized as historical fiction or romance, because those are the story elements that come to the fore. The time travel is merely a vehicle for getting the protagonist into the past where she meets here "true love," and adapts to a time period that is different from ours but fascinating to many reaers.

Contrast this with, say, Connie Willis's time travel novels, where there is travel to historically interesting periods (that pull the protagonists in) and sometimes even romantic elements, but the way the time travel mechanics function are always an important part of what drives the plot, and there's still a back and forth between the pov of academics at the Oxford time travel lab who are trying to figure out what went wrong with the characters' "drop." Those books are categorized as science fiction.

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
Outlander is closer to the mark. The time travel mechanics aren't central or other issues like affecting the present. The crux is the characters surviving and adapting to a different time with healthy doses of action, adventure and romance. But the time and place are not well known history like 18th C Britain.

It's set circa 500 BC in a Greek colony on the northeast shore of the Black Sea, the outer fringes of the Greek world at the time. While the Greeks treat the time-castaways well, the MC, a young woman, doesn't relish the Greeks' severe paternalism. Later she ends up with a band of Scythian horse nomads, whose culture is much more egalitarian. DNA findings of Scythian warriors found in burial kurgans show that about 30% of them are women. They're not only decked out with armor and weapons but have battle wounds to show their bona fides. Perhaps just as interesting is that nearly all the warriors, men and women, are buried with spindle whorls. In Greek culture, spinning thread was strictly women's work. Apparently with the Scythians, everyone spun thread. Other evidence, too, suggests gender role fluidity. For example, there was a tradition among them where occasionally a retired male warrior would transform himself into a woman (symbolically?) and become a priestess.

I thought it would be interesting (and it certainly has been for me) to take a look at the two contrasting cultures from the point of view of a modern person. One might argue the Scythians, while quite warlike, were more advanced from a gender-equity standpoint than our own society. What would it be like to live among them? Anyway, I suppose historical fiction might be the best place to shelve it.