What is the scope of a story?

fatmanny1901

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very new to writing and deciding to try to tackle the ideas in my head. I'm trying out the Leviathan method, which is telling me to write a paragraph describing the scope of the story. I can't find a clear answer when searching as to exactly what it is I am supposed to be doing. Does anyone know?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Fatmanny1901, but I have to ask - what have you done for the past year - writing related, that is?

A story has a beginning, a middle, and an end, and takes place 'somewhere'. The main character usually has a problem to solve, or an objective to reach, and usually solves the problem or achieves the objective by the end of the story, perhaps after a few setbacks en route.

What is the story idea in your mind?

I'm not sure what your real issue is here.

Have you read stories of the type you wish to write?

Last edited:

fatmanny1901

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Bufty. I haven't don't a lot of actual writing. It was around this time last year where I started to write, mostly doing flash fiction stuff on the site here, but haven't spent much time actually building framework, so that's my goal now. My problem is that I'm supposed to write out the scope, but I don't know what the scope is, let alone how to write a paragraph describing it. I want to build a world in the Fantasy genre. I'm starting to read the more well known series (The Wheel of time, The Kingkiller Chronicles, Mistborn, etc.) Is the scope the same thing as a synopsis?

So, basically: What is the scope and how do I write it out?

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me, but Google Leviathan Method - and read it -The Kitty one at the top. It explains what the scope is and it couldn't be clearer.

I just googled it and I don't really understand your problem.

Do you have difficulty googling, perhaps?

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is the "Leviathan method" being referred to in the OP.

This is the section about scope, about the range or compass of a particular story.

Finally, this isn't really a BWQ; it's more an SF/F question. I'm going to check with the appropriate mods about moving it there.

ETA: After checking with the various Mods, I'm going to move this to Novels, since it's not really a genre-specific question.

For those interested in the Leviathan Method, there's a Scrivener template for Leviathan as well.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I just googled it and I don't really understand your problem. Do you have difficulty googling, perhaps?
*I* have difficulty googling, because I have dialup internet, and I didn't know what scope specifically meant in context when Manny asked me in chat the other night.
Welcome, Fatmanny1901, but I have to ask - what have you done for the past year - writing related, that is?
Since I don't know what scope is, would you like me to outline what *I've* done over the past year that's writing-related so you can decide if you should bother being respectful to me as well?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very new to writing and deciding to try to tackle the ideas in my head. I'm trying out the Leviathan method, which is telling me to write a paragraph describing the scope of the story. I can't find a clear answer when searching as to exactly what it is I am supposed to be doing. Does anyone know?

"Scope" refers to the size of your story. Not the word count or number of pages, but how much story terrain it covers. Is it a story about one fateful day in the life of a character? Is it a story covering one year in the tangled lives of certain people living in a small town? Is it a story about an intergalactic war, told from the perspective of three differenct alien races? Is it a story about a character caught up in historical events spanning three continents and ten years? Are there many characters and plotlines or are there only a handful of characters and single but compelling plotline? Stories that are large in scope will have many characters, plotlines, and potentially could take place over a large geographical area and possibly a long period of time (though not necessarily). A story that's narrow in scope will be focused on fewer characters with one or two conflicts.

There's no right or wrong answer; all they're asking is for you to write a short paragraph explaining what your story does.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting method. Will look into it properly later.

Thanks for the question, OP, and for the links, Lisa.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
as Beth says.

It's spending some thought on the ground you want to cover.

Helliconia has vast scope, thousands of years and a full cast of characters through the ages.

Mrs Dalloway has a much narrower scope; one person, a handful of hours, intensely examined.

fatmanny1901

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for the replies! That clears it up for me much more than I was able to find elsewhere. Much appreciated!

So far, I like this method because it starts small and gradually gets me to make things bigger. I have issues with staying on topic or keeping things linear, so I have found that this keeps me on track and gets me to pull out the details in some kind of order. I like building framework and am definitely not a pantser. Hopefully someone stumbles across this method and can help them too.

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't say I am familiar with the system but I'm so glad you find it helpful, Manny, and that's the main thing.

(pardon the name abbreviation but I can't bring myself to call someone fatmanny). :Hug2: