Greetings from Cairns, Australia

ChristopherJ

Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow authors. Took me a while to get here. Had an agent in the US and two publishers, all of whom failed to market my works properly. Sacked them, eventually, after they threatened law suits on me and I got my IP back. I then self published on Amazon, but all they ever did was promote everyone else. So, I gave up for a year and focused on other things.

2017 saw me focus on my elderly uncle and getting him into a nursing home, which is now achieved. He wrote his autobiography in 1990s, but lost the manuscript. It was on Amazon, so he must have had one, but lost all his emails and contacts over the intervening years and Amazon wouldn't send it to me, even when I gave them a copy of my Enduring Power of Attorney. (What an evil company they seem to be...) So I set about recreating it (scanning and fixing the text), rewriting the bad bits, adding new photos and finally finished the project in December with a new cover adapted from one of his old photographs.

This exercise gave me renewed vigor, so I went online to get some new covers made for my two novels. I'd done the previous ones and they were terrible, no wonder I didn't have any sales except to family and friends. I've attached the results and recommend Fiverr and Upwork as places to seek out talented artists and people to do a webpage for you. I'd penned 40k words on the third novel in series and, when I had time, started writing again. Now up to 57k and can see the end in sight.

Amazon had done nothing for me either, but it wasn't easy to cancel my books, just a terrible company to deal with, but I've already said that.

I know some are not fond of Ingram Spark, but from the research I did, I decided to go with them. The uploading process is a bit tedious first time, you've just got to know what they want and line up the four files required for an ebook and print copy. The good thing is that their distribution partners is a big list and your books are automatically picked up by the big and small players all around the world.

I'm just about to invest a few hundred dollars in hard copies and intend to sell at my local markets which have a big tourist element, so hoping word of mouth can help. But the profit on sales will also help my dwindling savings and income.

My big task is not just to get eyes on the book - it's to get more reviews from those that read it. Facebook is little help, same with Twitter, everyone is selling something and I have more author friends than reader friends, but will persist. I am also going to open a Wordpress account as I've been blogging by commenting on sites like nakedcapitalism, macrobusiness and theaimn sites. I post these to fb and get the usual suspects sharing but little other engagement, noone wants to know just how bad things are for everyone.

So, I am here to offer advice and also to listen to what others are saying. I hope to help you as much as I get help in my own quest.

Can't seem to work out how to add an image from my computer, so the covers will have to wait until next time...

With my thanks for reading this, Chris

Chelle_J

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, fellow aussie. I also couldn't figure out how to get a picture. I found a help article here somewhere that says you need 25 posts, but then I've seen others with a pic that have fewer... who knows!?

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow authors. Took me a while to get here. Had an agent in the US and two publishers, all of whom failed to market my works properly. Sacked them, eventually, after they threatened law suits on me and I got my IP back. I then self published on Amazon, but all they ever did was promote everyone else. So, I gave up for a year and focused on other things.

2017 saw me focus on my elderly uncle and getting him into a nursing home, which is now achieved. He wrote his autobiography in 1990s, but lost the manuscript. It was on Amazon, so he must have had one, but lost all his emails and contacts over the intervening years and Amazon wouldn't send it to me, even when I gave them a copy of my Enduring Power of Attorney. (What an evil company they seem to be...) So I set about recreating it (scanning and fixing the text), rewriting the bad bits, adding new photos and finally finished the project in December with a new cover adapted from one of his old photographs.

This exercise gave me renewed vigor, so I went online to get some new covers made for my two novels. I'd done the previous ones and they were terrible, no wonder I didn't have any sales except to family and friends. I've attached the results and recommend Fiverr and Upwork as places to seek out talented artists and people to do a webpage for you. I'd penned 40k words on the third novel in series and, when I had time, started writing again. Now up to 57k and can see the end in sight.

Amazon had done nothing for me either, but it wasn't easy to cancel my books, just a terrible company to deal with, but I've already said that.

I know some are not fond of Ingram Spark, but from the research I did, I decided to go with them. The uploading process is a bit tedious first time, you've just got to know what they want and line up the four files required for an ebook and print copy. The good thing is that their distribution partners is a big list and your books are automatically picked up by the big and small players all around the world.

I'm just about to invest a few hundred dollars in hard copies and intend to sell at my local markets which have a big tourist element, so hoping word of mouth can help. But the profit on sales will also help my dwindling savings and income.

My big task is not just to get eyes on the book - it's to get more reviews from those that read it. Facebook is little help, same with Twitter, everyone is selling something and I have more author friends than reader friends, but will persist. I am also going to open a Wordpress account as I've been blogging by commenting on sites like nakedcapitalism, macrobusiness and theaimn sites. I post these to fb and get the usual suspects sharing but little other engagement, noone wants to know just how bad things are for everyone.

So, I am here to offer advice and also to listen to what others are saying. I hope to help you as much as I get help in my own quest.

Can't seem to work out how to add an image from my computer, so the covers will have to wait until next time...

With my thanks for reading this, Chris

Hello there from Melbourne. Sounds like you've been through a lot. Wow. Hope everything works out for you.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chelle_J

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Chelle
Where you? What you writing?
I'm NSW mid north coast. It's been years since I've been up around Cairns. My kids want to head up that way again because they were too little to remember the all you can eat chocolate (and coffee) out Mareeba way and they feel ripped off ;)
I used to write crime/romance stories but then life got busy and I've only written academic papers or done copywriting/SEO for ages. I'm just trying to dust the creative brain cells off... but it's a slow process...

ChristopherJ

Registered
Reaction score
I'm NSW mid north coast. It's been years since I've been up around Cairns. My kids want to head up that way again because they were too little to remember the all you can eat chocolate (and coffee) out Mareeba way and they feel ripped off ;)
I used to write crime/romance stories but then life got busy and I've only written academic papers or done copywriting/SEO for ages. I'm just trying to dust the creative brain cells off... but it's a slow process...

Lovely part of world Chelle, my parents had a house at Batemans Bay. Don't think I can do your climate now, too used to being warm every day and every night. Hope you get creative again, never too late and thank you for replying to me and making me feel welcome

McKelleon

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I have been poking around and found a few affordable placed for covers too. If you want to go the freelance way you could also look at Guru or FreeLance for artists. I'm also a member of a FaceBook group called Band of Dystopian Authors and Fans, where I came across Lost Atlantis Designs. They do really good work, from what I've seen, and I will likely give them a shot with my own cover this year. Welcome to AW!

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
Perth, WA here.

I've just taken 4-5 years off from a punishing writing schedule and am back into it harder than ever. (Funny how that happens!) The break has done wonders, believe me: I finished one 75,000 novel in 3 weeks, and another is 1/4 done after three days. I've been known to take 6-8 months per novel, so clearly things are flowing nicely.

Cheers
Simon

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome, ChristopherJ. Sounds like you've had many trials and legal tribulations over the past few years. Here's hoping it's smooth sailing from now on.