How can I write awesome action scenes?

Phoenix_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Writing-Community,

The great stuff of a movie is you can see the action directly. It’s a big challenge to bring this level in words.
Ok. Not every action scene is good. But there are examples in Hollywood where do you have fun to watch. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2 is one of these.
It’s just boring to write: Character XY jumped out of the window.
So, here is my question. How can I write action scenes which be a great fun for the reader to read it? You know á la Guardians of the Galaxy.

Bye,
Phoenix_Writer

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
The best thing you can do is read as many different battle scenes in books as you can find to get a taste for the type of action you like to portray.

Some personal favorites of mine are Joe Abercrombie's The First Law and Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns.

A great craft book I read recently is Writing Fight Scenes by Marie Brennan. I found it helpful because she details all of the factors that go into a fight, physical, mental, surroundings, and also gives basics about a wide variety of weapons.

Finally, Youtube is your friend. I was watching some great unarmed vs. bo combat this morning for research.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So character XY is jumping out a window. What's the situation around them that's forcing that jump? What's the view out the window? How far up? God, the ground looks far from here. Did you mention they have vertigo? But that other situation makes it necessary to jump. Shit, the window won't budge! They have to break the glass. Now they're bleeding. It's now or never. Jump! And they have the plunge down to figure out how to land, and, owwwwww, just broke their leg. But no time to nurse it, because situation.

It's never just character XY doing a thing. It's always about the details that ramp up the tension.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert as my action scene writing is from years ago, but most bad fight scenes I've read are bad because there's simply too much information given. Too many actions, adverbs, emotions - all things that slow the pace and detract from the thrill you want your reader to feel. A particular thing I've noticed is authors describing not only what their MC is feeling during the action but what their MC notices other characters doing and what your MC thinks those characters might be feeling. The MC simply doesn't have time to register all of this when action is happening - they're necessarily focused on them, and what they're experiencing. When the action slows down they'll probably notice quite a lot then that they didn't in the heat of the moment.

So I guess what I'm saying is short is more effective than long, with adverbs and adjectives used sparingly and carefully selected. Sometimes I learn most by reading someone doing it wrong than doing it right.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert as my action scene writing is from years ago, but most bad fight scenes I've read are bad because there's simply too much information given. Too many actions, adverbs, emotions - all things that slow the pace and detract from the thrill you want your reader to feel. A particular thing I've noticed is authors describing not only what their MC is feeling during the action but what their MC notices other characters doing and what your MC thinks those characters might be feeling. The MC simply doesn't have time to register all of this when action is happening - they're necessarily focused on them, and what they're experiencing. When the action slows down they'll probably notice quite a lot then that they didn't in the heat of the moment.

So I guess what I'm saying is short is more effective than long, with adverbs and adjectives used sparingly and carefully selected. Sometimes I learn most by reading someone doing it wrong than doing it right.

I think there's a balance to be found here, because if you only write the action, the next action, the reaction, the follow-up action, it's going to lead to some boring scenes, and probably confusing, scenes. You're given some poetic license to have the characters notice more than is normal for a real fight and to comment on it. After all, what they're visually seeing and reacting to needs to come across to the reader. What you need them not to notice is easily left off, but what you need them to notice needs to be communicated to the reader. Emotions can also ramp up the tension, so it's a matter of using what is needed and only is needed.

Adverbs and adjectives are a different subject, really, since they should be used in moderation anyway.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Read action scenes. When you write, make sure you've set up the action well. We should know the place and stakes.

"John heard the door smash downstairs. Voices approached. He grabbed the duffel from next to his bed and peered out the window. He could reach the nearest branch, but he didn't know if it would hold him. No choice. He stood with his upper body out the window and got his fingers around the branch. His feet swung free and he moved his hands along it toward the trunk. The branch cracked."

If you had to stop the action to explain why he was running or that there was a tree, the scene would be less effective. Also note that sentence length varies and not everything is a complete sentence. Btw, it's key that the reader has a reason to care. If the reader doesn't care, nothing will be effective. That has to be part of the setup too. It's where those emotional bits come in.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a few things I've found to be very helpful when writing action scenes:

1. The most important part of the action scene is in the set-up. Does the reader know everything so you don't have to suddenly go into information mode? If not, go bad and add in that the character does whatever somewhere natural. Make sure you've got the risks spelled out so the reader doesn't have to wonder what's at stake when the action scene hits. (Hint: repeated action scenes where it's only the character's life loses impact unless the character has extreme high human worth.) That way you can focus the action scene on the action.

2. it helps to keep the focus on a single character's actions at a time. Keep it tight in their POV, so they see, hear, smell, sense immediately and react.

3. Do not forget to show the impetus for each action.

4. Remember to put all senses and any changing emotions in as well as actions. That will keep it from reading like a step-by-step dance instruction.

5. High action=short(er) sentences. Short(er) sentences have stronger punch. Use it to best effect.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
While dialogue may help reveal more motivations, don't ruin a good battle with too much talking! That, and if it's a long battle, keep the thoughts short but plenty so the reader doesn't get tired, and never forget all the moving parts (I.E. Quill doing will the fighting against the giant space slug while Rocket and Co. sit scratching themselves)