• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

onomatopoeia in the text or not? What’s your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Writing-Community,

I don’t know how do you find it. But in my opinion, onomatopoeia—So, write the sounds in the text—is a good way to describe a scene.
Why should I write He crashed against the wall when I can write Whoom! His face hit against the wall, or so.
But what’s your opinion on this topic? Do you use it?

Bye,
Phoenix_Writer

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't find anything wrong with the type of example you show. I think it's a matter of personal preference and what one thinks works in the eyes of the intended reader.

It always reminds me of those little cloud bubbles that appeared in comics above the superhero when he was knocking seven bells out of whoever.

I should remember, but I honestly can't remember if I used an onomatopoeic expression or not.

ETA- Just checked, and yes, I have - A sharp click! echoed round the hall.

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
It's a very good way to describe a scene. Especially in children's books :Thumbs:. On the other hand, "Dracula greedily sank his teeth into his new victim's neck. Nom, nom, nom!" might be a bit off if you 're trying to scare an adult reader.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Why should I write He crashed against the wall when I can write Whoom! His face hit against the wall, or so.
But what’s your opinion on this topic? Do you use it?

It's a style choice. I have used it, but rarely. Frequent use would probably work best in children's books. There's something rather comic-bookish about it.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I don't think the use of an onomatopoeia needs to be as obvious as your example... but as was said, it's a matter of style.

The crackle of distant gunfire echoed through the empty streets.

I heard the bang bang bang of gun shots from someplace far away.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of the old, 1970s TV show called Batman. Comic book bubbles would appear when violence occurred. When a punch landed, they'd only show the "Bam!" or "Pow!" on the screen.

I think these are great for breaking up the monotony, but use it sparingly in YA or adult.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
The right word could be a fresh sprig of rosemary on a bloody gore steak.

Squish.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Out of interest, I have tried hitting my head against the wall, and not once has it whoomed.

It's bonked a couple of times, then banged, and thudded but no whoom. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

It is throbbing now, if that helps...

Not true (honest...) but just wanted to use a few onomatopoeic dictionary words rather than "purely" onomatopoeic. I think I would find these less intrusive as a reader, but I wouldn't hesitate to make up my own if I felt the need.

JoB42

Registered
Reaction score
When I was back there in elementary school, the teacher asked us students to write about our morning. Just describing what happened. I don't remember everything I wrote in that assignment, but I do remember writing in the "plop plop plop" of the cereal pieces hitting the bowl.

The teacher loved it. I felt good, really happy. The switch flipped in my brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.