Hello to all

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm Criccieth - started off in England, then moved for many years to Wales (hence the name - it's a Welsh town) and for the last 5 years in Ireland.

I've been interested in writing for years. Main problem seems to be disciplining myself to finishing things!

I'm interested in various genres:

children's (upper Junior school) - a series, set sort of sideways.
history - medieval mystery
urban fantasy

I belong to a very informal writing group and intend to get my butt in gear and actually enter some comps/submit something to magazines etc this year.

C.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

What do you write, mostly (novels, short fiction, other)?

You found an excellent community.

Chanan12

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler of Greatness! if you want to talk Medieval send me a message, I love me some 12th century.
I'm in the same boat as you. I have over twenty stories completed and unfinished, and one loosely compiled novel. Some are only a few lines long. I want to submit asap.

You will find everything you need here. There is a thread for everything from writing to submitting to editing and dealing with publishers. True treasure trove.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all.
I'd LIKE to write novels, but I'm also trying to do some short stories. I have a tendency to be VERY wordy, so an attempt at a short often seems to peter out when I hit 5000 words and have barely got started! I've tried NANO a few times and tend to end up with 50,000 words that just go round and round and round.....kind of like a university lecturer I used to have who never used 10 words when 500 would do, bless him!

As for era: 12th century interests me, Edward II of England (13th century, obv) interests me but my favourite is 15th century England - I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Ricardian ever since I was trying to write about the court of Henry VI and went and bought Penman's The Sunne In Splendour: Loyaulté me Lie

Deserae

Registered
Reaction score
if you want to talk Medieval send me a message, I love me some 12th century.

Does that extend to other people too? Cause I've got some crazy medieval questions I can't find the answers for! I'd love to ask someone who knows a bit more. Just let me know!

And welcome to the community,Criccieth! I'm new too so I don't know much yet, but if you ever want someone to read your work, I'm open to beta read! Depending on when you send it, it might take me a little while (like if I have finals or something), but otherwise I should get it back pretty fast! PM me if you have anything you want looked at!

Reaction score
Thank you all.
I'd LIKE to write novels, but I'm also trying to do some short stories. I have a tendency to be VERY wordy, so an attempt at a short often seems to peter out when I hit 5000 words and have barely got started! I've tried NANO a few times and tend to end up with 50,000 words that just go round and round and round.....kind of like a university lecturer I used to have who never used 10 words when 500 would do, bless him!

As for era: 12th century interests me, Edward II of England (13th century, obv) interests me but my favourite is 15th century England - I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Ricardian ever since I was trying to write about the court of Henry VI and went and bought Penman's The Sunne In Splendour: Loyaulté me Lie

I'm the exact opposite! I think it comes from having to be extremely concise in writing math proofs and scientific papers, but I have a hard time writing a ton of words. When I write a story, I am straight and to the point. Everything I've written just naturally turns into a short.

Anyway, welcome! I'm new too, so not much of a welcomer, but welcome nonetheless.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'd LIKE to write novels, but I'm also trying to do some short stories. I have a tendency to be VERY wordy, so an attempt at a short often seems to peter out when I hit 5000 words and have barely got started! I've tried NANO a few times and tend to end up with 50,000 words that just go round and round and round.....

Brandon Sanderson has some wonderful videos on YouTube that may help. I put the links in another poster's welcome (announcing she is from Alaska in the thread title). There is a link on short stories. The gentleman who gave the lecture on short stories, tells of tricks to minimize to the essentials to tell your story. This might be of interest.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Thank you all.
I'd LIKE to write novels, but I'm also trying to do some short stories. I have a tendency to be VERY wordy, so an attempt at a short often seems to peter out when I hit 5000 words and have barely got started!

Welcome! Might I suggest trying your hand at Flash Fiction? When you're restricted to a 1000 word limit, you've got to make every word count. It might help you to become more concise, and re-evaluate the way you open your stories. I'd suggest Drabble too (100 words) but I don't think you're ready for that.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
Does that extend to other people too? Cause I've got some crazy medieval questions I can't find the answers for! I'd love to ask someone who knows a bit more. Just let me know!

And welcome to the community,Criccieth! I'm new too so I don't know much yet, but if you ever want someone to read your work, I'm open to beta read! Depending on when you send it, it might take me a little while (like if I have finals or something), but otherwise I should get it back pretty fast! PM me if you have anything you want looked at!

What sort of period? And of course, where? Cause I know a bit about 15th Century England and bits that ripple out from there but beyond that......

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW! It's well worthwhile starting on short stories - it really helps to tech self-editing and condensing prose to meet word limits for things. My novel could easily be 30k words longer if I hadn't spent a lot of time cutting out lots of unneeded words/replacing 3 words with 1 perfect one. I lost one entire (*sigh* good) chapter by replacing it with three lines earlier on, and working on short stories allowed me to see where I could cut the fat.
History interests me greatly as well :)

HisWrite

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

I feel your pain with the finishing things comment. Lately the only thing I have finished is a sandwich! :p

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy::hooray::snoopy:

I challenged myself! I came upon the suggestion for a 75-word story - and to my own surprise I actually managed it!

On an almost :snoopy: note: my writing group gave ourselves the challenge to write a 500 word piece of flashfiction this month. I was at 650 words with the final scene still to do.....I'm now at 450 words.......but still have the last section to do......and :rant: I don't know where to go....Still, I've another 7 hours to work on it!

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I hope you find what you're looking for here. There are plenty of people who are willing to help, should you need it. :)