What Movie Do You Hate, But Everybody Else Likes?

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderwoman and Boondock Saints. Both are dreadful and unwatchable to me. Wonderwoman really seems to be a love/hate for most people.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
The Breakfast Club.

There. I said it. After 30 years it feels good to come clean.

Grrrrrrrr. I think I've seen it over 200 times to the point where my wife won't watch with me. I quote every line in the movie. It's most fun when it's on tv, and they try to put in different words for all the foul language, but I keep saying the original line.

For me, anything with Leo DiCRAPrio in it. If I know he's in it, I don't go see it. Automatically hated. Except Django Unchained. In that one he gets shot...in the head, I think. His best scene so far. I don't know why I hate him. I remember liking him on Growing Pains.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
For me, anything with Leo DiCRAPrio in it. If I know he's in it, I don't go see it. Automatically hated. Except Django Unchained. In that one he gets shot...in the head, I think. His best scene so far. I don't know why I hate him. I remember liking him on Growing Pains.

It's possible because he did such a terrible job in 'Titanic'. Having him try to play a grown man out to seek his fame and fortune in the world with his teenage baby-face and crackling pubescent voice was the height of mis-casting. Every time I saw him try to romance Kate Winslet I thought I was watching an episode of the 'ABC Afterschool Special' warning about premarital sex between a teenager and an adult. Then, what a joke when he had to stand up to Billy Zane and try to intimidate him with his scrawny frame and underdeveloped muscles. Even my 'suspension of dis-belief' couldn't carry me through that laughable performance.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with top gun, and anything with Tom Cruise in now is an automatic no from me. The first couple mission impossible films were good but anything else he just annoys me.

As for recent releases, everyone seems to love the new Thor film but I hated it. When they first announced ragnorak I was so excited but then I saw the trailer and my heart sank. Why do marvel feel the need to make everything funny now? Its like they were terrified of adding any tension or drama to that film. I don't want a one liner every time something serious happens. Everyone else I've seen taking about it loves it though.

Crowned in Fireflies

Registered
Reaction score
I saw some comment about someone not liking Interstellar because they didn't understand time dilation and didn't think it was real. That really hurt to read as a science nerd, and I almost forgot what movie I was going to post.

Anyway, the movie I hate, that others seem to like, is A Christmas Story. It's a dumb, pointless movie of unrelated events, none of which are particularly entertaining, and the only good part was when he shot his eye.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I saw some comment about someone not liking Interstellar because they didn't understand time dilation and didn't think it was real. That really hurt to read as a science nerd, and I almost forgot what movie I was going to post.

Yeah, I think they understand time dilation.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The only time dilatation I understand is the kind that made me feel I'd aged forty years watching Interstellar, when my watch said it had only been four hours.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I understand the kind of frustration inherent in the thread's title. There are few things worse than when you hear all these rave reviews a movie is getting, how it is just the bestest movie ever, so you go to see it, only for it to suck so bad, you're like "Did we even see the same movie?!" At least with bad movies that get bad reviews, you can enjoy a little "Misery loves company" with it.

My movie is Sin City. I was so keyed up to see it, because nearly every review was raving and going gaga about all the stunning visuals. I will be fair and say that initially, the visuals are cool, but good visuals cannot save a movie that is utterly hollow to the core. Sin City pretty much has all the worst accesses of Frank Miller's work, yet everyone, even some of the critics known for having feminist views, just adored it, despite all the women being corpses or whores, like nearly all of Frank Miller's oeuvre.

While the reviews of Man of Steel are way more mixed, I still really, really hate that movie. There are bad movies and then ones that go so far that after a while, you're like, "All right, now this one is personal!" I'm honestly wondering if I should get that treatment seen in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, because I am in danger of alienating everyone in my life with all those frothing rants about the movie, rants that usually have me going, "I will have Zack Snyder's head on a platter made of gold." I am currently trying to hold back and not do a frothing written rant about it right here and now. Can't afford to alienate real world friends or strangers on the Internet.

The Germ

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like pretty much any Miyazaki/Ghibli film. Every single one of them puts me to sleep. They remind me of that guy that can't get over how smart he is because he went to college, and just LOVES to hear himself talk. Spirited Away in particular just rambles on and on, quite pleased with itself.

I was unimpressed with Get Out, but everyone else in the world raves about it. I saw his girlfriend turning on him long before it happened, and nothing really even happened in the whole movie. He killed everyone and got away. Yay. The bad guys seemed pretty one dimensional; I don't remember one of them having a good side/non-ridiculous motives. I will say that they had an interesting concept with the whole taking over someone else's mind like that and how that would go down in our society. I just don't think they went far enough with it.

Yeah, not really scary or suspenseful or thrilling. Nothing like what all the hype made it out to be IMO

Also, this. All the way. People hyped Get Out so much, I was expecting some life altering experience. It was, um. Stepford Wives.

Sam Artisan

Held captive by angry blue elves.
Registered
Reaction score
Aaah all my friends loved Guardians of the Galexy but it's always bothered me XD the music is great but the humor feels like it relies too much on mocking the characters for their problems instead of genuine character dynamic, and that's just the beginning. Disclaimer, though, i'm not a fan of space-travel setting in general so I could be more sensitive in that particular series.

I do love pretty much every other Marvel franchise, though!

KBaum1608

Registered
Reaction score
Pulp Fiction. Travolta and Tarantino both have a huge ick factor for me.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know its blasphemy, but 2001 is so overrated its not funny. I've tried to get through it but invariably it bores me into slumber. :e2yawn:

April Days

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Reservoir Dogs - I am not the most squeamish person in the world, but this was gratuitously violent.

Scarface - Pacino's horrible accent may play a part.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Mad Max: Fury Road.

It had no plot. It was just a bunch of chase scenes stuck together. I ended up turning it off about 3/4 of the way through.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, the movie I hate, that others seem to like, is A Christmas Story. It's a dumb, pointless movie of unrelated events, none of which are particularly entertaining, and the only good part was when he shot his eye.

Sorry, but this is the greatest Christmas movie ever! You're crazy!!!

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
I have never seen more than a few minutes of any Star Wars movie. The thought of sitting through one fills me with dread: the space travel/space wars/sci fi genre in film is more boring to me than watching golf. And I hate golf.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I have never seen more than a few minutes of any Star Wars movie. The thought of sitting through one fills me with dread: the space travel/space wars/sci fi genre in film is more boring to me than watching golf. And I hate golf.

Then of course, you loved 'Caddyshack':)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A70-7475

The only thing that will "go on" is my snoring. :e2drown:

KBaum1608

Registered
Reaction score
^ I refuse to even watch Titanic. Changing such a tragedy into a....that. It's the principle of the thing. There's an entire generation out there that has no idea what happened to the real Titanic because they think it's a sappy work of fiction.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, the movie I hate, that others seem to like, is A Christmas Story.

Sorry, but this is the greatest Christmas movie ever! You're crazy!!!
I know, right? - I like it even better than It's a Wonderful Life. :Shrug: